Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speedo problem

This is my next winter project. I thought I've done them all (A/C, BOSE, SRS, ECU, TCS) so this is my next and hopefully last one.

2. Default

Hi Kaz,

Thanks for tip on checking the speedo accuracy. I will do that next time when I get on the freeway.

My brakelight on the cluster was lighting up occasionally before so I will see if it happen as you mention that is a serious fire problem which shall be a big caution for everyone. Thanks for sharing!

Impressive test rig.
    Is this a service you will be offering Kaz?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz-kzukNA1 View Post
    Glad you managed to fix the issue.
    If you replaced the caps with different spec, you may want to double check the speedo against the GPS as you may have introduced some error between the two.
    Car manufactures tend to on purposely set the speedo reading bit higher than the actual figure but it could go the other way round after replacing the caps.
    You should be able to adjust it by turning the small VR at the top of the gauge. You can access them behind the sticky tape.

The capacitor leakage and damages to the circuit board on the gauge assy are becoming common failure these days as our NSX is getting really old.

Currently, Mr Toyoizumi at T3Tec are dealing with 6 dash gauges in a row.

The common failure mode is the speedo showing much lower figure compared to the actual GPS reading and the famous ‘BRAKE LAMP’ warning indicator stays On forever even when there is no bulb failures at the brake lights.

This NA1 Type-R speedo should be at 180kph at this signal frequency but only showing just over 100kph.
    Another gauge showing the correct speed at the same frequency but the ‘BRAKE LAMP’ warning stays On even when the detection circuit is connected to the GND.

The ‘BRAKE LAMP’ warning can be triggered by several reasons but if you checked all of the light bulbs and the big 20pin connector at the left forward section of the boot behind the carpet and still getting the same issue but intermittently, then you may want to consider servicing the dash gauge assy.

It could be the first sign of the serious 'burnt dash gauge' issue......

I originally saw the burnt dash gauge example on NSX Prime but it also happened on several NSX in Japan.

On one occasion, it ended up with serious discussion between the Honda customer support, R&D, gauge manufacture, fire department in Japan as it was considered to be production car fire incident on the public road.
    You don’t want to see smoke suddenly coming out from somewhere behind the steering wheel while you are driving…..

Kaz

[All photos are courtesy of Mr Toyoizumi at T3Tec, Japan. Thank you for allowing me using these photos.]

Hi Kaz,

there are two VR1 and VR2 potentiometers- trimer on a single printed circuit board.
    You can explain to me what it affects VR1 and what VR2

Mario

Hi,
    I have asked for an explanation to Mr. Toyoizumi from T3Tec.
    I received a reply in Japanese or there is someone who could help me translate (Google translator is not precise)

Mario says:
    おはようございます

私はGoogleの翻訳者を使っていますが、あなたが理解しているかどうかわかりません
    英語で書けますか。
    ヨーロッパでは、PCB speedo用のVR1およびVR2ポテンショメータが何のためにあるのか私には説明できません

敬意の言葉

Mr.Toyoizumi says:
    私 英語分かりません。

SpeedMeterの基板?
    VR1 VR2は
    速度の補正
    不具合が起きているのでしょうか?

Mario says:
    Acura NSXを持っています
    スピードメーターをkph-EUに変更しました(mph-USから)
    GPSを使って表示を修正したい(私はT3Tec Nsx Meter Testerを持っていない - 残念ながら)
    私はVR1がどう変わるのか、VR2がどう変わるのかを尋ねたかったのです。
    例:スピードメータースケールのゲイン調整、オフセット、直線性

Mr.Toyoizumi says
    なるほど。

2個のボリュームは
    低速レンジと
    高速レンジです

オフセットとゲインの関係もあるけれど。

まず、120km/h程度でVR1を調整し
    40㎞/h程度でVR2を調整していきます

できれば
    高速側は
    速度が高いほど誤差は少なくなります

I do not know how to express my gratitude to Mr Toyoizumi in words.
    I am asking for a hint

Blog Entries

At first let me state that my Japanese is quite basic (my brain seems to have issues keeping more than two languages at a time - or I'm simply too old ..)

After correcting some of the line feeds (to make the job of Google Translator a bit easier) it came up with a reasonable result, which i tweaked further:

I use a Google translator, but I do not know if you understand
    Can you write in English?
    In Europe, I can not explain to me what the VR1 and VR2 potentiometers for PCB speedo are for.

A word of respect

I do not understand English.

The Speedo PCB?
    Did VR1 and VR2 speed correction problems arise?

I have an Acura NSX
    Changed the speedometer to kph-EU (from mph-US)
    I want to fix the display using GPS (I don't have T3Tec Nsx Meter Tester-unfortunately)
    I wanted to ask how VR1 changes and how VR2 changes.
    Example: Speedometer scale gain adjustment, offset, linearity

I see.

There are two potentiometer, one for the slow and one for fast speed range.
    There is an additional relation between offset and gain.

At first, adjust VR1 at about 120 km/h and VR2 at about 40 km/h.
    If it's possible use a higher speed. The higher the speed, the lower the error. (probably relates to VR1)

He probably suggested 120 km/h as the Japanese highway speed limit is 120 (my guess, to not encourage speeding) but a higher speed would be better for accuracy.
    From the T3TEC screenshots that Kaz posted a while ago they do test with 180 km/h, it seems.

Regarding a thank you, this page might be of interest: https://www.livinglanguage.com/blog/...ions-you-need/
    From my (foreign) experience, it's the thought that counts and not so much a perfect handling. If in doubt, rather use something simple than nothing at all

PS: Now I'm ready to be smashed to pieces for my limited Japanese but at least I tried
    1997 JDM Custom Order AT VIN 1400005 - Stock
    Heineken's Garage

I have also just put this through my translator and this is what it came out with:

Good morning

I use a Google translator, but I do not know if you understand
    Can you write in English?
    In Europe, I can not explain to me what the VR1 and VR2 potentiometers for PCB speedo are for

A word of respect

Mr. Toyoizumi says:
    I do not understand English.

SpeedMeter substrate?
    VR1 VR2
    Speed ​​correction
    Is the problem happening?

Mario says:
    I have an Acura NSX
    Changed the speedometer to kph-EU (from mph-US)
    I want to fix the display using GPS (I don't have T3Tec Nsx Meter Tester-unfortunately)
    I wanted to ask how VR1 changes and how VR2 changes.
    Example: Speedometer scale gain adjustment, offset, linearity

Mr.Toyoizumi says
    I see.

2 volumes are
    With low speed range
    It is a high speed range

There is also a relationship between offset and gain.

First, adjust VR1 at about 120 km / h
    We will adjust VR2 at around 40km / h

if you can
    The high speed side is
    The higher the speed the less the error
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Colleagues,
    I would like to thank you for your help in translating. I carried out the speedometer correction - I do not recommend running on the highway - it's dangerous. The future is better done with the help of the waveform generator. Since I have Aftermarket wheels (different wheel diameter) I wanted to reduce the error.
    Thank you again for your help

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12