Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted advert on PH

Default Wanted advert on PH

First of all. No offence to the owner of the advert. I thought it was a novel way to advertise for a car. Certainly an amusing slant, definitely optimistic.
    Just to be clear on a few things.... First, I've yet to see a facelift car without corrosion. So if it hasn't had paint, it will probably need some somewhere. I find the paint thing quite interesting really. People are very retentive about whether a car has had paint. I used to count myself amongst them. However, working in the trade and having owned or driven probably 30 different NSX's. It struck me that with so few cars available, the most important thing was overall condition and lack of accident damage. There are a few cars out there, perhaps three of four which may have been lucky enough to escape the corrosion fairy. But again. Never seen one. With this in mind, and considering that a percentage of all cars will have been at least partially repainted between the factory and the dealer, then once again during their second trip through the dealer network. We shouldn't be afraid of a bit of colour here or there. Even if they've made an average job, it's still rectifiable (for most colours).
    Second, there is a pool of perhaps 35-40 cars. So there really isn't a great deal of choice. If you then remove (in line with the advert) those cars which have been crashed, higher mileage, tracked or yellow/orange. Then you have a very limited number of cars. Perhaps 10-15. Out of those cars maybe 2-3 come up for sale a year.
    Additionally, low mileage late cars have been consistently making 60K+ For the last 12 months. Finally, the advertiser may want to look at the orange and yellow cars. They are great colours and shouldn't be overlooked.
    Again, no disrespect to anyone. Just some observations.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...--2002/2886985
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

Respectfully the applicant to NSX ownership should decide what he or she actually considers important. Mods or no mods, you cant have both in one car, why consider a colour you say you dont want and more ...

Most (UK installed) factory alarms will have failed in one way or another in the past decade so will have been updated or replaced with the later version .. does this exclude them from your list too?

Good luck in your hunt ... some cars do exchange hands never being advertised on the forum so this approach may find you a nice car not on many peoples radar, and as suggested above, buy on overall condition. I'm sure we all look forward to seeing how pure an NSX you end up finally owning ...
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Good posts James & Paul

Has this person looked at the blue facelift already listed or seen the prices of any of the models recently listed?
    he needs to up his budget for a low mileage example ... If he is going to drive daily does he necessarily need a low miler.

if he has knowledge of Kaz he will know his opinion that a car which is used and driven regularly is better than those that spend its days in storage

Imho he is misguided re electrics opinion on upgraded alarm and the audio side; does a tracker install be seen as an electrical mod and therefore discounted?

Define a 'track car' ...so if used once round a track regardless of speed or how treated it's automatically discounted?
    also how will he ever determine if the car was never tracked in the 1st place?

my car has been re sprayed to bring back the sparkle ... seems a tad odd that paintwork would put anyone off unless it's a botch job.

modifications if tastefully done, close to OEM or OEM or car easily brought back to standard also discounted?

an interior stripped out and recovered with genuine napa leather like mine and makes a mockery of original interior for eg also discounted as seen to being modified.

i find this advert to be misguided in a lot of ways and extremely short sighted. Think he will be waiting quite some time for an answer to that ad IMHO
    Last edited by nobby; 01-10-2014 at 08:41 PM.
    "The value of life can be measured by how many times you soul has been deeply stirred" - Soichiro Honda

I would have thought an NSX enthusiast that has done enough research to know the benefits of Kaz is fully aware that they are asking for the impossible. Sounds more like a dealer trying to search out a good car to turn a good profit. I'm guessing the comment regarding changing the interior is a reference to Marky's car which would also indicate they know the real price of the car they are asking for.
    Might be wrong and it is a genuine buyer who stared looking a couple of years ago but with such a specific search, the car never came to the market and is now not affordable!
    In the condition requested I would expect an NA1 to fetch £40k now.

Quote Originally Posted by nobby View Post

Define a 'track car' ...so if used once round a track regardless of speed or how treated it's automatically discounted?
    Whilst I agree that finding what the advertiser is looking for is a big ask, I do feel he has made it pretty clear what he considers 'track use' to be.
    2001 3.2 Circuit Blue Coupe with pop-ups!

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

Cripes! Give the guy a break... Every NSX buyer these days goes up a learning curve of what's available for what sort of money. This chap (local, but not known to me) sounds genuine and hopeful. The price he has in mind ... well, it's an opening bid, isn't it? And he makes it clear there is more cash available.

A few months looking and drawing a blank will help recalibrate his wishlist. It happened to a lot of us.

As close-to-OEM as possible is definitely a sensible long-term choice (IMHO). He needs to visit Specsavers though, if actually prefers the facelift!

Personally I do not know what he is getting at and I dont want to get into a war of words with a fellow forum member. The ad states - "I don't want a tracked car. I don't mind something driven "a bit keenly" but don't want something that's been to any track to be driven how you thought the designers intended"

an NSX can be driven anywhere as the designers intended on the public roads/highways etc. In fact at least a track is in a condition that allows you to have a spirited drive ... and as i stated define a "tracked car" to me?
    Just cause its been tracked does not mean the car has been trashed?
    Any owners who I know and the cars they own (some loevely cars) that are 'tracked' are extremely well looked after and get plenty of servicing done before and after the event; have they thought of this added bonus?
    Evidently not.

IMO its just a really daft request and he/she needs to be more specific in what they are asking. Anyway they will likely never know its been tracked; any seller can say no (unless photographed and publicly displayed on a forum such as here).

Quote Originally Posted by WhyOne? View Post
    Whilst I agree that finding what the advertiser is looking for is a big ask, I do feel he has made it pretty clear what he considers 'track use' to be.
    Last edited by nobby; 02-10-2014 at 09:31 AM.
    "The value of life can be measured by how many times you soul has been deeply stirred" - Soichiro Honda

It's a 'Wanted' advert - the chap who wrote it has expressed his preferences. Some of them may turn out to be unrealistic, but it's a starting point. My reading is he doesn't want a car which has been driven hard on a track (and certainly not modified to enhance the cars abilities on-track).

If I was looking to sell a car which broadly matched the description, I would start a conversation with the prospective buyer.....which surely is the objective of the advert.

To accuse the prospective buyer of being misguided and short sighted is at best intolerant and at worst, just plain rude IMHO.
    2001 3.2 Circuit Blue Coupe with pop-ups!

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

I referred to the ad NOT the writer! As stated I dont want to get into a war of words with a fellow forum member, so just dont be goin there OK

Quote Originally Posted by WhyOne? View Post
    To accuse the prospective buyer of being misguided and short sighted is at best intolerant and at worst, just plain rude IMHO.
    Last edited by nobby; 02-10-2014 at 02:56 PM.

Blog Entries

Every single NSX has been on track (kind of) for test driving session before leaving the factory including the ones went through the 'Refresh Plan'. That's why even for a brand new car, the odometer shows some mileage before the delivery to the customer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast