Thread: Noisy pop-up....

Default Noisy pop-up....

Good evening all.

I have noticed that Y1's near-side headlight has become quite noisy when retracting - sort of a slightly rough / rattly sound. Operation is perfectly normal - up and down in time with its off-side friend, and normal motor-type noise when poping up.

Any ideas as to the possible cause and best route to diagnose the problem will be most welcome.

Thank you kindly in advance.
    2001 3.2 Circuit Blue Coupe with pop-ups!

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

I would suggest you remove the shroud via the 4 screw which will then expose the full mechanism and then get a friend to operate them while you closely inspect and identify. 10 minute job with a JIS screwdriver.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Should they be lubricated with anything? If so, where, and with what?
    Mine aren't silent, but they could perhaps be quieter.
    Would be interested in finding out what can be done.
    December '99 GH-NA2 110 series - 6AS62 Type S in Monte Carlo Blue Pearl

JIS screwdrivers ordered...I'll do as Pride suggests and take off the cover and see if anything is obvious from watching the light retract.

Nick...from my searching both on here and on Prime, I have not seen any references to lubricating the mechanism, so my guess is no.

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

Blog Entries

If the noise happens only on one way, not sure it's the linkage but this mechanism should be lubricated using standard multi-purpose grease.

Try removing the old grease as much as possible before applying the new one especially if using different type of grease.
    Small amount is enough. It can attract and trap extra debris if applied too much.

For the quick inspection, spray-type penetrating oil becomes handy but some of them (such as WD40) will wash off the grease so please clean it thoroughly before applying the fresh grease.

After the inspection, please pull out the retractor motor fuse before placing your hands, tools in there. You don't want accidentaly catching something between the linkage.

You can manually operate the motor/linkage using the rotational knob under the cap with arrow marking.

Cover the tiny gap/slit between the front wing and the retra headlight cover before removing/installing the colour coded oval cap covering the two outboard bolts.

Kaz

Thank you for the advice and tips Kaz.

Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz-kzukNA1 View Post

Cover the tiny gap/slit between the front wing and the retra headlight cover before removing/installing the colour coded oval cap covering the two outboard bolts.

Kaz
    Wise words, I've nearly lost those little caps a few times.

A bit of copper grease on the screws will mean they will come out easier if there is a next time.

Mine are noisy ish but both the same, so never thought much of it...be interested in whether you get yours any quieter.
    Last edited by NSXGB; 25-04-2019 at 07:10 PM.

Update: Shiny new JIS screwdrivers arrived so I took the cover off the noisy light (all 4 screws released without problem, but a dab of copper grease on each as per Simon's recommendation when replaced) and with youngest son in charge of the headlight button (I still have a full complement of fingers!), I watched has the opened and retracted - but couldn't see anything obviously awry. I cleaned the hinges best I could with WD40....then removed the WD40....then added grease on both sides of each hinge.

A little more upping and downing and.....noise gone! I can only imagine the hinge joints had dried up and as a consequence were causing the slight 'chatter' I was hearing as the light retracted.

I also cleaned and greased the o/s light hinges whilst I was at it.

Thanks all for your help and advice, much appreciated as ever.
    Last edited by WhyOne?; 27-04-2019 at 07:56 AM.

Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)