Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What have you driven and how does it compare to the nsx?

Elise S2 with factory 135 upgrade ... Pure Lotus ... Light, planted, driver controlled ... A stripped out NSX without the harshness of the Exige or type R ...
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Like your thinking Paul

I spoke to a guy last weekend who had not long switched to a supercharged Elise S3 (or S2.5) and he said the fit & finish was a world apart from his previous Lotii, even after 20k miles. It wouldn't be as comfortable over a distance and wouldn't have the storage space that's 2nd nature to an NSX, but it could be just the thing for an early morning blast.

If there was ever an NSX meet again in the Thames Valley, give me a shout and I'll bring the Europa along and let you have a try - it's a hoot. Mid-engine RWD, 225bhp via turbo but <1000kgs weight, big AP Racing brakes and relatively fat Yoko AD08Rs means in the right conditions it can grip and stop rather well
    ex owner - various Hondas inc 03 NFR NSX-T
    Current fun car Lotus Evora 400

Quote Originally Posted by Papalazarou View Post
    Certainly where I live, the NSX has about the right amount of power. In that you can use all of it and appreciate what is happening at the same time. Rather than frantically chasing gears and braking zones.
    The low slung cockpit, engine sound, higher revving character and general dynamics means extra power, although preferable, isn't at the top of my list.
    For instance, there is a straight near where I live and as it is normally deserted, it's a great opportunity to rev the car out through a few gears. In a GTR you'd be at warp speed. Whereas the NSX give you time to enjoy the noise, relative power and the speed. Often less is more.
    I've only been in one SC NSX, but spoken to a few owners. The extra torque sounds great, but it appears that although something is gained, something is also lost. Perhaps some SC owners could comment.

Cheers.
    Judging from the journey to and from Japfest the answer is fuel consumption as I got there and back on one tank but Kare on the other hand.............

As with the above I would be happy to bring the 360 to an NSX meet if you guys would like to have a poke around it.

An enjoyable thread....here are my experiences

I have owned my NSX for nearly ten years and, to be honest, bought it without realising how special it is. I retired early and combined the sale of my XJR/M3/328GTS into one car - a nearly-new 996 convertible.

I had owned the 328 for 16 yrs. I sold my house to buy it. I covered a substantial mileage - particularly on EU tours and absolutely loved every minute - only to find it was virtually unsaleable versus cars of the same age but (ridiculously) with only 1k or 2k miles.

I hated the ride of the 996. Having grown up with early Elans, I had grown to love compliant, well-controlled suspension - but the 996 had a dreadful ride on country B' roads, where the 328 excelled.

Cue the NSX.

Whilst owning it, I enjoyed several of Maranello's finest - a 246 Dino, a 550 Maranello, a 550 Barchetta, and an F430; and to give an extra dimension, one of the last 993s.

All of these were wonderful and enchanting.

However, none had the unique mix of qualities which makes the NSX so special.

Others have explained it very well.

For me, it is summed up in the word "engaging" - a combination of driving dynamics, wonderful ride, sound track, superlative driving position, quality of manufacture, subtlety of image, being different, and a reasonable dose of practicality - plus ALWAYS giving a sense of great occasion.

It's power-to-weight ratio works in the real world and I can attest to it's dynamic capabilities flattering the driver to outperform more powerful "exotica".

The F430 was my last Ferrari - bought to celebrate the loss of a great friend. It was truly impressive.

On my judgement day, I drove the 993, F430, and NSX back-to-back over the same piece of demanding road. For me the NSX was the clear winner. And the others were sold.

The Caterham CSR which replaced the F430 is another special car. If a little less practical......

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Papalazarou View Post
    I've only been in one SC NSX, but spoken to a few owners. The extra torque sounds great, but it appears that although something is gained, something is also lost. Perhaps some SC owners could comment.
    SC: only gains but no lost at all (except in the wallet). The extra power is needed to keep all the kids in their GTIs, OPCs, Boxters and Cayman behind you.
    Beside an NSX I'd rather buy a Caterham Seven than a Lotus Elise/Evora. But a Seven asks for a lot of compromises, so it certainly won't be driven as much as the NSX. On the other end a MP4-C would be the one to replace the NSX but maintainance costs and depreciation (allready 50%) are unknown and why a difforce after 12+ years. The NSX still feels like a great modern car.

it's very interesting reading your driving experiences of other cars against driving the nsx.
    are the auto's just as appealing, or where you all describing manuals?

some of the ferrari's you have mentioned i'd never get a chance to drive, but hopefully one day i'll get a spin in an nsx to experience what you are all describing.

one question i'd like to ask, if you all woke up tomorrow and your nsx 'disappeared' what would you buy to replace the nsx that would be as good as it?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingsniffer View Post
    RX7 - awesome acceleration, crazy bong where the red line should be, fuel (and oil) consumption from hell
    Forgaot about those, was lucky enough to have three of those and they are comparable to the NSX in handling, I'll go as far as to say more predictable and the acceleration is on par and once modified...

I guess it's horses for courses: personally I found mine to be rather soul-less and lacking any discernible character.

However the engine was the smoothest thing I have ever driven. So unlike anything else.

And in a funny quirk of fate, I bought my RX7 from Keith Sutton, the prodigious F1 photographer and friend of Ayrton Senna. I believe he handled some of AS's PR too.
    Last edited by flyingsniffer; 30-05-2014 at 01:38 PM.
    Daily driver: Jaguar iPace HSE
    2000 NSX Coupe, Circuit Blue, was W2NSX now V6NSX
    Renault Megane RS Trophy R
    Other interesting mode of transport: Bell JetRanger

Quote Originally Posted by goldnsx View Post
    SC: only gains but no lost at all (except in the wallet). The extra power is needed to keep all the kids in their GTIs, OPCs, Boxters and Cayman behind you.
    Beside an NSX I'd rather buy a Caterham Seven than a Lotus Elise/Evora. But a Seven asks for a lot of compromises, so it certainly won't be driven as much as the NSX. On the other end a MP4-C would be the one to replace the NSX but maintainance costs and depreciation (allready 50%) are unknown and why a difforce after 12+ years. The NSX still feels like a great modern car.
    Don't you lose the induction noise and the engine character?

Cheers.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast