Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low cost tracker and immobiliser fitted.

Default Low cost tracker and immobiliser fitted.

As per my previous posts, I have been fitting a tracker and immobiliser to my car. I'm not going to post details of the actual fitting on here for obvious reasons, but I will tell you what it does.

Fitment time would be a few hours for anybody who knows how to do simple wiring. It took me 3-4 times longer but the majority of the time was working out the best way to fit the unit and sorting out what the wiring does. Obviously anybody else who did it wouldn't need to waste that time.

It has a sounder on it which can be used as an alarm, I just use it to indicate when the unit is armed/disarmed and run the unit in silent mode, I don't want anybody knowing it is fitted and going looking for it. It will alarm on vibration, battery disconnection, or the ignition being turned on. The ignition alarm works even if the cars built in immobiliser is activated.

Alarm is done by sending a text message to me which gives me the alarm type, time, location with a url to google maps, and the current speed and direction.

It will keep sending the text messages at 3 minute intervals until I disarm it, which I can do via a text message. I can then turn on the GPRS mode and go online on my phone or laptop and track the car online via the GPS. Alternatively I can keep tracking by text messages

I can turn off the car either through the web interface or via text message. This will stop the engine but will not disable the starter motor. It can be set to operate when the car goes below 20kph to ensure it is travelling slowly, or to happen immediately.

I can also phone the car and listen in to see what is going on.

It operates on a PAYG sim card, which costs 6p per text to my phone as my main phone isn't with the same supplier. I have a spare phone which I keep at home with is on the same supplier (In case my phone is in the car when the car is taken) and texts to that are free.

The GPS receiver is very sensitive. The car is currently in my garage which is built in to my house, under a bedroom, with a metal door and the location is correct to within a few metres.

Total cost including putting credit on the SIM card is about £60. I'm sure that anybody who knows the cars very well would be able to find it and disable it in an hour or two, but it is an extra level of security on the car which at this price seems like a nice-to-have. Particularly in these days when a lot of cars are taken by somebody stealing the keys and quite often seem to park the car up for a few days nearby to see if it has a tracker fitted.

There are other features such as geo-fencing and speed limit alerts which I don't bother using but are nice-to-have for monitoring other peoples use of the car.

MC

Is this an offer to other owners who are interested for the same price?

SS
    Lexus LC500h.......New Daily run around with some saving the Planet thoughts
    Black/black 95 NSX NA with mk1 Ary exhaust....Now sold
    Red/Black 91 NSX treasure.....FI No more NA
    Silver/Pearl White/Black 1993 NSX 3.0 5 MT NSX ZAZ R-GT Twin Scroll Turbo

a google or ebay search on 'Anti-theft GPS Tracker Vehicle Alarm' will give you an idea of systems out there!!
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

We'll done MC that sounds like a great device and price and shame on you Britlude for even suggesting to go look on fleabay when someone on our forum has at least made the effort to inform members of a device that he at least fitted and knows works.
    Why is there so much negativity and clickyness going on in this site?

where's the negativity??? i was suggesting to silver surfer where a device of this type could be sourced for mistercorns suggested £60 budget. i suggested it so that mistercorn could keep his particular system confidential if he wished. i have no idea where mistercorn got his system anyway!!! no negativity given or implied!

i did a quick search because i too thought it was a good idea!

sometimes i wonder why i bother!!! oh well, shame on me!
    Last edited by britlude; 28-05-2014 at 11:16 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

The system I used is the TK103B tracker:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tracker-Vehi...eywords=tk103b

With the siren:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Siren-GPS103...s=tk103b+siren

and vibration sensor

http://www.amazon.co.uk/sensor-GPS10...s=tk103b+shock

I can supply these if anybody is interested, the three parts above and also the lifetime license for the GPRS operation (which I can't see on Amazon) for £55 delivered in the UK. The only thing you will need is to register the sim card which I will supply and put a minimum of £10 credit on it. I will provide details on fitting to the NSX and also all of the commands you need to correctly set up the unit for GPRS operation.

If you do want to buy directly from Amazon then be aware that some of the TK103B units being sold are old stock which don't have the sleep mode on them, this means they consume about 50mA in standby rather than around 20mA of the later units.

I do appreciate that this is something that a few people would be interested in but might not have the willingness or the ability to figure out what to do in the first place and take a chance on it working / not working. I have supplied these to some of my friends on 911uk as I have also fitted a unit to my Porsche and have helped a few people on there fit the system to their cars. I am very active on there with the same username. I have 10 units coming in this week direct from the factory and three or four aren't spoken for yet if anybody is interested.

I'm not posting this to make a big commercial thing of this (If I was I picked the wrong car/forum), I initially bought one of these to test out after a discussion on the 911uk forum and thought that they were so good for the price I have fitted them to most of my cars and want to share the opportunity with other enthusiasts.

MC

Hi Martin

After reading this I wish I had asked you to look at the 968CS immobiliser while you were here last week! Also puts Porsche VTS into perspective at £1200 to install and £200 pa to subscribe. Do you happen to know how insurers rate your system?

Nick

I strongly suspect insurers wouldn't take any notice of it as it isn't a Thatcham approved system and wasn't fitted by an approved fitter. It is purely for me to give an extra bit of security at a low price. Besides, I like tinkering with cars.

MC

9. Default

I didn't think there was any "Negativity" - nice to have more information and as a result looks like we know where to get such wonderful devices -
    Thank you to Mistercorn for the added info. Anyone up for a fitting service at Silverstone Classic ? (maybe I jest)

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    where's the negativity??? i was suggesting to silver surfer where a device of this type could be sourced for mistercorns suggested £60 budget. i suggested it so that mistercorn could keep his particular system confidential if he wished. i have no idea where mistercorn got his system anyway!!! no negativity given or implied!

i did a quick search because i too thought it was a good idea!

sometimes i wonder why i bother!!! oh well, shame on me!
    Mike

at least you'd have a system that is trackable if not thatcham approved. If you need thatcham compliance get an alarm fitted, this as a supplimentary system it can't be faulted

turns out the TK103B is the one that turned up in most in my google/ebay searches from £38 to £60 depending on extras
    Last edited by britlude; 29-05-2014 at 09:54 AM.
    aka Jonathan!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast