Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you driven and how does it compare to the nsx?

Default What have you driven and how does it compare to the nsx?

Hi all

i really like how my nsx drives, how it appears to have that almost indefineable 'something' that makes it truly feel magical to drive, even in comparasin to other, more modern cars.

im referring to the driving experience as a whole, rather than outright performance as many hatches today can do the numbers!

two examples I can remember recently-

- driving my friends gallardo for the weekend. ' don't do it' I was told 'it'll make your nsx feel like a civic' but you know what? It didn't. It made a big noise and certainly had the performance, but I felt the steering artificial, the 4 wheel drive detracting from the experience and the ride quite hard, even for a sports car due to the mandatory huge wheels and low profile tyres. It was definitely faster, but strangely not definably so. Getting back in the nsx the car felt keener to respond, light footed and what ever the performance difference was more than made up for with the higher pitched more frenetic engine note. I was expecting to love the gallardo, for it to become my 'must have' car and a worthy replacement or step up from the nsx. But for all that is and for what you'd pay, it just isn't.

- I test drove a gtr. It felt massive and capable and very video game like. I drove roads considerably faster than ever before quite effortlessly, feeling at the time a great rush at doing so, but even on the next time through the same roads the excitement was replaced with a feeling more like, 'ah, so this is what this does'. Effective, but unemotive.
    These are just two examples, there are many more!

What have you driven that has reinforced the nsx as a superlative drivers car, and what is the 'magic' in how one covers the ground in the right hands, I still can't put my finger on it!

But I do love it......

Well, given that I have hardly driven an NSX yet I can't comment with any authority, but I can tell you what I am expecting. My daily driver at the moment is an E46 M3 convertible, which with a 3.2l 6 cylinder engine and revving to 8000rpm is similar to the NSX, but it has 340hp rather than the <300 of the NSX. The M3 is also heavier and nowhere near as stiff. I expect the NSX to be much more nimble and handle much better whilst also being faster and making a great sound. I also have a 2004 996 turbo running about 670hp. In a straight line this will obviously destroy the NSX, but I expect the NSX to feel as if it can be driven harder and to provide much more driver feedback without the 4wd.
    I'll found out in a weeks time when I pick up my car.

I never push my cars to the limit on the road anyway, so I might never find out. I want an NSX for the looks, the sound, and the history of the car and the design. To me it is pretty much unique in those respects and if I had such a thing it would be a definite 'bucket list' car.

MC

Another localish member, may have to have a mini meet and drive sometime.
    hope the car is everything you expect.

cheers Ian

Having recently put my NSX back on the road it felt reassuringly like an old friend that would always be there.

Over the past 8 yrs Ive covered around 36k miles and never once felt uncomfortable, bored, or as if its just a car .... dont know how they did it but Honda definately added 'something' when they signed off into production.

SL350 (R107); lovely, relaxed cruising car but would be used very differently but I get the attraction

Current Vanquish; so much torque it was obscene! Brakes to die for! But, the actual drive left no better impression than my daily C350 estate .... back in the 90's I drove a V8 Vantage and still remember the occasion and drama that car offered, and what a sound! The current one at £223k as specced, forgetable.

regards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Great stuff!

i find it interesting that eve when you own big power stuff the nsx's appeal remains, power really isn't everything then?

i remember my good friend taking me out in his r33 with 700+ to the wheels! absolutely brutal! This was a guy so into modifying he couldn't have an ek9 without putting a turbo on it. He once told me if someone came to him with a standard car he'd feel sorry for them! Now that he has the big power skyline, when we talk the idea of supercharging the nsx he relies 'don't touch it' !

i often drive my car and it feels neither old, dated nor slow, which many of its 'stats' might suggest that it would!

I guess you you either get the 'magic' or you don't!

incidentally, read ages ago of a few guys on here doing turbo builds anyone heard any more about that? Seemed very interesting.

jamie

Jamie,

there's about half a dozen SC cars, all NA1's I believe, and a couple Turbos, the Black one at Japfest and Amo is slowing building a 600hp monster

not sure if any more, but of course there a number of more subtle mods mainly exhaust, headers and intake in various forms/mixes

regards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Having been lucky enough to have driven many different supercars and sports cars on the road over the last 20 years there is one abiding memory which stands out as to why I will probably never part with my beloved NA1 and that is the time when I travelled up to Hinckley in 2000 to test drive the Ultima GTR with a view to part exchange it.
    After driving nearly 200 miles to get there in my NSX and still feeling totally fresh and unfatigued I was then taken out for the most brutal back breaking and gut wrenching 10 mile road test of my life on the local A & B roads by the founder of the Ultima car company himself. We swapped seats to drive back and it was at this point I totally realised what the Honda NSX design philosophy and intentions were all about. Although the outright performance and mind numbing sound of the GTR itself grabbed you by the balls it also completely wears you out both physically and mentally in no time at all while never at any time feeling totally at one with this over power steered monster of a car and after a couple of hours having the factory tour and sales pitch I couldn't wait to get back into what I call my gazelle and enjoy a fantastic spirited drive home. No other car I've ever driven has given me the comfort, compliance and handling qualities of my 92 NSX and after 16 years of ownership it still brings a smile to my face and excites me just looking at it let alone driving it.
    We'll done Honda!

I have driven many things, but I am a fan of the FR platform. The last thing being an SLS AMG and I must say that it was AMAZING. No comparison my friends. Brakes were superb, power out of this world and fit and finish, second to none!

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Jamie,

there's about half a dozen SC cars, all NA1's I believe, .....
    regards, Paul
    Who are the other 3 SC NSX owners bar me and Gary?......

SS
    Lexus LC500h.......New Daily run around with some saving the Planet thoughts
    Black/black 95 NSX NA with mk1 Ary exhaust....Now sold
    Red/Black 91 NSX treasure.....FI No more NA
    Silver/Pearl White/Black 1993 NSX 3.0 5 MT NSX ZAZ R-GT Twin Scroll Turbo

The only modern I've driven that is a close to the NSX is the Evora.

I prefer the Honda, as the Toyota engine is a little bland & the overall feel a little 'kit car' but it's still a lovely, characterful device.

I'd probably prefer the 'Mini-NSX' new S2000 to the full-on new NSX, as I feel the latter may suffer from overkill for our roads. Have to find out in a couple of years...
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast