Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Yellow NSX restoration

1. Default My Yellow NSX restoration

Recently got my car back from Kaz after a full engine refresh- thanks again Kaz, the car is driving very smooth and feels great!

Before It went to Kaz I didn't really spend too much time cleaning it up apart from a quick polish before Japfest last year. As the Engine bay is nice and clean thanks to Kaz, its time to work on the other areas! So first up was under the front compartment:

It was very dirty with just under 150k miles and I don't think this area had been touched before. Kaz had already cleaned the area surrounding the new radiator.

The area under the bonnet was full of grime and worrying if corrosion sets in more.

Removed the spare tyre to give a quick clean for now, it will require more work on another day.

used some citrus degreaser and some brushes to agitate the dirt and then onto a steam clean. I would recommend removal of the battery and tray.
    Formula Red NA2
    Imola Orange NA2
    Yellow NA2

2. Default

After I was happy with the area I wanted to add some protection to repel dirt and water, usually I would use a good sealant and wax by hand but in this case due to hard to reach areas I chose a quick spray sealant. Spray on and rinse off.

A quick test to show it works...

Dried the area thoroughly with cloths and a air dryer to ensure no moisture is left behind.

Hopefully should give a few months protection and will work on the area some more in warmer weather. I treated the underside of the hood, used some metal polish on the aluminium areas and treated the spare tyre with megs tyre gel-this is important as the rubber will crack if left untreated over the years. 303 aerospace protection added to plastics and rubbers.
    Formula Red NA2
    Imola Orange NA2
    Yellow NA2

3. Default

Quite happy with the results after only a couple of hours. Probably will never use the spare but I can feel the difference in balance with it removed and prefer it in.

Guess what's missing?!

Signed by Jenson in 2004 so tried not to scrub too hard.

a few rusty brackets and bolts which I plan to replace but treated with rust stopper for now.

cheers,

Mike
    Formula Red NA2
    Imola Orange NA2
    Yellow NA2

4. Default

Kaz already cleaned the bay after his recent service on my car but after nearly 900 miles on horrible winter roads dirt started to build up. I always wash the car after driving in winter as soon as I get home normally. Wiped down the engine bay and looks great again.....just need that red nsx r manifold cover I think...
    Formula Red NA2
    Imola Orange NA2
    Yellow NA2

Good job on the clean up, you can always get the engine plate powder coated or spray to match?

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AR View Post
    Good job on the clean up, you can always get the engine plate powder coated or spray to match?
    Cheers,

I have a spare Manifold cover so will try with the red VHT paint and see how it looks...alot cheaper too!
    Formula Red NA2
    Imola Orange NA2
    Yellow NA2

Why don't you mask off the surrounding area and put a couple of clear coats over JB's signature?

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Why don't you mask off the surrounding area and put a couple of clear coats over JB's signature?
    It is on in permanent marker and I have put a good sealant on it, plus its been there since 2004 so just have to make sure I dont overclean it!
    Formula Red NA2
    Imola Orange NA2
    Yellow NA2

Quote Originally Posted by mjames75 View Post
    It is on in permanent marker and I have put a good sealant on it, plus its been there since 2004 so just have to make sure I dont overclean it!
    Or you could cover in clear vinyl like they use for stone guard (or clear bra as the Primers call it) ... I've used this in the glove box to protect the autograph I have in there ... nice touch having JB's autogrpagh

When I followed the blog I presumed it was your car in with Kaz ... nice way to begin ownership
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

10. Default

A Wash and wax before going in the garage, Lots of new bits ordered, mainly nuts and bolts and new wheel nuts- I hate the oem locking nuts! they stick out too far, not sure if I need them.... Alloys will be refurbed soon with new centre caps.

Still no sign of clutch slip despite 151k miles on original clutch.
    Last edited by mjames75; 03-02-2015 at 10:49 PM.
    Formula Red NA2
    Imola Orange NA2
    Yellow NA2

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast