Thread: MODIFIED NSX- what would you do?

Default MODIFIED NSX- what would you do?

On trawling the Internet it's clear that many people modify their nsx way beyond factory spec.

the question is, what direction would you go?

1- trying to update it to compete with modern machinery,f458, gtr etc by large wheels and tyres, aggressive offsets, engine builds and forced induction etc

2- modifying with modern suspension and tyres to create even more of a 'Japanese lotus' than we already have. Making it more of what it is I suppose.

which direction would you go?

i feel that the Japanese lotus is more likely and in keeping with the original ethos of design, whereas trying to make it perform like a modern sports car is more a re engineering exercise rather than just modification, with the possibility of much of this re engineering losing the magic of what the original car provides. However, I have neither done this nor driven one llike that so I suppose my statement is just speculation, I'd be very interested to hear your opinions!

modify to keep up or treat it as a modern classic?

many thanks
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 07-02-2015 at 10:17 PM.

Number 2 will be easier and a lot cheaper than number one.

3.0 or 3.2 will be one of the main influencing factors if you want an easy process, in the end the result is determined by your budget or lack of it.

To go for Japanese Lotus, you wil have to lose some essentials that some might not want to let go off, AC, TCS, Insulation ( there is a lot of it ) and get a new suspension to balance it out.

Power is easy if you trust your tuner or have the fortitude to DIY.

Dont forget the brakes!

I'd leave the competition to today's sports cars to V2.0.

As a classic car I'd restrict mods to what Honda/Acura offered up to 2005 (including CTSC if you like). I shake my head seeing those guys in the US going turbo/widebody etc. Before doing extended mods I'd check if a Type-S or Type-R from Japan is within the budget. If not I'll choose an NA2 coupe (>1999) with some minor mods.

For me, modifying means enhancing performance while keeping the original character of the car.

its the same as with my Triumph TR6. It has way more HP than stock but I would never swap the gearbox for a modern 5 speed because this will ruin the overall driving experience and unique character of the car.

Bernhard

modification is all down the individual owners wants, needs and preferences! there's not much to change on a NSX to improve on the original design, but that doesn't stop people modifying them to their own tastes

my 1937 ford model Y is completely stock, and all the better for it, except the bits i've changed in order to improve on the original design... engine, box, axles, brakes, steering, wheels, tyres, lighting, dash, seats, etc, etc, etc ...
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Ary thanks for that- so the reduction in weight means a new suspension set up? How is your turbo set up coming along?

i think changing suspension is a case of ' the oem set up is 20 years old it MUST need changed' though with slightly stiffer springs with the original dampers it pitches much less under hard braking and is very responsive to drive. feels spot on really.

thanks for the responses!

I don't want to modify anything which would affect the performance or ride characteristics on mine, I want it to drive in the way that Honda intended it to drive. If I wanted it to drive like a more modern car, I would have bought a more modern car

MC

Quote Originally Posted by jamieburke View Post
    Ary thanks for that- so the reduction in weight means a new suspension set up? How is your turbo set up coming along?

i think changing suspension is a case of ' the oem set up is 20 years old it MUST need changed' though with slightly stiffer springs with the original dampers it pitches much less under hard braking and is very responsive to drive. feels spot on really.

thanks for the responses!
    Jamie, I believe the suspension works as a whole, shocks, braces, roll bars, etc, and if you take too much weight off the car will ride higher and change it's characteristics, might even get too much air at the front!

Amo is the one with the Turbo set up.

Installed the Cedar Ridge compliance clamp today, took all of one hour and boy it transforms the handling, still feels relatively compliant but turn in so much better and handling out of this world.

Strongly recommend this upgrade.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  