Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NSX Radiator problem

HI Martin,

I'm glad you got everything sorted, I forgot about the other minor mods as it was long ago and, as you now know, didn't take that long to rectify. Filling and bleeding doesn't take that long either so you will be back on the road in no time.

Cheers

Jim
    1992 NSX, 3.0 Manual, (Was Sebring Silver) Now Kaiser Silver

2018 Jaguar XE, 2.0 R-Sport 250, Loire Blue.

2013 Kawazaki ER6F, Metalic Green.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz-kzukNA1 View Post
    Just follow the workshop manual for the bleeding procedure.
    I use different procedure as I use vacuum fill equipment but it's almost the same.
    Once you have carried out the initial bleeding before starting the engine for the first time with the header tank cap partially closed (about 45deg, first stop from full open, as in the workshop manual), I normally run the engine for about 30sec to 1min just to push any remaining air pockets in the system towards the front of the car. Never run the engine any longer than this.

The thermostat is closed (strictly speaking, there is tiny pin opening at the top of the thermostat so there will be minute flow) so the only coolant flow is inside the engine and the heater circuit (thus, you must keep the water valve in fully open position) and by running the engine for just short period will allow the remaining air to be trapped at the bleeding point at the heater core.

Bleed the air again and then follow the manual to properly warm up the engine with the header tank cap partially closed at 45deg.
    Cool down the system, top up the coolant, double check no air at the heater core as well as at the radiaotor then go out for the test driving session.
    Leave the car overnight, double check no air at the heater core and radiator and final adjustment of the coolant level.

Not simple so just take your time......

Kaz
    I was flushing the coolant yesterday and went through the SM procedure of bleeding it, plus Kaz's tips above. I did this about 5 times and always got a little bit of air out at the heater core. I took 13 l out and initially 11l in while the coolant tank was at 2/3. As I warmed the car up and watched the coolant tank and waited for the fan to come on the temp gauge went one line above the normal position (was absolutely horizontal). By that time I shut the engine off. With the IGN ON again the coolant fan was running its first time and at MAX. During that time the long awaited significant drop of coolant in the bottle happened. The coolant at the hottest of the three hoses (heater?) was 82-83 deg. C. The other ones were cooler. I'll let the engine cool down, recheck for air in the system and redo the procedure once again.

Kind of a tricky procedure...
    Last edited by goldnsx; 04-12-2017 at 07:47 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12