Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lower front ball joint replacement

Default Lower front ball joint replacement

Just thought you guys might be interested in this....

I had my car MOT'd a couple of months back and the MOT tester found the nearside lower ball joint was getting a bit worn. The offside was much better, but because I'm a little OCD I decided to get them both replaced. Ignorant to the cost involved, I went to Honda and got a quote for two hub carriers of £1900! As many of you probably know, Honda don't replace ball joints. Only the expensive pieces of alloy they sit in.

Anyway, I'd remembered reading some stuff on Prime about replacement joints. So I spoke to this guy called Steve and he sorted me out with a pair.
    Normally they do an exchange, but there was no way I was sending two big lumps of hub carrier to the states and waiting a few weeks to get them back.
    Luckily, there is a fantastic machine shop close to me. I took them in last week and they turned the job around in a few days. They also sand blasted the parts, so they look brand new.

So. If anyone's wincing at the Honda price of £1900.00 + estimated £400.00 labour. I suggest you guys look at this option first.

The total cost was:

Ball joints = £250.00 approx.
    Customs charge = £38.00
    Press and fit = £74.00

Total = £362.00

NB: This doesn't include the labour involved in stripping the suspension down and reassembly. A rough estimate would be four hours all-in. At a good independent garage this would cost around £200.00+vat.
    It is however a straight forward DIY job.

Cheers,

James.

Details below;

Steve Ghent - NSX4track@aol.com = for the ball joints.

http://www.hamlinsengineering.co.uk/ = The machine shop that removed the old joint and pressed in the new one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	331 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	11716  
    Last edited by Papalazarou; 27-03-2013 at 08:04 PM.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

Wow, thats quite some saving Steve. Thank you for sharing this in advance of needing ball joints one day.
    Scott
    1994 Red/black roof NA1 Manual
    1993 Red/black roof NA1 Auto - SOLD
    2001 Imola Orange Pearl NA2 T manual - SOLD
    2019 Mercedes GLC - Daily Drive

Previous Toys
    Chesil Porsche Speedster
    GTD GT40 5.7 L Ford
    2008 CAV GT40 5.7 L Ford Audi 6 speed trans
    Ultima Sports 5.7 L SBC, G50 trans
    Superformance AC Cobra 427 SC
    Factory Demonstrator Ultima Sports 5.7 L SBC, G50 trans

Thank you James!

just to clarify, on receiving parts from US, was the press & fit the work done by local engineering firm?
    "The value of life can be measured by how many times you soul has been deeply stirred" - Soichiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by nobby View Post
    Thank you James!

just to clarify, on receiving parts from US, was the press & fit the work done by local engineering firm?

Hi Andrew,

Yes, the press and fit was done by the UK engineering firm. They turned it around in a few days. I notice the guy from the states who does the lower ball joints also makes all the other joints for the NSX.
    Just amended my original post as it was a bit vague;-)

Cheers.
    Last edited by Papalazarou; 27-03-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Very interesting indeed, I had this as an advisory on my last MoT so I guess they will be goosed for the next one. Good find James

Cheers
    Jim
    1992 NSX, 3.0 Manual, (Was Sebring Silver) Now Kaiser Silver

2018 Jaguar XE, 2.0 R-Sport 250, Loire Blue.

2013 Kawazaki ER6F, Metalic Green.

Great tip James - thanks!

If they could make a tool to press off caster adjusters, we'd be laughing...
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Hi James, I just had both fail my NCT (Irish equivalent of MOT). I emailed Steve last Thursday evening, (mid afternoon Stateside), but I have not heard back...?? was he reliable on email when you were dealing with him..??
    Ciaran

Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Hi James, I just had both fail my NCT (Irish equivalent of MOT). I emailed Steve last Thursday evening, (mid afternoon Stateside), but I have not heard back...?? was he reliable on email when you were dealing with him..??
    Hi Ciaran,

He was pretty quick getting back to me, but I have PM'd you alternative contact details which might help.

Cheers.

This is really good info, worth making it a sticky, as at some stage we all will probably need this service.

Thanks for posting it up James.
    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

後は、残っているものに関係なく、不可能なことを排除する方法 ありそうもない、真実でなければなりません。

Thanks guys.

Here's the price-list I was sent from Steve. It may not be totally up to date, but it gives a rough idea of pricing and available products.
    The ball joint fitted really well by the way. Regarding the guarantee below. I assume this is only valid when fitted by Steve.

Cheers.

NSX BALL JOINTS & MONO BALLS
    PRICE SHEET - ALL YEARS

The following parts exceed the quality OEM and are stronger; they have a 3 year limited warrantee for street use (Excludes track or Race usage) and must be installed by us.

Front
    1. Front upper control arm ball joint installed $235.00 ea
    2. Front lower control arm ball joint installed $235.00 ea​
    3. Front knuckle ball joints installed (qty 2) $205.00 ea
    4. Front knuckle ball joints (not installed) $170.00 ea

Rear
    4. Rear upper control arm ball joint installed $285.00 ea
    5. Rear upper control arm mono balls installed $225.00 ea
    6. Rear knuckle ball joint installed $205.00 ea
    7. Rear knuckle ball joint (not installed) $170.00 ea
    8. Rear camber bushing (+4 to -4 deg adjustable) $60.00 ea