Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: nice lbb facelift nsx on PH.

With many more "mass produced" cars now being of aluminium rather than steel construction (Jaguar. Audi), will this mean that more NSX will live to see another day?

I don't think NSX's are getting written off because of a lack of skills to be able to repair them. I would say it's more related to the ridiculous prices Honda UK charge for parts.
    Spoke to the bodyshop repairing my car today and although their market is high end cars he was amazed at the cost of a door. His comment was " £4K, Thats more expensive than a Lambo, Ferrari, Bently or Aston!"
    Parts prices to match Japan or the States would save a lot of cars from being written off and help prevent badly repaired cars being put back on the road.

Olly

Quote Originally Posted by NZNick View Post
    With many more "mass produced" cars now being of aluminium rather than steel construction (Jaguar. Audi), will this mean that more NSX will live to see another day?

Definitely a combination of cost and skill. When a car is crashed the insurance company get a quote for the cost of the 'correct repair,' meaning the repair must be of the correct standard. For instance; hypothetically, if you crash an NSX and bend a chassis leg. Because it is aluminium, the leg should be replaced. If you damage a bumper the bumper should be replaced, if you can't get a satisfactory paint match, the car must be respray and so on and so on....
    If you have the time and inclination, i.e; you can shop around for panels, save on labour etc... Then a cheaper repair is very possible. However, we've seen some of these 'cheap repairs' in the past and people do cut corners. Again I have not seen the repair on this car, so I cannot comment.

Cheers.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

Quote Originally Posted by lotusolly View Post
    I don't think NSX's are getting written off because of a lack of skills to be able to repair them. I would say it's more related to the ridiculous prices Honda UK charge for parts.
    Spoke to the bodyshop repairing my car today and although their market is high end cars he was amazed at the cost of a door. His comment was " £4K, Thats more expensive than a Lambo, Ferrari, Bently or Aston!"
    Parts prices to match Japan or the States would save a lot of cars from being written off and help prevent badly repaired cars being put back on the road.

Olly
    That's it in a nutshell from my point of view, HUK prices are just ridiculous.

Jim
    1992 NSX, 3.0 Manual, (Was Sebring Silver) Now Kaiser Silver

2018 Jaguar XE, 2.0 R-Sport 250, Loire Blue.

2013 Kawazaki ER6F, Metalic Green.

Mine had £10k of 'cosmetic' damage repaired by Honda via the insurance company, the price of parts is ridiculous and Honda struggle to correctly align panels.

I had to fight to get Honda to do the work instead of a back street garage who wanted to panel beat a rear wing.
    ****1997 3.2 Orange / Black SOLD****

Previously driven by.........

Jeremy Clarkson, Tim Harvey, Richard Burns (RIP), Jason Plato, Harvey Postlethwaite (RIP), Manfred Wollgarten, Dirk Schoysman, Barrie Williams.

Nurburgring lap time 8:38 - Honda NSX (sport auto, 08/97)

That would be a good panel beater to avoid a panel full of filler!

Quote Originally Posted by simonprelude View Post
    Mine had £10k of 'cosmetic' damage repaired by Honda via the insurance company, the price of parts is ridiculous and Honda struggle to correctly align panels.

I had to fight to get Honda to do the work instead of a back street garage who wanted to panel beat a rear wing.
    Scott
    1994 Red/black roof NA1 Manual
    1993 Red/black roof NA1 Auto - SOLD
    2001 Imola Orange Pearl NA2 T manual - SOLD
    2019 Mercedes GLC - Daily Drive

Previous Toys
    Chesil Porsche Speedster
    GTD GT40 5.7 L Ford
    2008 CAV GT40 5.7 L Ford Audi 6 speed trans
    Ultima Sports 5.7 L SBC, G50 trans
    Superformance AC Cobra 427 SC
    Factory Demonstrator Ultima Sports 5.7 L SBC, G50 trans

Quote Originally Posted by lotusolly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Papalazarou View Post
    Definitely a combination of cost and skill. When a car is crashed the insurance company get a quote for the cost of the 'correct repair,' meaning the repair must be of the correct standard. For instance; hypothetically, if you crash an NSX and bend a chassis leg. Because it is aluminium, the leg should be replaced. If you damage a bumper the bumper should be replaced, if you can't get a satisfactory paint match, the car must be respray and so on and so on....
    If you have the time and inclination, i.e; you can shop around for panels, save on labour etc... Then a cheaper repair is very possible. However, we've seen some of these 'cheap repairs' in the past and people do cut corners. Again I have not seen the repair on this car, so I cannot comment.
    Honda UK are definitely culpable w.r.t parts prices but so are the insurance companies and repair centres. How often have you heard that the first words out of the bodyshop estimator are "is it an insurance job?" i.e. do you want it done to the absolute letter, and more, so that we can make a bundle out the insurance company. Of course we all pay for that in our premiums As we've said more aluminium constructed cars may lead to more and better skills in the automotive repair industry, which will help to lower the labour time and cost.

If HUK don't change their pricing policy most NSX's that suffer anything more than a parking scrap will be headed for the scrapyard. HUK are you listening... do you care???

Cheers

Mark
    The older I get, the faster I was

I have to say that, for all the supposed advantages of the extensive aluminium in our cars, I can't help feeling it's a curse.

And is the car really that much lighter?

I think you know the answer to that, and all of us on this forum know it too.

if they cared they would not continue to:
    - increase prices on parts on a regular basis and
    - put restrictions on the movement of parts from US etc (seen as a Honda HQ thing but I'm sure HUK had a hand in it)

we all like the brand, but they certainly don't spread the love to the people that help keep them in business based on recent posts and their recent product portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    If HUK don't change their pricing policy most NSX's that suffer anything more than a parking scrap will be headed for the scrapyard. HUK are you listening... do you care???
    "The value of life can be measured by how many times you soul has been deeply stirred" - Soichiro Honda

I don't even bother calling HUK for parts anymore. Their prices are just unbelievable! Recently bought some new manifold gaskets, US=$16each UK=£57each($86) Crazy!

Anyhow back on topic, this car look's really nice, i'm not really feeling the wheels though?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast