Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheel offsets questions

Quote Originally Posted by UnhuZ View Post

About understeer, none here... i thought i would get some with the weight savings,
    but nothing... it's like a go kart... i turn the wheel and it instantly turns the front...

Nuno
    Hi Nuno, well today I installed the Cedar Ridge Compliance Clamp, it was so so simple to install and WOW!!! what a difference it has made to the way it turns in and just feels through the wheel, I strongly recommend this device to anyone who thinks their NSX has perfect handling.

http://www.cedarridgefabrication.com/NSX_Suspension

A big thank you to Kaz for suggesting to try it, it certainly has given me exactly what I was hoping for in terms of handling.

Cheers
    Last edited by Pride; 09-02-2015 at 07:34 PM.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Quote Originally Posted by UnhuZ View Post
    Pride, the NSX-R and Momo Tuner are 350mm.... our OEM is a little bigger, 360 or 370mm

Momo Tuner it's also available in 320mm, but i think it's too small.
    The OEM airbag steering wheel is 367mm in diameter. A 350mm wheel is just under 5% smaller, so the amount your hands have to move for the same angular rotation, for example a quarter turn, is similarly 5% less. It is this that makes it feel so much more direct. The weight will only make a tiny, probably unnoticeable, difference.

My EPS equipped Type S came with an airbag wheel and when I changed it, for a 350mm Momo tuner, I was also surprised how much effect it had

I agree that the 320mm (14% smaller) wheel will be too small and likely feel very (too) heavy.

Cheers

Mark
    The older I get, the faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    The OEM airbag steering wheel is 367mm in diameter. A 350mm wheel is just under 5% smaller, so the amount your hands have to move for the same angular rotation, for example a quarter turn, is similarly 5% less. It is this that makes it feel so much more direct. The weight will only make a tiny, probably unnoticeable, difference.

My EPS equipped Type S came with an airbag wheel and when I changed it, for a 350mm Momo tuner, I was also surprised how much effect it had

I agree that the 320mm (14% smaller) wheel will be too small and likely feel very (too) heavy.

Cheers

Mark
    Thanks Mark, great info, I was actually struggling with the thought of the weight of the wheel making all the difference in how the car feels and responds, so the 5% smaller diameter with the Momo would no doubt make all the difference as you suggest.

Now fully happy with that explanation I think what I will now do is retrim the very worn, totally smooth and very very slippery old leather wheel in Alcantara, that, I think would then give me instantly a terrific feel, grip and great looking red stitched new-old wheel.

Also for just over £100, that's approximately a quarter the price of the Momo, boss, Honda horn button and technical issues trying to retain the cruise control functions as well as keeping the airbag feature, I'm surprised other NSX owners haven't done this before, but if they have I would love to know what they thought of the end result.

All the best
    Pride
    Pride.

2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

Hi,

well... i tried a Integra Type-R steering wheel, that had similar weight but smaller diameter and
    the steering feeling was similar of that of the OEM steering wheel.... i still think that the more
    than half weight saving is what changes it all.... but to each his own.

Retaining the cruise control function is pretty simple with 2 easy solutions:
    1 - Sparco $50 cruise buttons
    2 - 2 buttons elsewhere in the console

Nuno

Have a search on Prime. An S2000 wheel is slightly smaller, thicker-rimmed, retains and airbag and can be used with cruise buttons specific to tthat wheel. The S2000 didn't come with cruise in the UK. I have one on my car and fitted a couple to other members cars on here.

Great info guys, thanks for your help.
    Pride.

I drove my car again today along some familiar favourite twisties along the A273 towards Goodwood and I truly cannot believe the difference the compliance clamp has made to the way the car handles at both low and now very high speeds with much more feel and confidence in my driving.

This is how it works:

The factory front suspension includes a device called the compliance pivot assembly. The assembly consists of an upright member that secures the front control arms. This member pivots and is dampened by rubber bushings to absorb shock to the chassis to improve rider comfort. Besides the rotational movement, the rubber bushings allow inwards deflection of the front control arms which leads to dynamic toe change during load. These clamps fix the upright assembly into place decreasing toe change during braking and cornering which improves handling and stability with out noticeable decrease in ride comfort.

Installation is easy, and can be accomplished within a half hour. High grade mounting hardware is used. 10mm socket cap bolts use special zinc plating for a high durability and high strength finish (will not corrode like black oxide bolts).

One things for sure, it's never coming off.

Cheers.
    Pride.

Hi,

i also got them from Dave and i will install them.....but it will be a big while until
    i drive my NSX again

Nuno

Re offsets again- does anyone know are the oem wheels set in close to the body and not further out to 'fill the arches' as it were to facilitate handling or are there other reasons? I'm presuming the oem 15/16 sits in there for a purpose and I'd love to know what that is and if it's part of the handling Magic the nsx has.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieburke View Post
    Re offsets again- does anyone know are the oem wheels set in close to the body and not further out to 'fill the arches' as it were to facilitate handling or are there other reasons? I'm presuming the oem 15/16 sits in there for a purpose and I'd love to know what that is and if it's part of the handling Magic the nsx has.
    Hi again jamieburke.
    One of the many features of the origanol 15/16 oem design was the use of high profile stiff sidewall tyres, this gave a more comfortable compliant ride while still filling up the wheel arch with rubber. Also when high speed cornering, the stiffer than usual tall side wall tyre maintained keeping the maximum tread footprint on the road surface.

By the early to mid nineties tyre technology for high performance road cars leapt forward a pace and it was no longer viewed acceptable for supercars to have such small wheels, so larger wheels with very low profile tyres were all the vogue with the added benefit of allowing larger brakes to be installed and a mindset with tuners that the bigger the wheel coupled with ultra low profiles the better, hence 15/16's were looked down on.

Having had 17/18 chrome wheels on my car for the first 15 years of ownership it wasn't until last year that I decided to refit the origanol 15/16 wheels wrapped in 205 50 15 (front) & 245 45 16 Toyo R888 rubber that I came to realise as to why this car was declared by the worlds motoring journalists at the the time to be amongst the finest if not the best handling supercars ever made.

It completely transformed the way it handled before then and now after replacing front and rear Swaybars with the Dali street/race set up along with compliance pivot lock, I can honestly say it feels more akin to driving a luxury go kart and a long long way from how it used to feel. In fact to the point now that I'm going to change the steering wheel with a Momo 350mm tuner to complete the ultimate transition.

And to think I had in mind of upgrading my suspension and installing the bigger brake set up which would have cost 4 times as much to do. I'm so so pleased that I took this route instead.
    Pride.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast