Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanted advert on PH

Hope they find one before Silverstone classic next year then
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

I know the asking price for relatively low mileage facelift cars has been £50k+, but many of those have hung around for a long time and gradually drifted down in price until they have either sold or been taken off the market. Only those who have bought or sold one recently know the actual details. His pricing does seem to be through optimistic and out of the other side, but got to start somewhere.
    It is a good way of trying to get hold of a car, keeping a close eye on this forum is another.... I do wonder how many change hands without appearing anywhere. I have had a couple of people express an interest in mine when I'm ready to move it on, as I'm sure a lot of other forum members have.

MC

Interesting ad. He's looking for a garage queen.

I know that people who frequently drive on the track will beat me for the following arguement: track cars show higher wear and tear (engine oil starvation, synchros, wheel bearings and so on). But mainly: the likelyhood of a car spinning into the gravel bed is higher at the track than on a relaxing sunday drive. Track cars are no garage queens and a potential owner looking for the later will recognize a track rat at first sight even if it's still OEM.

These are two separate markets: track cars, average cars and garage queens. The later ones are harder to find as the ones who own them don't sell them.

Track and crash was a no-go for me too back 2001 when I bought mine.

I agree completely, but does anybody actually use an NSX on track? If I want to go on track I would use my Clio which costs peanuts to fix or my Porsche which is manically quick. More of an issue for me would be previous owners, just because my NSX has been wrapped in cotton-wool when I have owned it, and so far as I can tell for the previous owner, these cars have a lot of history now. I wouldn't make any promises for other owners. All a bit daft IMO.

MC

Quote Originally Posted by Mistercorn View Post
    I agree completely, but does anybody actually use an NSX on track? If I want to go on track I would use my Clio which costs peanuts to fix or my Porsche which is manically quick.
    I fully agree on the better/cheaper alternative for the track nowadays. Back in 1991 20-30% (guess) of the cars directly went to the track as the car was built for it. I've seen some of them a decade later and they were in below average shape but sold due to their cheap price tag, most of them not within Switzerland.

But I think it's even more extreme in the market for a Lotus Elise/Exige.

Hence my comment on previous owners. A wholly unrealistic wishlist. If there is a one owner, sub 40k miles car with no paint and no track use it will be so far out of budget that it just isn't funny. Unless of course the owner doesn't get involved in car forums, hasn't seem my thread on actual car prices, and thinks that it sounds like a good price for a 10+ year old car.

MC

Quote Originally Posted by Mistercorn View Post
    I agree completely, but does anybody actually use an NSX on track? If I want to go on track I would use my Clio which costs peanuts to fix or my Porsche which is manically quick.
    MC
    Took my NSX on track for the first time at Spa...and I'm really glad I did...car felt better / more alive / more interesting when pressing on around a track than it does even on fast Scottish A-roads. And I learned more about how it behaves / how high the limits are if you're smooth. Agree with you that as a regular track-day tool it's going to cost more than a hot-hatch, and is less replaceable if you bin it than something like a 911...but come on - it's a supercar, FFS!
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

The Ad author can request all these requirements but the chance of finding a car that fits his bill AND the current owner would want to sell at his asking price is as rare as rocking horse 'stool'.....the only chance he may find one is only if an owner is not a frequent 'car forum' attender or a car enthusiast ....as they may well not be aware of the value of their car....but then they will not see the Wanted Ad either.

Regarding the comments asking the Ad poster to be more specific regarding 'track' exclusion and other requirements etc.....to my reading of the Ad..it sounds pretty specific and exclusive to me...no doubt regarding his requirements.

Well...a few years back..there was 40+ NSX on the track at Castle Combe and Silver Stone Classic ...so they will be excluded.
    70% of NSX I see at the forum gatherings have some sort of modification...so they will be excluded.

Good luck to the potential (or little potential) NSX owner who posted the Ad.

NB...All 3 of the NSX I owned or have owned will be excluded...Not that I wanted to sell anyway.

SS
    Lexus LC500h.......New Daily run around with some saving the Planet thoughts
    Black/black 95 NSX NA with mk1 Ary exhaust....Now sold
    Red/Black 91 NSX treasure.....FI No more NA
    Silver/Pearl White/Black 1993 NSX 3.0 5 MT NSX ZAZ R-GT Twin Scroll Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by nobby View Post
    Personally I do not know what he is getting at and I dont want to get into a war of words with a fellow forum member. The ad states - "I don't want a tracked car. I don't mind something driven "a bit keenly" but don't want something that's been to any track to be driven how you thought the designers intended"

an NSX can be driven anywhere as the designers intended on the public roads/highways etc. In fact at least a track is in a condition that allows you to have a spirited drive ... and as i stated define a "tracked car" to me?
    Just cause its been tracked does not mean the car has been trashed?
    Any owners who I know and the cars they own (some loevely cars) that are 'tracked' are extremely well looked after and get plenty of servicing done before and after the event; have they thought of this added bonus?
    Evidently not.

IMO its just a really daft request and he/she needs to be more specific in what they are asking. Anyway they will likely never know its been tracked; any seller can say no (unless photographed and publicly displayed on a forum such as here).
    i think he just doesn't want an nsx that has been driven hard round a track and doesn't mind if it has been driven quickly from time to time on the highway, but just not around a track. so in other words, has not been raked out as we would say in our wee part of the world so maybe worrying about engine abuse/gearbox etc. but he would need to understand what the car is capable of taking and like you say driving one round a track properly and looking after the car before and after would mean the car would be in a better condition than one laid up in a warm cosy garage going no where for months/years on end.
    i can see both points of view but his wording maybe can be a little clearer and there is no harm in him understanding all of what you are saying as owning and driving an nsx you would know what you are talking about and can advise accordingly. like you say honda designed the car to be driven by a granny and a racing driver, everyday if they wanted to!
    as he wants a white one, he basically wants the one in the honda museum in japan as its all original and never been modified interior wise, alarm doubt it'd have one being *** spec and sound system would be factory.

you're just annoyed andrew cause he doesn't like yellow lol. only messin

Quote Originally Posted by goldnsx View Post
    Interesting ad. He's looking for a garage queen.

I know that people who frequently drive on the track will beat me for the following arguement: track cars show higher wear and tear (engine oil starvation, synchros, wheel bearings and so on). But mainly: the likelyhood of a car spinning into the gravel bed is higher at the track than on a relaxing sunday drive. Track cars are no garage queens and a potential owner looking for the later will recognize a track rat at first sight even if it's still OEM.

These are two separate markets: track cars, average cars and garage queens. The later ones are harder to find as the ones who own them don't sell them.

Track and crash was a no-go for me too back 2001 when I bought mine.
    i think you are right a garage queen and he said what he was willing to go up to, but i'd doubt he'll get what he wants. no harm in asking though he can always review his stipulation and bring it down some. its who wants to sell their pride and joy on here, not many i'd say

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12