Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The new "NSX" and NSXCB

Nothing wrong with American built vehicles, planes, liberty ships...

The new NSX is a very different car to our P & J's but if it wasn't would anybody want one?
    I think the changes stand out more than with other marques because the original NSX has never really been developed since its launch. Let's face it even the NA2's and facelift cars are still essentially a car that was designed 25 years ago.
    A 458 is nothing like a 328 but the changes are not so dramatically thought off because there was a number of other models spreading the development in between.
    The original NSX was designed to move its market sector on to another level which it did to our delight rather well. I think the new NSX is trying to make the same step but now there is a new catergory of hypercars giving technology that is way out of the budget in which the NSX can be marketed.
    This means the new NSX is not so likely to come with features previously unseen on other cars but I see it as Honda trying to bring Hypercar technology into the supercar sector and hybrid/KERS systems are very much a part of that. Although it might not be to our tastes, I don't see that any manufacturer could currently look to produce a car without using these technologies for todays market.
    I think the lack of development of our cars left the general pubic with a belief that the NSX was no more special than any other high end Japanese car and it was the speculation of the new car that reminded people that the NSX is a supercar and resulted in the surge in values.
    The new car is still going to badged as an NSX and will be Honda's halo car with the same spirit of bringing new development to the market sector and should be welcomed as part of this forum.
    I suspect that most potential purchasers of the new car are viewing the forum anyway if not already long standing members.

Olly

I think with the new model also being called the NSX, a sub section on here should be
    considered. Also with both models being Honda's or Acura's halo cars, then it is more
    appropriate?
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

The new car will be badged as an NSX and it is nsxcb after all, so I can't any reason why it shouldn't be here.
    1995 Red/black manual coupe

I'm not entirely sure it should be called an 'NSX', maybe leave that unique to the legend?

It would be nice if it had shades of the original in the design, but it look's a little bland. Also not a fan of it being turbo charged - just doesn't seem right for a Honda used to screaming Vtecs over the years though! The electric motors on the front wheels seem a little gimmicky but i guess they are going to tie it in with their return to F1 with the hybrid technology. They will add weight though...

Finally the way Honda seem to be heading with the pricing also has hints of deja vu about it, i.e. too much against the very high end sports/super car manufacturers without the kudos. All imo of course, only time will tell...!
    Last edited by Sonic; 05-06-2014 at 08:06 PM.

Not sure why all the negative comments about the USA.

Granted they've not got the most comprehensive history in supercar design, but then (a) neither did Japan when the NSX was designed! and (b) the Hennessey Venom is by all accounts not just quick in a straight line but a bloody good steer too...

Naturally we all love 'our' NSX, but I think we could get a little carried-away with worship of a car which, in most driving regards, is no better than a 987/981 Boxster-S / Cayman-S (hardly a criticism, but a fair comment I think), and which if it wasn't for the Senna association wouldn't be held in quite as high esteem by the markets. Let's keep open minds here, eh guys???
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

Quote Originally Posted by havoc View Post
    Not sure why all the negative comments about the USA.

Granted they've not got the most comprehensive history in supercar design, but then (a) neither did Japan when the NSX was designed! and (b) the Hennessey Venom is by all accounts not just quick in a straight line but a bloody good steer too...

Naturally we all love 'our' NSX, but I think we could get a little carried-away with worship of a car which, in most driving regards, is no better than a 987/981 Boxster-S / Cayman-S (hardly a criticism, but a fair comment I think), and which if it wasn't for the Senna association wouldn't be held in quite as high esteem by the markets. Let's keep open minds here, eh guys???
    I agree with you. I don't know why all the US negativity. Lets not forget that the Mustang was bringing power to the masses and the Corvette can compete with the best of them.

I'll reserve judgement until it is properly out in the wild. If it is an affordable but not as extreme McLaren P1, then Honda, sorry Acura will have done a good job. Where it is made shouldn't make any difference these days, unless it is truly hand fettled, which, I understand, it won't be.

I think it does matters where it is built. Cars farmed out to other countries often suffer from a decline in build standards. Mercedes comes to mind with the US built MLs. As does early British made Hondas.
    When I think of American cars as a whole, I think of cars made to a price, with outdated drivetrains, suspension and dynamics.
    The corvette does stand up well to the competition in performance tests however. Although it and other US sports cars are always marked down for build quality and dynamics. I guess this can be forgiven in the price.
    The thing that makes the new Honda a no go for me, apart from the price. Is the obvious USDM styling. If it was closer to the earlier concept; looked remotely like an NSX, I'd be interested. As it is, it could be the offering from any of a number of manufacturers. There is IMO nothing which singles it out as a Honda.
    As for letting it loose on NSXCB. For the reasons above, I think it should have its own forum. However, I'm usually in the minority, so I look forward to the first wave of self congratulatory owner, patting each other on the back in light of their new purchases.

Cheers.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

Apart from the fairly obvious market size and therefore sales return on investment angle, I understood one of the reasons to be of reducing risk following the sad losses and events around the Tsunami.

So many lives were lost but also many of the businesses that make Japan a success suffered huge operational impact and commercial losses that spreading its manufacturer globally does in some why reduce a potential repeat.

The latest reports I read said that the concept will not be shown again. The next time the car is seen it will be in launch spec which I understand to be a more Honda corporate front end, centred exhausts, non bling wheels and minor interior tweaks.

I will set about opening the Next Gen space, I odnt see why we shouldnt do this, will be done as soon as I get some spare time guys ...

regards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast