Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheel offsets questions

Default Wheel offsets questions

Are the offsets on the oem 1991 set up like that for reasons of handling or are there any other reasons? With larger wheels the offsets tend to push the wheels out more- is this aesthetic or a there any handling benefits?

i find it all confusing. I have driven my car with wider offset 17/18 wheels and it drove terribly in comparasin to the oem 15/16 set up.

most posts and info seem to focus on how light wheels are or how good they look. Please inform me beyond this point!

Quote Originally Posted by jamieburke View Post
    Are the offsets on the oem 1991 set up like that for reasons of handling or are there any other reasons? With larger wheels the offsets tend to push the wheels out more- is this aesthetic or a there any handling benefits?

i find it all confusing. I have driven my car with wider offset 17/18 wheels and it drove terribly in comparasin to the oem 15/16 set up.

most posts and info seem to focus on how light wheels are or how good they look. Please inform me beyond this point!
    Hi jamieburke, for the first 15 years of ownership I drove my 92 NA1 with 17" front and rear Stilauto chrome wheels I bought it with. And boy did they look good.

About a year ago I bought and fitted the oem 15/16 wheels with Yokohama 888 rubber and it totally transformed, for the better, the way it handled. I only wish I'd tried it years ago.

This Monday I will be installing the SOS compliance pivot lock which is said to make it handle even better according to many Prime reviews but without sacrificing its ride comfort.

I find it very strange that although we NSX owners already know we have one of the finest handling cars ever made, we also strive to improve on it in our own minds eye. It's like searching for the golden Grail really.

I will let you know how I get on and what I think soon, hopefully for the better, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Last edited by Pride; 07-02-2015 at 10:52 PM.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Pride,

i made 2 upgrades to my NSX that completely transformed the handling for the better... a lot better (not counting with coilovers)

1 - NA2 NSX-R front swaybar.... incredible.... it's thicker and i can't believe how sharp the front became.
    2 - NA2 NSX-R Steering Wheel... again, incredible....together with the swaybar, made the front like a go cart... immediate
    (didn't use the OEM NSX-R MOMO, $1000, but used the MOMO Tuner, $160, which is the same with just a logo difference.

i would love to try the 15/16 OEM setup, but now i can't... i have the 2003 front and rear rotor sizes and the OEM 15 can't
    go over the fronts

Nuno

Hi UnhuZ, forgot to mention that I too have changed the front and rear Swaybars with Dali street/race about 6 months ago and you're right it made a huge difference, as you put it, go kart like handling.

But Please explain if you could as to why changing the steering wheel made such a significant improvement in the way it handles as I can't get my head around that one.

Thanks.
    Pride.

2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

Hi,

i wasn't expecting it either, but after experienced it, and comparing with other NSX still with
    OEM steering wheel, i came to a simple conclusion: Steering wheel weight.

the NSX-R Steering wheel assy weight (wheel + hub/boss) is a lot less than OEM steering wheel.

- NSX-R Steering Wheel + Hub/Boss weight = 1120g + 970g = 2090g
    - OEM Steering Wheel + SRS unit = 2970g + 1560g = 4530g

as you can see, it's less than half the weight

As to why, i can compare it with OEM flywheel vs Lighter Flywheel (like JUN).

The mass helps to smooth the sharpness of the engine rpm variations to pass to the
    transmission. You get a lighter flywheel, and you will have a more responsive throttle.
    Your input in the pedal will be passed faster to the rear wheels, because the crank can
    pass the power easier to the transmission as it has less mass to rotate.

On the steering wheel it's the same, you have less mass to deal with when you turn it,
    and on the other hand, road input will be passed to you more easily, which will increase
    your steering feeling - like when the rear tries to rotate

When you use lighter wheels, like Advan or Volks, instead of boat anchor wheels, you
    will also feel the same as with a lighter flywheel.

It's my only explanation.... that and if Honda use lighter steering wheels on NSX-R and
    NSX Type S, they meant something...and not only to save weight in general

Nuno
    Last edited by UnhuZ; 08-02-2015 at 05:16 AM.

From what I understand about the NSX suspension, you will screw up the scrub radius if you mount rims that don't have enough offset. This reduces the self centering of the steering and makes the car darty on bad road surfaces.

What I also experienced by swapping the heavy blingy 18/19 rims put on the car by DPO with a set of 17/18 advans is that the suspension does not like heavy rims. Its designed to work with lightweight wheels. Unsprung weight is always a big factor though.

@Nuno
    I think I have to try the NSX-R swaybar ...

Did you also do anything with the rear sway bar?

From my personal experience, normally you will get more understeer when you only stiffen up the front.

Bernhard

Hi Bernhard,

nope... my rear swaybar still is the OEM that came with the car.

About understeer, none here... i thought i would get some with the weight savings,
    but nothing... it's like a go kart... i turn the wheel and it instantly turns the front...

Nuno

Quote Originally Posted by UnhuZ View Post
    Hi Bernhard,

nope... my rear swaybar still is the OEM that came with the car.

About understeer, none here... i thought i would get some with the weight savings,
    but nothing... it's like a go kart... i turn the wheel and it instantly turns the front...

Nuno
    What are your alignment specs?

Bernhard

Quote Originally Posted by UnhuZ View Post
    Hi,

i wasn't expecting it either, but after experienced it, and comparing with other NSX still with
    OEM steering wheel, i came to a simple conclusion: Steering wheel weight.

the NSX-R Steering wheel assy weight (wheel + hub/boss) is a lot less than OEM steering wheel.

- NSX-R Steering Wheel + Hub/Boss weight = 1120g + 970g = 2090g
    - OEM Steering Wheel + SRS unit = 2970g + 1560g = 4530g

as you can see, it's less than half the weight

Nuno
    hi again Nuno.

What size is the standard OEM diameter 320 or 350???

As you know my 92 is a non pas model so would it be better to fit the 350mm model???

And lastly any idea on what the steering boss part number is but please don't worry if you don't.

cheers again.
    Pride.

Hi,

Bernhard, i use OEM alignment, i.e. what the alignment machine on the tire shop has.

Pride, the NSX-R and Momo Tuner are 350mm.... our OEM is a little bigger, 360 or 370mm

Momo Tuner it's also available in 320mm, but i think it's too small.
    For the Steering Boss, the Honda NSX-R OEM one is a MOMO, and the part-number is 78512-SL0-Z01

Thanks,
    Nuno

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast