Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Photos of the new production ready NSX

sounds like student tosh to me!

i've conducted a small poll of the cars on the drive and their front calipers... Nsx front mounted, Avantime front mounted, Jensen interceptor rear mounted, hotrod (vauhall viva based suspension) rear mounted...

it all depends on where the rack is! if the rack is behind the axle, the calipers go at the front, and vice versa!!! the caliper is where the steering arm isn't!

it follows with the rear of the NSX, the caliper is at the front of the wheel because the toe control arm is at the rear.. simples really, it all depends where the designers decided to put the steering control!

with his hellcat analogy, the calipers more than likely moved because there's an enormous engine that has been shoe-horned into the bay, and i suspect the rack was causing clearance issues... (base model is a V6, the hellcat has the longer V8)

brake cooling is just ducting to the centre area of the disc vents, so goes to pretty much the same place be it in front or behind the axle and is a flexible link anyway usually. it's the hard stuff that dictates the positioning!

the only time it's got anything close to exotic is in F1 where the caliper has been used at the bottom in an attempt to get the c of g lower.... but then again they do have a strange suspension layout
    Last edited by britlude; 18-02-2016 at 11:02 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post

i've conducted a small poll of the cars on the drive and their front calipers... Nsx front mounted, Avantime front mounted, Jensen interceptor rear mounted, hotrod (vauhall viva based suspension) rear mounted...

it all depends on where the rack is! if the rack is behind the axle, the calipers go at the front, and vice versa!!! the caliper is where the steering arm isn't!
    I'm sure there's more to it than just hardware linkage positioning on the NSX2 though Jonathan.

For example, I've also just conducted a poll of supercars that are not on my drive such as Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani, Maclaren and even R8 among other exotic supercars, where, I'm sure forced frontal air ducting for the brakes have made the manufacturer place the calliper to the rear of the front disc for that reason alone.

Agreed, on "run of the mill" sports cars/cars positioning of the calliper is not so crucial in the design as suspension and steering linkage positioning. But forced airflow from the frontal area of the NSX2 and others is I'm sure vital when driven on the limit.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post

it follows with the rear of the NSX, the caliper is at the front of the wheel because the toe control arm is at the rear.. simples really, it all depends where the designers decided to put the steering control!

with his hellcat analogy, the calipers more than likely moved because there's an enormous engine that has been shoe-horned into the bay, and i suspect the rack was causing clearance issues... (base model is a V6, the hellcat has the longer V8)

brake cooling is just ducting to the centre area of the disc vents, so goes to pretty much the same place be it in front or behind the axle and is a flexible link anyway usually. it's the hard stuff that dictates the positioning!

the only time it's got anything close to exotic is in F1 where the caliper has been used at the bottom in an attempt to get the c of g lower.... but then again they do have a strange suspension layout
    I used to think that too, but with double-pivot lower suspension, it ain't necessarily so!

Here's an F-Type to except your rule:

Just depends how they choose to stuff ALL the bits in...
    Last edited by Nick Graves; 19-02-2016 at 05:05 PM.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Got to agree with Jonathon here, must be just a matter of where it fits.

If the calipers were being repositioned for cooling then surely you would want them at the front of the disc where they would pick up cold air, not at the back where the air has already passed the heat source of the disc

Olly

Having said that, with the NC1, it would actually seem to be the ARB which would most conflict with a forward caliper location, as much as the caster control links:

Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

interesting review of the car here ... not sure if posted already

https://youtu.be/GUDLUSqfqxg
    "The value of life can be measured by how many times you soul has been deeply stirred" - Soichiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by lotusolly View Post
    Got to agree with Jonathon here, must be just a matter of where it fits.

If the calipers were being repositioned for cooling then surely you would want them at the front of the disc where they would pick up cold air, not at the back where the air has already passed the heat source of the disc

Olly
    I may be missing something but I thought the main purpose of cooling was discs (being the biggest heat-sink in the braking system) not calipers/pads - cooling is to prevent disc-warp and fluid-overheat, so by cooling the discs (easier than the hidden fluid), you also cool pads (less heat-transfer) and by inference cool fluid (again, less heat-transfer).
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

Quote Originally Posted by havoc View Post
    I may be missing something but I thought the main purpose of cooling was discs (being the biggest heat-sink in the braking system) not calipers/pads - cooling is to prevent disc-warp and fluid-overheat, so by cooling the discs (easier than the hidden fluid), you also cool pads (less heat-transfer) and by inference cool fluid (again, less heat-transfer).
    Exactly how I was to understand it havoc.
    The air is force fed through channelling into the vented disc, this vent could be internally curved and exhausts at the centre of the disc. A black art in its design no doubt.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

if you are going to duct air to the disc from the front of the car, its a flexible tube directing the air to the centre of the disc so the air travels from middle to edge through the vent holes. this is also the way the air would naturally be 'pumped' by the disc turning
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567