Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: failing rear coil pack solution???

Sounds good to me Jonathan, thank you....just let me know what you need to know from me.

Hopefully a few of us (Simon and I for example) can arrange to pay for delivery in beer and pies?
    2001 3.2 Circuit Blue Coupe with pop-ups!

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

...there was a threat of a SE Mini meet soon...seems to have gone quiet...

True....I'll go and poke the thread.

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

Blog Entries

As always, nice work, Jonathan.

I tested this long time ago with the engine cover off to monitor how the water flows on the engine from around the area of black plastic vent. It was not the era of smart phone so no easy access to video recording....
    The water can actually splash all the way to the strut tower bar if you use high pressure with lots of water.

Addition to the IG coil cover gasket, it is very important to first install the IG coil cable holder properly to let the two metal cylinder spacers sit at the same height. One of them sits on top of the cable holder and the other one doesn't so when you install the IG coil cover on top of them, you could warp the IG coil cover and creating uneven force on the cover gasket.
    Sometimes, I saw the engine missing these two spacers or installed the spacers at uneven height causing the crack on the IG coil cover or creating uneven pressure on the gasket allowing extra water to enter.

Even if the water enters under the IG coil cover, it won't flood the space underneath.
    There are two big holes at the side of the valve cover acting as the drainage and the lower side of the IG coil cover edge doesn't have the gasket so if enough water entered the area, it will be simply drained out but because of the way the engine is tilted, the area will be kept damp.

As long as the IG coil cover, cover gasket, spacer were installed properly, the IG coil body torqued down properly and in correct orientation (air vent should point upward, marked FR for the front bank and RR for the rear bank), the moisture is very unlikely to enter the spark plug hole.
    When I tested it with the IG coil cover nut/bolt slightly loosened on purposely, the water didn't touch the IG coil head.

However, this dampness is the problem.
    If the engine was not started regularly or only running for a short period before the area got completely dry, eventually it will cause rust on the metal layer of the IG coil body.
    Probably, it's related to the position of the drain hole and hot air flow but most of the time, #3cyl IG coil shows better condition than the ones at #1 and #2cyl.

I think condensation on the metal surface is also happening if the area was damp and the air temperature changed big enough between day and night.

So, addition to the nice cover that Jonathan made, if you apply silicone grease around the IG coil cover gasket, metal surface of the IG coil body, around the rubber tube outer surface and just small amount at the internal wall of the tube, you should be fine for many years.

Of course, it will help massively by driving your NSX regularly but at least, you can minimise the issue by running the engine (and even going out for a short spin) after washing the car or try to drive the car in dry weather fairly soon after you drove in the wet condition.

I didn't act early enough so got some rust on my rear bank IG coils but by keep doing the above measures, even after 20 years with more than 145K miles, still looks in healthy condition. They are the original ones from when the car left the factory.

Kaz

Default Aft bank cover

I might fancy one of your covers if you'd give me a price and post it to me here in the colonies.
    Post code 46069, Sheridan, Indiana, just outside,north of Indy.

Cheers
    nigel
    Last edited by nigel; 12-07-2014 at 06:51 PM.

i've made 3 so that's....

NSXGB
    Nicjwim
    Squadron leader

pencilled in, once i've worked out a box to put it in i'll get the postage costs for Nicjwim and Nigel and let you know....

hopefully i'll get a closer look at Whyone or Phils NA2 to work out the tweaks... unless Phill is ahead of me on that one!

better ask for confirmation....

NSXGB
    Nicjwim
    Squadron leader

are you NA1 or NA2?... from what ive seen NA2 has extra piping under the garnish on the alternator side of the engine bay....

the extra pipes in the bottom right corner

whereas this one (like mine) hasn't got them!

Last edited by britlude; 12-07-2014 at 08:01 AM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Do these help at all Jonathan?

2R4C5365 by Whyone, on Flickr

2R4C5369 by Whyone, on Flickr

Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

8. Default

I confirm i'll have one thank you. Let me know where to send the money too.

cheers,

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Squadron leader View Post
    I confirm i'll have one thank you. Let me know where to send the money too.

cheers,

Phil
    i actually meant confirm NA1 without pipes or NA2 with the extra plumbing!!!!

but thanks for confirming
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

10. Default

Oops. na1 please.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast