Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: aircon regas in Bristol area

I have the pipes to connect to the car. Basically I bought R12 gas a few years ago to top-up my old Porsche AC as it was no longer commercially available. I don't have the kit to vacuum empty etc. Just a means to top up an existing system....
    Quote Originally Posted by sorepaws View Post
    do you have the kit to re-gas the system as well ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boomerjake View Post
    Hi
    Does anyone know the Weight of gas which the 91 and 92 cars should have been charged up to?

Thanks
    By default, it’s 800 – 850g max but you really need to keep eye on the pressure not to over charge it and measure the humidity, air temperature, the low/high pressure and compare it against the chart because you may have other issues such as the expansion valve failure, etc.

If you are just retro fitting from R12 to 134a, then there was a simple equation (substruct small amount from the recovered R12 amount) but I forgot.

Kaz

I had mine done by Autokool Ltd Chesterfield, they sucked out the old R12 then a leak test ( 10mins in vacuum) and recharged with 0.850kg of R134a universal with added uv dye.
    I intend to have it regassed every year, fingers crossed that will be good enough.

www.autokool.co.uk

Martyn.

AirCon done today by Bee Cool ACS, between Northampton and Kettering - RS24 gas used to replace R12 - if anyone needs their number pm me.
    Mike

Well the Aircon recharge lasted 4 years - there was still some pressure in the system and 30 gms of R24 was retrieved. Once again I used BeeCool in Kettering as they are one of a few that can re-gas with R24 - very similar to the now banned R12. Why haven't I converted you may ask?
    Well for me its simple the old R24 gas is more efficient and less likely to cause the issues that R134 can have when using it in an old system (technical detail the R134 molecules are smaller and can leak out of the old system faster ). Of course there will come a time when R24 is all gone (no longer manufactured) but until then I will keep with this. the Cost was a little more than an R134 re-charge but not significant in the scheme of things.

The air temp measured coming out of the vents at 10C.

The guy at BeeCool, Dave is really good and my car is one of a few that he has serviced in the area.

Contact details if anyone needs them - BeeCool 01536 428243 and they have a mobile service.
    Mike

When they've withdrawn 30gms (gramms?) of R24, with how much was it filled with?

Trying a simple recalculation: if it was only 30 gramms left in the system after 4 years you endanger your A/C compressor and have a significant leak. It's true that R134a molecules are smaller and diffuse faster than bigger R12 ones but with the level of your leak I'd replace all O-rings with R134a ones or try to find the leak.

The full recharge was 825gm - the system was vacuum checked for 20 minutes to check for leaks before refilling, it would be illegal to refill unless this was done and passed the test. The cost of changing the parts to R134 to achieve the legal requirements would be about 10 times the cost of the recharge. R24 is acceptable for the process and unlike R12 it is legal to use.
    My aim with the post was to provide people with the early NSX a means by which they can keep the system going. It is also more efficient than R134 at cooling.
    The compressor should be ok as long as there is still pressure and oil in the system.
    Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12