Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Private /Personalised Number Plates

Default Private /Personalised Number Plates

As spotted in the For Sale section, but I didn't want to hijack that thread. What are peoples feeling on private plates and the cost of them? I know that different numbers mean more to some than others and the prices vary on what people are willing to pay.

As my car already came with a "NSX" number plate (A18 NSX) I din't feel the need to go and buy another one...........until I got rid of my trusty BMW 5 Series and bought my Range Rover Sport. When I bought that car, it too had a personalised plate but the previous owner wanted to keep it, therefore it was put back to it's original DVLA plate. A few months went by, and I hade a look through websites looking at private plates, but with little idea of what I wanted or how much I wanted to spend. Nothing rerally jumped out at me and then I had a lightbulb moment and thought I'd search numbers similar to what I have on my NSX, so I settled for A18 RRS.

To my annnoyance, there were loads that ended in RRS, but I wanted the one that matched my NSX plate by begining with A18. I ended up paying a grand all in (transfer costs etc) but had I gone for something like G24 RRS I could have got it for about £200.

Cheers

Jim
    1992 NSX, 3.0 Manual, (Was Sebring Silver) Now Kaiser Silver

2018 Jaguar XE, 2.0 R-Sport 250, Loire Blue.

2013 Kawazaki ER6F, Metalic Green.

I've had a few - all left on cars that I've bought. NSX plates are cheap as chips, so that's one reason.

I wouldn't pay for one though. The other two cars have age-related plates.

I've never been into private plates in the past, but went ahead and bought '11 NSX' for my LBB a couple of years ago. On the car it looks like 'll NSX' and I have to say I think it finishes the car off nicely (and wasn't a stupid amount of money IMO). I have absolutely no intention of selling my LBB, but if I were to, I'd definitely hang on to the plate... just in case the new NSX really is something special and I decide I just have to have one...

Mani.
    2003-2011: S2000
    2011-2015: LBBP Coupe
    Present: 911 50th Anniversary Edition

It depends what they say and mean, plus you've got to look at the market.

There were 999 NSX plates available to be issued each year. Of course 1-9 will be worth slightly more than the others. But as "*"999NSX is probably 'worth' the basic personalised plate price then even "*"1NSX should only fetch about £1k at most.

If it means something to you then pay what you want, just don't expect to get it back when you sell it.

I've bought 1, had 1 given and also bought a car with 1.

I still have 1 of them, the others went with the cars at no extra price as they weren't personal to me.

Without trying to offend the poster of the V6 plate.......I think it fits my explanation well.
    Unless you're an alien spotter who drives a V6 or UFO are your initials then I can't see it being worth much more than any basic V6"***" or "*"6UFO plate combined, so between £200 and £1000.

A friends grandfather had "***"1 so he was purposely named "***" so he'd get the plate.

I do quite like V6NSX, S1NSX and NSX1 though.
    ****1997 3.2 Orange / Black SOLD****

Previously driven by.........

Jeremy Clarkson, Tim Harvey, Richard Burns (RIP), Jason Plato, Harvey Postlethwaite (RIP), Manfred Wollgarten, Dirk Schoysman, Barrie Williams.

Nurburgring lap time 8:38 - Honda NSX (sport auto, 08/97)

I was fortunate that S2 was on my NSX from new and has Senninha alignment too ... Very handy ... It would stay with car if ever sold

ufo has left our orbit ....
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

My last NSX had a personalised plate and I was more than happy to see it go. My current car doesn't and I'm glad. The more I think about them, the more rediculous I think they are. I can't think of a single good reason for having one. IMO they're heavily pretentious, expensive, of no aesthetic benefit and in most cases tenuous. I've inherited two NSX plates over the years and found them an embarrassment.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

say how you feel mate!

i drift in and out of having an NSX plate on my car ... there is a semi personal plate on the car but thats more to do with the ex owner than anything else. and tbh its not got to the point were it would look odd if it was removed as i feel its a part of the car now and having had the car for close to 4 years. As NI is fairly small, most people know the car now with 'WAR' on it

I was interested in Y11 NSX that was knocking about and the owner was saying be great for a Yellow NSX ... but tbh I dont know if i can really be bothered in spending x hundreds of pounds going through the process and hassle of getting it transferred etc. Those hundreds of pounds can be put towards other NSX related projects which are on-going and I would prefer to sort out and put the cash into. I guess if i had no projects this may be a feature i could look at. But I would guess my attentions would move from the NSX to my new motorbike then!

I agree with what James says about 95% of the time, but 5% of me would like an 'NSX' type plate but tbh paying £££'s for something like that is hard to justify. The Government are making a mint of this lark too and there is no sign of the stupid monies being bandied about anytime soon.

But for those of you that have them fair do's ...

Quote Originally Posted by Papalazarou View Post
    My last NSX had a personalised plate and I was more than happy to see it go. My current car doesn't and I'm glad. The more I think about them, the more rediculous I think they are. I can't think of a single good reason for having one. IMO they're heavily pretentious, expensive, of no aesthetic benefit and in most cases tenuous. I've inherited two NSX plates over the years and found them an embarrassment.
    "The value of life can be measured by how many times you soul has been deeply stirred" - Soichiro Honda

Ive owned V6 NSX and now own NSX 6 and think they look great on the cars. Other things purchased to personalise are not as easy to remove

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tattoo.jpeg 
Views:	409 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	11992
    Scott
    1994 Red/black roof NA1 Manual
    1993 Red/black roof NA1 Auto - SOLD
    2001 Imola Orange Pearl NA2 T manual - SOLD
    2019 Mercedes GLC - Daily Drive

Previous Toys
    Chesil Porsche Speedster
    GTD GT40 5.7 L Ford
    2008 CAV GT40 5.7 L Ford Audi 6 speed trans
    Ultima Sports 5.7 L SBC, G50 trans
    Superformance AC Cobra 427 SC
    Factory Demonstrator Ultima Sports 5.7 L SBC, G50 trans

9. Default

Agree with James most of the time and would not spend silly money but have bought F16 NSX, awesome plate for the NSX and a bargain too!
    Formula Red NA2
    Imola Orange NA2
    Yellow NA2

I bought 46GT at a DVLA auction in 2005 for c£5k, to put on my Ford GT. I sold the car a couple of years later but kept the plate (the car went to Germany).

To cut a long story short, I sold the plate last year to my neighbour for his continental GT, for £8.5k plus a drive to the French Alps. So they can be a wise investment.

I agree that tasteful plates look OK, mine now sports Scott's old number.

If you watch the DVLA auctions, some of them go for silly money, mostly ones that mean nothing to me, but presumably they are sought after in certain communities of our broader society (ahem). There's a twitter feed (@DVLAAUCTION) that outlines some of the more interesting auction lots.

I used to know a builder in Derbyshire, his company was called 'Arbsit'. His elderly Rolls Royce had the number ARB51T, which looked quite good. Turns out he bought the car with that number and then changed the name of his company.....
    Daily driver: Jaguar iPace HSE
    2000 NSX Coupe, Circuit Blue, was W2NSX now V6NSX
    Renault Megane RS Trophy R
    Other interesting mode of transport: Bell JetRanger

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast