Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NSX Resurrection attempt

Hi Kaz,

thanks for the reply and any further questions I will post in the technical forum.

The car is still with Vtec Direct and I have discussed with them about discussing my car on the forums and they are happy for me to find out as much as I can to help get this car back on the road in a fully working condition. This car has become a special case in so much that it isn't a straight forward electrical issue as we first thought, so any technical knowledge is much appreciated.

The Throttle body is the DBW type and the ECU number is as it should be for this car; 37820-PR7-G16.

I will get photos tomorrow hopefully and post them up here.
    Family Car: Range Rover L322
    Sports Car: Porsche 911 C4
    Long Term Project: Honda NSX 99' 3.0 V6 Auto
    Facebook; NSX in the City
    check out my instagram jivaldinho and Supercarsofmcr

Blog Entries

So, basically, you are running 99 NA1-DBW-4 O2 sensor-AT spec ECU + 94 AT engine (replaced TH body with DBW version) + non-DBW engine loom.

If I remember correctly, the cable from the DBW TH body stepping motor is routed in front of the thermostat cover and then disappears at the firewall just below the Eng GND point (not 100% sure as I don't have access to DBW model at the moment but I think this is correct) so the connection between the DBW TH body and ECU should be fine.

As mentioned in my last post, you must check the Vcc power supply to the MAP (Pb) sensor.
    It is inside the Control box just above the RR wheel speed sensor orange connector. It's the black cubic box located at RL corner of the engine bay.
    There used to be IG timing adjuster sharing the same Vcc line with MAP sensor inside there but with DBW model, it's done inside the ECU so you should see only 1 x round 3pin connector and 1 x 6pin?? (I think it is 6pin but not sure) square connector at the Control box. If you have another 3pin rectangular connector at the Control box, then you are using the non-DBW spec Control box......

As you don't have GND connection at your SCS blue 2pin connector, you need to short the SCS terminal at each controller manually in order to read the error code.

To start with, try reading the error code at the ECU.

With the IG key in Off position, find the single Blue wire (no secondary colour code on the wire) within the 12pin connector at the ECU.

I think only 8 terminals out of 12 are in use.
    Without disconnecting any of the connector, insert test probe at the back of this blue wire termianl and GND the other end to the nearby GND.

Remember, you must do this on the blue wire. Please double check the SCS terminal position using the wiring diagram otherwise you could damge the ECU or other devices.

Now turn the IG switch to On position. The CEL should show the error code now.

Ideally, you should check all the input to the ECU comparing the wiring diagram but reading the error code would be a good starting point to understand what's missing.

Again, I don't know how the secondary O2 sensors are connected to your ECU when using 94 spec engine loom as there were only two O2 sensors on UK spec NSX at that time.
    Without the connection, it will trigger the CEL but it won't prevent you from going above 4,000rpm.

Kaz

Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 22-10-2014 at 05:15 PM. Reason: extra info

Thanks for the reply again Kaz,

You are truly a master of the NSX. I will get the ecu error codes checked out, hopefully this weekend if not then it will be next weekend. The pictures should be coming soon as well. I really appreciate your help in this. I did enter NSX ownership knowing this particular car needed some work but I never realised the size of the task. I used to walk past a Black NSX in Manchester on the way to school as a youngster and was always mesmersed by the car and I still am, this experience hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for this amazing machine.

Sol

Quick update,

As we are awaiting for parts from Japan, I decided to clean the car up a little. I went and got the carbon panels wrapped in 3M Carbon Fibre wrap. The original weave had faded so a fresh carbon effect was required. The car doesn't look as jaded any more at least. Now how to remove those horrible decals without damaging the paint??!!

I have also ordered an orange velvet wrap to cover the interior plastic trim to match the exterior paint. lets see how that turns out. For now here are some pics.

Not an update for anything new on the car but I have uploaded my first video to youtube. It is a simple start up video for now but hopefully soon I will be uploading more videos. I am currently working on a Reaction video which will have me driving through city centres and capturing reactions of the public.

You can find the video here on my Youtube Channel "NSX in the City"

Quote Originally Posted by Jivaldinho View Post
    I will be uploading more videos. I am currently working on a Reaction video which will have me driving through city centres and capturing reactions of the public.

You can find the video here on my Youtube Channel "NSX in the City"
    Hi Jivaldinho, you've gotta post these on the "what's my favourite video thread", it will be good to watch some jaw dropping public reactions

Cheers mate.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Unless you requested the opposing weave on the headlamp cover, I'd be asking you wrap guys to redo the cover to match the direction of the bonnet. They appear to have aligned the spoiler and bootlid so Im guessing this is an oversight by them ... definately tidies the car up ... keep it going!
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Unless you requested the opposing weave on the headlamp cover, I'd be asking you wrap guys to redo the cover to match the direction of the bonnet. They appear to have aligned the spoiler and bootlid so Im guessing this is an oversight by them ... definately tidies the car up ... keep it going!
    C'mon Paul, I thought you of all people would that know herringbone is all the rage in the carbon wrap world lol

Seriously though I'd agree with you unless the other light matches.. I can't really tell viewing on my phone

In my excitement I missed that. I will get it changed soon after the headlight has been properly adjusted and aligned.

Got my orange velvet wrap today. This is normally for exterior use but I though I would experiment on the interior plastics such as the centre console, visor cowl and even the centre storage. This is my first attempt so lets see how it goes!!!!

Finished the wrap. The centre console was a pain to work and took an absolute age to do. and I think the ash tray cover will need to be shaved for both the double din unit and to have a smoother motion when opening and closing. I think it's okay for a first attempt considering the centre console was in 2 pieces when I first received it.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast