Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Acura NSX announced

Point taken but I still think it could be more aesthetically pleasing when looking down into the wheel area, come on Honda we're not still in the nineties.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

I'm with the 'function over form' crowd - Honda have always been about fitness for purpose, not fashionable aesthetics, so why should it matter?

And Jonathan's spot-on about brake regen - between that and standard slotted disks it should still stop pretty smartly...
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

Although function over form is ok, at £125k it also should make a statement and not leave anyone in doubt as to where it sets its targets, and I'm sorry but it just doesn't do this with flat steel discs.
    The competitition its going to be up up against all realise this which is why function over form isn't the only consideration, it's probably more like profit over cost if the truth be known with Honda.
    You can argue that if this is all it requires then why change, when you look at the image below you realise why.
    http://www.eurocarnews.com/media/pic.../1399/6553.jpg
    Pride.

2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

Quote Originally Posted by Mistercorn View Post
    I know what you mean. But I am all about engineering and fitting what is right for the job. If plain disks do the job then fit them. If you have a bloated car with no energy recovery you WILL need big disks. That is not a sign of engineering success.....

MC
    This.

There is a reason the A5 has ridiculously large disks and enormous calipers. The thing is massively heavy. The braking system is a response to manage this problem, rather than doing the sensible, intelligent thing which is to deal with the problem.
    2001 3.2 Circuit Blue Coupe with pop-ups!

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

Quote Originally Posted by WhyOne? View Post
    This.

There is a reason the A5 has ridiculously large disks and enormous calipers. The thing is massively heavy. The braking system is a response to manage this problem, rather than doing the sensible, intelligent thing which is to deal with the problem.
    Im really NOT talking about installing over large brakes for the sake of it as that would be pointless.
    What does frustrate me though is with all the latest forms of hi-tec brakes that you now see on both the aftermarket and factory fit supercars, Honda appears to go ahead and instal stoppers that don't look out of place on a Civic!!!!

The whole car has been designed as a head turning, show stopping, technology breaking, world beating and yes believe it or not an aestheticly stunning design both inside and out, and yet the brakes look ordinary (although I know they're not) but if like me one of the first things you look at when looking at these type of cars are the brake discs. The brakes outwardly portray an image of power and performance unlike any other area on a car and imho should reflect that and plain old solid cast discs just don't.
    Last edited by Pride; 18-12-2014 at 08:27 AM. Reason: important correction
    Pride.

6. Default

Having seen an A5 driving slowly round the paddock to cool the massive exciting looking brakes because it had brake fade after 9 laps of the "Top Gear" track, if Honda can do something that eliminates this issue with smaller more esthetic discs then why not. Come to think of it I don't think I have seen the brakes on an F1 car.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Pride View Post
    Im really NOT talking about installing over large brakes for the sake of it as that would be pointless.
    What does frustrate me though is with all the latest forms of hi-tec brakes that you now see on both the aftermarket and factory fit supercars, Honda appears to go ahead and instal stoppers that don't look out of place on a Civic!!!!

The whole car has been designed as a head turning, show stopping, technology breaking, world beating and yes believe it or not an aestheticly stunning design both inside and out, and yet the brakes look ordinary (although I know they're not) but if like me one of the first things you look at when looking at these type of cars are the brake discs. The brakes outwardly portray an image of power and performance unlike any other area on a car and imho should reflect that and plain old solid cast discs just don't.
    When I look at any photos or video of the new NSX, I wish it was just the brake disks that disappointed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pride View Post

obviously they feel it doesn't need it then! there will be a reason why they haven't fitted huge blingy carbon ceramic stoppers in there

...maybe it needs smaller discs to allow improved cooling for the front wheel motors....
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    obviously they feel it doesn't need it then! there will be a reason why they haven't fitted huge blingy carbon ceramic stoppers in there

...maybe it needs smaller discs to allow improved cooling for the front wheel motors....
    The market and price point they are targeting, will I think, totally expect to see hi-tec jaw dropping stoppers and not necessarily BIG. They certainly don't need to be blingy, (although the previous wheel design certainly was) they just need to look stunning, which they don't at the moment, as every visual detail is vitally important to this market sector.
    Pride.

10. Default

The video looks computer generated to me. Maybe it's still not a correct representation?

In answer to other people's points, even in wheel electric motors, which this car does not use, would not require cooling levels that would affect brake disc size.

Also, for regenerative braking to replace friction braking, the power (energy converted over time) that would need to be recoverable by the electronics would be enormous and far larger than the system can cope with. The motors are what 30bhp each?

Consider that all cars stop faster than they go, then consider the power taken to make the fastest cars go. To do 60-0 in under two seconds using just the regen braking system, you'd need a system that could deliver 0-60 in about the same time through just those two wheels. We'll ignore wind resistance for now.

in short, it's way off.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast