Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BEST TYRES FOR PHASE 2 NSX?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXGB
    I felt the handling of my car was not as it should be with 205/45/16 Michelins up front with 245/45/17 P Zero's at rear
    You might not need me to tell you that these sizes are not quite correct for the NSX, and mixing tyres is going to have an effect.

FR size should be 205/45/16, RR should be 245/40/17.

Also I have not noticed any heavier feeling to the steering with the larger tyres I have put on (225/45/16 & 255/40/17).
    If your fear of staying alive, outweighs the thrill of making the corner, brake.

Darren - bit strong wasn't it? Maybe there's history there, I don't know.

Personally I'm glad there's TC on the car, but then I pretty much only intend on public road driving for it and if you're in the realms of understeer/oversteer in a 170mph supercar on public roads you want sectioned. IMHO.

Hmmm, I thought that was a bit strong too, but I'm sure not meant as harsh as it came across??

While I'm new to the NSX scene I am admittedly at the lower end of the knowledge scale. I'm just posting my thoughts/comments so that someone can maybe point me in the right direction or learn from my mistakes maybe? After all that's why we are here?

I know that the TCS on the NSX is not brilliant, and I know that if you are driving the car to it's limit on a track you may not want TCS on. But handling characteristics aren't only important at the limit. Wet weather driving (and I don't mean driving like a nutter) I found my car could understeer where I felt it shouldn't and also oversteering with the TCS on, which in my mind is where you'd most need it on a road car? If my car is performing this way in the wet, IMHO I would think it may not be as good as it should in the dry.

I'm aware that the tyre sizes are wrong all round, something that I did not notice when I bought the car unfortunately. The fronts are like new, suggesting a v hard compound whereas the rears have gone in 4000 miles, being Pirelli's, a very soft compound possibly. I know that having different tyres front/back or left/right will make the car unbalanced and from what I have read I would guess that having a more grippy rear against a not as grippy front would promote understeer.
    Taking all of the above into consideration I deemed that my best plan to correct the handling was to put all back to OEM, then I have a better starting point should I need to investigate further.

The TCS on the NSX is not like a modern Merc's or BMW ESP system. All the TCS seems to do is prevent too much application of throttle in a bend, or when starting off.

If you go in too fast into a corner, the TCS will do nothing to help. I have found it useful on occasion though on small roundabout in the wet.

On the track with my driving style it hasn't caused me real problems. I am very much a 'slow in' to corners. So again if the TCS comes in, it just means I get a very slow exit too!

Biggest prob now is I can't reach the TCS button to turn it off, when I have the 5 point harness on! Usually happens after the first corner of every session.
    If your fear of staying alive, outweighs the thrill of making the corner, brake.

After trying to get Toyo Proxies for a month (last December) I gave up and got a set of Kumho Ecsta, without knowing anything about them. This may seem risky, but the Yokohama's were showing wire so.......!! 6 months on 5,000 miles, a half track day, and I am very impressed. ok I did take off half the toe out on the fronts, which has improved tire life heaps. In the wet they are very good, and very predictable. On the track, (my first in the NSX, Mondello - just outside Dublin), they were very balanced, ok two quick spins in the first session, but no fault of the tires or the TCS (which was off, and really must be to get the best from the car on track). But in the latter sessions, when I learned to take two laps to warm front AND rears and leave the 4x4 brigade off, I started to have some real fun, again they grip very well and are very balanced, which means you can have lots of fun with the trottle. I will certainly be going for them again next time. oh and for anyone interested 225/45/16 and 255/40/17
    Ciaran

6. Default

Interesting thread.

"if you're in the realms of understeer/oversteer in a 170mph supercar on public roads you want sectioned. IMHO."

(IMHO) If you pride yourself as a competent driver with a modicum of ability at the wheel then I'd suggest that if your NOT able to comfortably get into the realm of under/oversteer when conditions allow (clear road, good line of sight etc.) then you should consider trying harder on track or taking a driving course of some sort. Sliding the car is not some kind of evil precipice which will instantly cause the end of the world, much as exceeding the speed limit does not automatically endanger those around you. Don't get me wrong, I'm not implying that you should be sliding at every corner just that having a little oversteer exiting a 2nd gear corner or a little stablizing understeer powering through a quick bend is a natural part of driving your car hard and you'll learn a little about its behaviour from it. Of course, the it takes a good few miles to get to know your car this well but I'd rather know what my car can and can't do, than never approach the limits and suddenly find out what happens when I need to ask something extra of it.

I'm resolutely in the "switch the TCS off" camp wet or dry. Frankly, it's rubbish; cutting in too late and then overeacting by completely killing the power. In a mid engined car I really don't think that's an ideal mid bend scenario! :shock:
    It does concern me a little that there seems to a perception (and I may be misunderstanding here) that TCS will save you from spinning, which is not the case. Stability control (a la Porsche PSM) probably could help, but all TCS will do is kill power - entering a corner too fast or simply inducing oversteer through sheer speed still has to be dealt with by the driver. Luckily the NSX is reasonably progressive in this way; indeed I had a little slide this weekend when I went into a corner a little too quickly :twisted: and the car just started to gently oversteer into the apex allowing me to tighten my line and get off the brakes. Good fun!
    Incidentally, I don't think the TCS would/should be affected in its operation by different size wheels and/or tyres as most traction control systems detect wheelspin by recognizing wheel rotation speed disparity across the axle, diagonally or both. Either way its the individual wheels higher rotation speed that triggers the system rather than increased or lowered gearing (of course, your speedo may not be as accurate as it was though!)

As an aside, I'm on my 3rd set of rear tyres since I bought the car (Toyo Proxes TX-1 as I find them excellent in the wet as well) but the fronts (Pilot sports) look like they'll last another 20000 miles! I've stuck with standard sizes but I've recently had the tracking looked at (lost a little of the rear toe in the hope that my tyres will last more than 2k miles!) and I'm trying different pressures. I'm told that running less rear pressure (say minus 5-10PSI) makes the rear breakaway more progressive. I'd certainly recommend the TX-1's - good tyre at a good price.

Just to readjust any perceptions of me from my comments: I will be doing a driver training course in the NSX just as soon as I have the money for a new set of rears ( ). I won the "track driver" award at the Lotus driver training day I attended, so whilst I know I'm no Ayrton I do believe I have some skill.

I have no problem with people driving quickly on clear roads, it would be hypocritical of me to say otherwise ... my assertion that you need "sectioned" was too strong. If you're constantly over the limits on public roads, however, I'd say you need to do more track days or get into racing. Simple as that.

Interesting points about the TCS, guess its an old system. I would certainly switch if off for track driving, I'd disable the ABS too.

8. Default

just thought I'd say how chuffed I am to be part of a forum which can discuss differing points of view in such a grown up and mutually respectful manner.
    It has crossed my mind more than once in this thread alone the kind of flaming and derogatory responses that would have been thrown around on some other boards I have been to in the past.

Thanks for making this such a great community!

I'd just like to see the people that can slide the car at will on roads (ITHO), attending the NSXCB trackday (17th July, Bedford).

Everyone has their opinion, on driving, sliding, etc etc, but without experiencing and learning from each other there's nothing to compare to.

10. Default

Agreed Kev, would be nice to exceed the 11 NSX's we had here last year.

The Date - Sat 17th July 2004
    The Venue - Bedford Autodrome
    The Organiser - RMA Ltd
    The Cost - £225 (less for RMA Members)
    The Fun Factor - :lol: :shock: 8) :twisted: :wink: :!:
    To Join us - Book here

in case any of you have not seen the official thread for this event it is here

Darren

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast