Thread: Aircon pump

Default Aircon pump

Mine is buggered. Anyone have a spare or know where I can get mine refurbed?
    Not another NSX project!
    Porsche 997 GT3
    Porsche 981 Boxster S
    BMW E46 M3
    1998 NA2 Midnight Purple Targa Manual - Gone - to Thailand
    1999 NA2 Kaiser Silver Manual Track Car - Gone - and found its true destiny on the race track
    1992 NA1 Sebring Silver Coupe Manual -
    Gone (although still in my showroom in storage)

Quote Originally Posted by drmikey View Post
    Mine is buggered. Anyone have a spare or know where I can get mine refurbed?
    Rock Auto in the USA. Get the later design which apparently draws less power from the engine whilst running...
    when you order, pay the VAT up front and it will be on your doorstep in about 4 days.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXGB View Post
    Rock Auto in the USA. Get the later design which apparently draws less power from the engine whilst running...
    when you order, pay the VAT up front and it will be on your doorstep in about 4 days.

Thanks for that. Do you know which is the later type? There are five listed - are they all compatable?

http://www.rockauto.co.uk/catalog/raframecatalog.php?ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=GBP&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=991gvod93orcgv1ar9iuq3uce5
    Not another NSX project!
    Porsche 997 GT3
    Porsche 981 Boxster S
    BMW E46 M3
    1999 NA2 Kaiser Silver Manual Track Car - Gone - and found its true destiny on the race track

This one I believe
    http://www.rockauto.co.uk/catalog/mo...932&cc=1423235

But to be sure, I think it can be confirmed in a thread here somewhere, I'll have a look for you.

EDIT: Here is the thread with Kaz's input. http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...ght=Compressor
    Looks like the one I listed above is the correct one as it has the P9K part number listed.
    Last edited by NSXGB; 25-02-2014 at 10:42 PM.

Blog Entries

Hi, drmikey.

Not sure about the spec of your existing A/C comp. CL and bracket on the Eng block but for sure, it’s better to use P9K spec compressor that was shared with other Honda models such as Integra, Civic.

As mentioned in my other post, it will reduce the amount of friction loss on the engine power when the A/C system is in operation. From the efficiency point of view, the old days R12 compressor was much better than the current R134a ones.

While the geometry of the mounting holes on the A/C compressor body is the same between all year models, the mounting bracket and A/C comp. CL were modified for 97+.

The bracket was changed in order to increase the clearance between the NA2 OEM header and the comp. body.
    NA1 stayed with the dreadful casting exh manifold even for 97+ models but since using the P9K compressor, 97+ NA1 models also started using the later spec bracket.

Because the geometry between the crank pulley and the A/C idle pulley (belt tension adjuster) stayed the same even on 97+ models but the P9K compressor shifted outwards, the offset of the comp. CL was changed accordingly.

In other words, you need to keep the specific combination between the A/C comp. CL and the mounting bracket.
    It has to be either 97+ or pre-97 spec for both the comp. CL and the bracket.
    You can’t mix and match them such as 97+ comp. CL with pre-97 bracket and vice versa.

I have never bought P9K spec compressor from Rock Auto so I don’t know which type of comp. CL comes with it but if it is the same as the OEM one, it will be the 97+ spec.
    Based on your signature section, I presume the broken compressor is on your NA2 model so you already have 97+ spec bracket and thus, you should be able to just swap the compressor if the Rock Auto one comes with 97+ spec CL.

For those with pre-97 NSX using the old spec bracket, just remove the comp. CL from your existing compressor and re-use it on the new compressor body.
    Or, if your existing pre-97 spec comp. CL is dead or if you installed NA2 OEM header or aftermarket one on pre-97 NSX, you may want to buy new 97+ spec bracket if you can confirm that the Rock Auto one comes with the 97+ spec comp. CL.

Please note that if your pre-97 spec comp. CL is dead, you have the option to buy the new pre-97 replacement CL and mount it on the P9K spec new compressor with your existing pre-97 bracket as well.

(I think most of the readers are confused by now with my poor English..... Even myself got confused while writing.....)

The bracket is not that super expensive but also not cheap (about US$126) for what it does so just need to balance between the cost and your objective.

It would be nice if someone can provide us with the feed back on the Rock Auto P9K spec compressor as I’m quite sure, the owners including myself will be interested in its bracket compatibility.
    My compressor is also getting noisy and with tiny pin hole in my A/C evaporator, sooner or later, I’ll be replacing mine as well.

Thank you.
    Kaz
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 26-02-2014 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Even I got confused....

Thanks for all the info Kaz and NSXGB.

Yes mine is NA2 so ordered the one pictured on Rock Auto (actually found it a little cheaper elsewhere).

The clutch looks the same as the one that came off my car.

Interestingly as kaz states the compressor is identical to that of the Integra Type R DC2 (which I have about 20 of!) but unfortunately the clutch and pulley are different, and that is what had broken on my compressor.
    Not another NSX project!
    Porsche 997 GT3
    Porsche 981 Boxster S
    BMW E46 M3

I am in the same boat my compressor completly seized and the clutch atually started to melt causing smoke to poor out the engine bay. For a couple of minutes I actually thought the whole engine was on fire because of the smoke you can imagine my relief to find out it was only the clutch on the compressor overheating.
    I am also about to order the same compressor from Rock auto ident number 4711193 but i noticed you have to change other parts for the warrenty to be valid.ie orifice tube,expansion valve and the dryer/accumulator. I noticed Rock Autos do a compressor kit ident number 9642874 which includes these parts but the compressor has a differeant ident number i think its a differant brand but it says its compatable does anyone know if this is right or not. It not does anyone know what the ident numbers are for the other parts.

Finally can anyone recommend a good Mobile car A/C company that covers the South East London or Nortk West Kent Area.

Many Thanks
    Mark

I can recommend these guys http://www.compressortech.co.uk/

Based in Brum, but people travel from all over to use these guys. All local prestige dealerships use them and they've done work on my car too. Thumbs up from me.