Thread: just bought my NSX

1. Default just bought my NSX

I have just bought my NSX a 1992 manual car looks like it has been well cared for, but with any car now 22 years old will need a bit of TLC.
    Any suggestions on bake hoses and dampers?

I'm of no use whatsoever on your Qs, but just wanted to say welcome!

Was it the silver one? Anyways, hope to see you at an NSX meeting soon.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredtr View Post
    I have just bought my NSX a 1992 manual car looks like it has been well cared for, but with any car now 22 years old will need a bit of TLC.
    Any suggestions on bake hoses and dampers?
    Welcome and congrats!

Search the blog for goodrich hoses, Kaz has agreed a bespoke replacement that many of us now enjoy.

As for dampers, budget will impact choice as will driving style and local roads you use. BC coilovers are good value, KW3's are also popular but around 80% dearer, but both have been installed many times to UK cars.

Other items to consider will be age related preventative maintenance such as hoses, calipers, AC and BOSE electric boards. Best advice would be to advance book a full vehicle health check with Kaz. In my opinion its a great investment and would give you a clear indication of what to consider and plan for to ensure your NSX stays in good health and you can get the most enjoyment from ownership.

HTH, rgds Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

welcome on board and all the best with your X
    As above, braided hoses etc discussed by Kaz, worth doing for sure. helps the braking system for sure
    As Paul says, many dampers installed and various options out there. Down to your budget at the end of the day. I went with the BC Racing option and so far NO problems and allow for plenty of adjustment.
    Check out Kaz's blogs for those bits n bobs that need doing to your car as well as NSX Refres, Sudesh's thread. my car is in there a lot and the servicing bits i have done.
    Pending on the history of the car you may have other areas to look at such as crankshaft pulley etc
    Best of luck
    "The value of life can be measured by how many times you soul has been deeply stirred" - Soichiro Honda

Blog Entries

Hi, bigredtr. Welcome to the club.

Not sure of the reason why you want to replace the brake hose but if the fitting looks heavily corroded, best to replace them. It tends to leak from the crimped section at the edge of the fitting.

For your reference, replacing the brake hose on our NSX won't change the brake pedal feeling. OEM one won't expand like mentioned on other forum.

If your rideheight, wheel, suspension area are kept close to OEM setup, then you may be able to use the custom made one from Goodridge.
    Off-the-shelf product from Goodridge sold from many vendors on ebay, etc won't have two line locators/holders at the front side and it is not suitable for the later spec caliper (if your 92 NSX was already upgraded by the previous owners) so personally, not recommended.

You can see more in detail here; http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?340...ade-Brake-Line

For the damper, it depends on what you are after, driving condition, how you drive, etc.

You can check the age of existing damper by the date stamped on the damper body if it's OEM one.
    You may want to check all four because sometimes, I noticed that part of the dampers were replaced with later ones on some of the NSX.

If you are very unlikely to drive into the area with serious speed hump or steep slope that you can find at the entrance/exit of some of the parking tower/bay like in other countries, BC Racing coilover kit will offer you good balance between the cost and ability.

If you want to keep the OEM rideheight or just about 20-25mm drop, then Bilstein damper + your existing OEM spring would be a good combination. This damper allows the owner to set the rideheight at two different position (OEM or 20-25mm lowered) on damper installation.

If you know how to setup the car and have access to race team flat patch, you can't go wrong with the KW V3.

For the suspension area, if it's from the well known manufactures, in general, you will get what you paid for.
    R&D takes lots of time in this area and that will be reflected in the price.
    For example, I think KW V3 was developed with multi post rig and test driving using real NSX.
    However, if you don't know how to setup the chassis, I'm afriad you are going to rely on someone's setup which may not suit your style.

Any way, enjoy driving your NSX before the winter comes unless you are planning to drive it every day like some of us here including myself....

Kaz

Congratulations on your purchase.

Stick to OEM or good brands as suggested above and it will give you peace of mind in the long run.

7. Default

Congrats!

Another suggestion for aftermarket suspension would be Quantum. They were used in the Super GT NSXs which then trickled down to the road going cars; there's quite a few Japanese owners with their kits. However, they're actually a British company so worth a shout. There is also Nitron, who developed a kit on our car.
    '02 Honda NSX [Garage Queen]
    '17 Huracan Performante [Weekend Car]
    '19 Porsche Macan [Daily]