Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lower front ball joint replacement

Hi there. I have my lower knuckle ball joints coming up for replacement. I contacted Steve Ghent about prices and he offered a 10% group buy discount if we buy +12 ball joints (a complete swap on 3 cars). Anyone else interested?

Quote Originally Posted by harkes View Post
    Hi there. I have my lower knuckle ball joints coming up for replacement. I contacted Steve Ghent about prices and he offered a 10% group buy discount if we buy +12 ball joints (a complete swap on 3 cars). Anyone else interested?
    Another recent option - http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...ht=Ball+joints

Thanks for the reply. I decided to try out the Rare Parts ones from Amazon...
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXGB View Post

I can heartily recommend this method of sorting the worn lower ball joint...which came with the highest recommendation.
    Long overdue thanks for the info, and to Steve Ghent + Hamlin's Engineering (It was last year...MOT lapsed as I had to get this sorted first...so I missed the 25th Anniversary parade at Silverstone!!!
    Oh well...the 30th will come around soon enough)

Quote Originally Posted by Papalazarou View Post
    Just thought you guys might be interested in this....

I had my car MOT'd a couple of months back and the MOT tester found the nearside lower ball joint was getting a bit worn. The offside was much better, but because I'm a little OCD I decided to get them both replaced. Ignorant to the cost involved, I went to Honda and got a quote for two hub carriers of £1900! As many of you probably know, Honda don't replace ball joints. Only the expensive pieces of alloy they sit in.

Anyway, I'd remembered reading some stuff on Prime about replacement joints. So I spoke to this guy called Steve and he sorted me out with a pair.
    Normally they do an exchange, but there was no way I was sending two big lumps of hub carrier to the states and waiting a few weeks to get them back.
    Luckily, there is a fantastic machine shop close to me. I took them in last week and they turned the job around in a few days. They also sand blasted the parts, so they look brand new.

So. If anyone's wincing at the Honda price of £1900.00 + estimated £400.00 labour. I suggest you guys look at this option first.

The total cost was:

Ball joints = £250.00 approx.
    Customs charge = £38.00
    Press and fit = £74.00

Total = £362.00

NB: This doesn't include the labour involved in stripping the suspension down and reassembly. A rough estimate would be four hours all-in. At a good independent garage this would cost around £200.00+vat.
    It is however a straight forward DIY job.

Cheers,

James.

Details below;

Steve Ghent - NSX4track@aol.com = for the ball joints.

http://www.hamlinsengineering.co.uk/ = The machine shop that removed the old joint and pressed in the new one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123