Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nsx values

Default Nsx values

I've read with interest the dynamic regarding NSX values on this site. It seems as though there is a group of us that want to try and push the value of our cars down or for them at least to stay the same. I don't know why that is given the current economic climate. Perhaps it is those that would prefer a better one - or don't yet have one - and see them slipping out of reach.

Again, I don't understand some statements that only certain NSX are worth having - for driving or investment. They are all rare, particularly in Europe, so, in the eye of the punter all are worth having. The fact is that, even during its production, the NSX was seen as quite special and very different from its other Japanese (300GT/300ZX) competitors even though sometimes it was lumped in with them. Now that nearly 10 years has passed since production ended, people (including investors) are getting wise to the fact that the car is going to be a sure fire A1 classic and that they "need to buy" now as there aren't many good R/H European ones around and that this will get less over time. This why prices are going up - it is now becoming a collector's car - like it or not. This applies to all NSX not just Type-R (not really available here), Type-S (ditto) and facelift models. Moreover, I would argue - having owned both types - that there is no real difference between 3.0 and 3.2 litre pop ups, although I would concede that having a NA2 is, overall, a better investment proposition as there are fewer of them.

So, my argument is that all NSX values are only going to go steadily up, with - over time - the key criteria for investment purposes being condition, condition, condition, coupled with a bit of provenance. That said, there will be a (sometimes big) differential between certain types (ie the last facelifts and Type-R) but all will be expensive - just some more than others. However, some won't be. Those that are in bad shape (overall condition or badly repaired) will continue to limp along at £10,000-15,000 as they are too uneconomical to restore and there are better ones to buy taking into account the cost of restoration. Hence, until we get to DB4/DB5 prices (which we won't), they will end up being scrapped for parts - where they are worth more. Similarly, autos will be slightly less loved but good ones will continue to make good money.

Even though I would prefer that my red/black NA1 manual coupe (the universal NSX?) was a different colour combination to differentiate it a little when we are all together, otherwise, I am very happy to have bought when I did and that there is 10,000 mile looking-like-new NSX in the garage. I say looking-like-new as it is going to Kaz soon for a full refresh (even though the engine has never had the covers off) and he may tell me that it's a pile of poo. However, I hope not and, if he does say that it's fab, then that will help to quell the myth that garage queens are worse buys than daily drivers! On the other hand, perhaps it will. Moreover, I'm glad that I wasn't tempted by a Boxster in 1997 (when I bought my first NSX) as that would be worth precisely zilch.

Welcome! A rare post regarding an interesting topic thats hot at the moment!

When I was looking, there were 4/5 cars that I was serious about, all potential or current
    modern classics now, with one being a 996. So like you, I'm glad I didn't get a Porsche.

Disclaimer, I'm not having a go against the 911 but they were too common & not special enough for me.
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

Values are heading north across the board on our NSX's which is great but don't forget to use the cars! It would be a crying shame for the new crop of owners to hide them in garages and not use them as they were intended

Interesting post for the most part, however your missing the point re the NSX ... The drive! And it's clear you do very little of that which is a real shame for you and you car
    "The value of life can be measured by how many times you soul has been deeply stirred" - Soichiro Honda

Allowing for not having been used the past two winters (it was previously all yr round), and due to a number of reasons its been off the road this year I've still added a healthy 35k miles in 5 1/2 yrs ... I'm in the bought to drive camp.

Had I wanted a garage queen investment I'd have bought the NA1-R that was sitting around when I bought mine ... would have double my money by now but doubt I would have had anywhere near the amount of fun or satisfaction ... to have had both would have been perfect ... and quite common these days!
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

I admit that my NSX has not been used - hence the garage queen comment at the end. And I agree also that it's a crying shame. It's just that there isn't enough time or money to do everything at the moment. I'm in the fortunate position of having a lot of motorbikes all vying for my attention and, when it comes to car-time, then my LCC Rocket always wins the day over the NSX. HOWEVER, I am very conscious that there is a very talented car in the garage and that not using it is not good for its health. Hence my decision this year to get it MOT'd (they just gasped at it really) and go for occasional longish drives. Indeed, I went out on my favorite route into Wales immediately after doing similarly in the Rocket and found that the times taken for the loop were remarkably similar - and the Rocket is insane. Also, mindful of Nobby's comment that they are meant to be driven, I have booked the car in with Kaz for the "full works" to ensure that, when I do use it properly again, it will be in the best possible health. As, like many others, I didn't buy it as an investment. More as a work of art actually. And I will never sell it so the investment issue is neither here nor there for me unless I HAVE to sell it. And talking of Kaz, I feel privileged to be able to use his services and not worry about having to go to Honda franchises.....Mastery is worth paying for.

Bernev

Of all the reasons not to use an NSX enough, having an LCC Rocket has got to be one of the best.

Wonderful, wonderful cars.
    2001 3.2 Circuit Blue Coupe with pop-ups!

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

How rare are these rockets? None for sale & tried to check " how many left "
    but the site keeps crashing! Looks like real fun car!
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

Quote Originally Posted by TheSebringOne View Post
    How rare are these rockets? None for sale & tried to check " how many left "
    but the site keeps crashing! Looks like real fun car!
    Super rare - less than 50 perhaps?

Manufacturing has been stop-start, and the LCC domain (where IIRC some used cars were sold, too) is now AWOL. Would love to try one on the track. More interesting to me than the Xbox/Atom/Mono types. Maybe the Brooke is easier to find and 99 percent as much fun?

Personally, I'm glad that these cars are beginning to occupy the place they deserve in the automotive ranks. I would however, like to give a big thumbs up to those dissenters, who'd have us drive other cars we don't like for the same money. Or who predicted a bubble that would strangely only affect the NSX. To you I giggle like a girl and dance in circles like a child.

Cheers,
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast