Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Wheel Spacers

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Hagasan View Post
    It's a few years since I did mine but yes, get your hub on the bench/vice. You just need to tap out the shorter studs and do the same tapping in the longer ones. If I remember correctly there is a certain position of rotation where you have a clear path for removing/inserting the studs without them interfering/fouling the hub body....It's fairly straight-forward to do....good luck
    Cheers for the advice

It's a few years since I did mine but yes, get your hub on the bench/vice. You just need to tap out the shorter studs and do the same tapping in the longer ones. If I remember correctly there is a certain position of rotation where you have a clear path for removing/inserting the studs without them interfering/fouling the hub body....It's fairly straight-forward to do....good luck
    My rears are fitted by the MOT guys yesterday and they said they took a front hub off but the new studs are too long to put in unless you split the hub in half and that may effect the bearing? Any advice appreciated. Rears look much better though
    Scott
    1994 Red/black roof NA1 Manual
    1993 Red/black roof NA1 Auto - SOLD
    2001 Imola Orange Pearl NA2 T manual - SOLD
    2019 Mercedes GLC - Daily Drive

Previous Toys
    Chesil Porsche Speedster
    GTD GT40 5.7 L Ford
    2008 CAV GT40 5.7 L Ford Audi 6 speed trans
    Ultima Sports 5.7 L SBC, G50 trans
    Superformance AC Cobra 427 SC
    Factory Demonstrator Ultima Sports 5.7 L SBC, G50 trans

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by scottg View Post
    My rears are fitted by the MOT guys yesterday and they said they took a front hub off but the new studs are too long to put in unless you split the hub in half and that may effect the bearing? Any advice appreciated. Rears look much better though
    Lol I have done the same as well Scott! Done the rears they look good but one of the guys said the same about dismantling the front.....

Hi,

received mine on Monday.... a big thanks to Paul for setting this up.

Nuno

Quote Originally Posted by scottg View Post
    Hi Scott, I can assure you that there is no need to separate the hub body/bearing. If you get your guy to rotate the stud "flange" there will be a position where there is a slightly flatter hub body to flange alignment where you can insert the longer stud in. It will need to be tapped in gently at a very slight angle but it's not an issue where any misalignment or damage will occur. Just get you guy to take a closer look at it off the car...

Hi Scott, I can assure you that there is no need to separate the hub body/bearing. If you get your guy to rotate the stud "flange" there will be a position where there is a slightly flatter hub body to flange alignment where you can insert the longer stud in. It will need to be tapped in gently at a very slight angle but it's not an issue where any misalignment or damage will occur. Just get you guy to take a closer look at it off the car...

Thanks I think I'll have a go myself. I think the garage were just more concerned with damaging something. When the owner bought my car back he pointed out a small split on the leather bolster and said if that was me ill sort it out of r you. I reassure him it was there all along the the relief was evident. He's my neighbour and a good guy how many garages would have done that?
    Scott
    1994 Red/black roof NA1 Manual
    1993 Red/black roof NA1 Auto - SOLD
    2001 Imola Orange Pearl NA2 T manual - SOLD
    2019 Mercedes GLC - Daily Drive

Previous Toys
    Chesil Porsche Speedster
    GTD GT40 5.7 L Ford
    2008 CAV GT40 5.7 L Ford Audi 6 speed trans
    Ultima Sports 5.7 L SBC, G50 trans
    Superformance AC Cobra 427 SC
    Factory Demonstrator Ultima Sports 5.7 L SBC, G50 trans

I tried the fronts today and confirm that I could not insert the longer studs with the hub in place. The head of the stud is just slightly too big to get past the hub body.

I can see where it might have been possible but no amount of jigging and poking resulted in any difference.

A pity, but the hub will have to be separated.
    Daily driver: Jaguar iPace HSE
    2000 NSX Coupe, Circuit Blue, was W2NSX now V6NSX
    Renault Megane RS Trophy R
    Other interesting mode of transport: Bell JetRanger

Unless.......Gary, can you recall if the disc had to be removed? I'm wondering if removing it might just give that tiny bit more lateral flex to jiggle it out. It really is a 'gnat's ****' job.

Disc is on solid, will probably need an impact driver to remove. Any issues with doing this that anyone can envisage? They aren't my favourite tool but much better than a rounded screw head.
    Daily driver: Jaguar iPace HSE
    2000 NSX Coupe, Circuit Blue, was W2NSX now V6NSX
    Renault Megane RS Trophy R
    Other interesting mode of transport: Bell JetRanger

A small drop of penetrating oil overnight, impact driver and off they come ... no issues ... would be good to know if this can be completed on the car ... Thanx

Quick Q --- has everyone received their spacers that ordered?

regards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Yes the disc was removed. But I took the whole assembly off the car. I didn't expose any bearing though. I'd have to look at the parts diagrams to remind myself of all the components. I wasn't a difficult task though for anyone handy enough with some spanners. And yes, I did used and impact drivers to break the screw thread corrosion/locking on. Much better than a mashed head...
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingsniffer View Post
    Unless.......Gary, can you recall if the disc had to be removed? I'm wondering if removing it might just give that tiny bit more lateral flex to jiggle it out. It really is a 'gnat's ****' job.

Disc is on solid, will probably need an impact driver to remove. Any issues with doing this that anyone can envisage? They aren't my favourite tool but much better than a rounded screw head.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast