Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: failing rear coil pack solution???

Default failing rear coil pack solution???

it's quite often mentioned amongst the appalling design flaws of the NSX, the rear coil packs getting wet is high on the list, so i decided to do something about it!

my car has a rusty coilpack on the rear bank, and i know others have suffered.... the rear coil cover is in place, and the rubber seal is there and silicon greased accordingly, so i thought i'd make a shield of some type to stop the water getting near in the first place!

when the car is moving the water basically comes down the rear hatch and onto the rear garnish. the water that goes through the vents has some degree of channelling to direct the water away... i say 'some degree' as an definite lip on the panel beneath would have helped here! the main problem i've noticed is at standstill the water drops off the rear hatch onto the flat shelf of the garnish directly under the hatch edge. this flat shelf pretty much encourages the water to drain down the recesses that lead down to the garnish mounting screws. this isn't a problem on the passenger side as there's nothing for the water to drip on, but the drivers side it pretty much encourages the water to go onto the engine!!

so i made myself a but of guttering to direct the water away!

version 1....
    2014-05-29-4900 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

2014-05-23-4872 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

the shield mounts on the garnish screws.... keeping it neat and simple!

unfortunately Kare saw this at the North Weald honda do, after trying a similar solution, and asked if i could make him some (3, some people have too many NSX!)

so the idea was evolved, making it bigger and more effective....
    cardboard mock-up....
    2014-05-23-4870 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

2014-05-23-4871 by jon sutherland, on Flickr
    Last edited by britlude; 05-08-2017 at 04:26 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

the Mk2 prototype was then made in aluminium.....
    2014-05-29-4901 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

and mounted in the car.....

2014-05-29-4907 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

2014-05-29-4904 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

2014-05-29-4905 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

nice, neat and def gets wet when it rains, so is doing something! a bit of rubber edging was added later...

from the experience with Kare, and subsequently Phil (who needed 2!!!) i now know that it won't fit on a supercharged car without modifications, as fuel pressure regulators get in the way, and it won't fit on a NA2 car without tweaks as there are a couple of extra pipes involved!

i do know that all the ones i have made fit on a JDM NA1 beautifully (smiley face, but i've run out of 'pics' for this post)
    Last edited by britlude; 05-08-2017 at 04:28 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Well done, often thought about doing this but never got round to it, well done Jonathan, if I ever do get round to it I can copy this.

made 5, got enough bits to do another 3...
    aka Jonathan!!

Go on then, let me know how much & I'll have one...

Quote Originally Posted by NSXGB View Post
    Go on then, let me know how much & I'll have one...

I made a few in GRP but there seemed to be no market for it. Most people just go lalala a la Naughty Boy when any NSX faults are mentioned!!!

7. Default

I would like to know how much and order one too.

I would be very happy to act as sponsor and guinea-pig for one to fit an NA2 car Jonathan (please!)
    2001 3.2 Circuit Blue Coupe with pop-ups!

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

looks like i'll have to get some more material then as i have 4 requests.....
    NSXGB
    Nicjwim
    Squadron leader

and Whyone? Na2 prototype mule!

the shields are in plain aluminium, fit my car, but may need slight tweaks to fit yours, as i don't have access to every car with any/every mod available!

following the usual NSX universal pricing policy, and my want for a respray, i'll pitch these at £490 each, if i get another 4 orders i can adjust the price to £590

not really.... £30 will cover it, tho i'll have to work out what postage will be if necessary!
    aka Jonathan!!

....you should make them in CF....then you could charge £1500 each for them...

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    looks like i'll have to get some more material then as i have 4 requests.....
    NSXGB
    Nicjwim
    Squadron leader

and Whyone? Na2 prototype mule!

the shields are in plain aluminium, fit my car, but may need slight tweaks to fit yours, as i don't have access to every car with any/every mod available!

following the usual NSX universal pricing policy, and my want for a respray, i'll pitch these at £490 each, if i get another 4 orders i can adjust the price to £590

not really.... £30 will cover it, tho i'll have to work out what postage will be if necessary!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast