Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Other cars that tempted you when looking for an NSX

Quote Originally Posted by flyingsniffer View Post
    Funny (to me) that some here rate the DB9. To me, that's a bloated car that delivers in few departments other than a nice badge. The Vantage looks a closer match to the NSX ideal: strict 2 seater, engaging lines, more balanced drive.

Mind you, I had a Vantage Roadster for a while, so I'm probably biased. The other car I had that was maybe similar to the NSX in some ways was a Mazda RX7. Mind you, the fuel consumption was a killer.

The RX7 is a good shout, owned one when I was younger and it was incredible compairde to other cars such as a VW Scirocco at the time. I know that owners of the RX8 nowadays soon get scared off by the fuel consumption particularily when cold I've heard of single digits in the winter.
    Scott
    1994 Red/black roof NA1 Manual
    1993 Red/black roof NA1 Auto - SOLD
    2001 Imola Orange Pearl NA2 T manual - SOLD
    2019 Mercedes GLC - Daily Drive

Previous Toys
    Chesil Porsche Speedster
    GTD GT40 5.7 L Ford
    2008 CAV GT40 5.7 L Ford Audi 6 speed trans
    Ultima Sports 5.7 L SBC, G50 trans
    Superformance AC Cobra 427 SC
    Factory Demonstrator Ultima Sports 5.7 L SBC, G50 trans

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by paulc View Post
    Had a strong look at a Noble, still fancy one but not to replace my NSX. If I had the garage space and some spare cash I think I would have both.
    Definitely agree here.....was looking at buying a yellow M12 noble prior to the NSX but it was a little too much money at the time........no regrets now...but if I garage space I would definitely buy one

Quote Originally Posted by nobby View Post
    i just have a love for Aston Martin ... i'd take a vantage, db9 etc all day long IF i could afford/live with it

i think their cars are simply stunning to look at ... hope to own one someday ... head is ruling over heart at this time
    Get a ford fusion, looks exactly the same, but cheaper to service.
    我々の祈り、日本に届きますように。

I drove one to see what all the hype was about a many years ago. That's usually a very bad mistake with iconic Hondas....

I kind of went through several circular arguments, initially with thoughts of a direct replacement for the S2000. The timing just wasn't right, with the first one I drove.

Then later on, it was sort of a choice between a 996/97 (I'm an accountant, but not THAT boooorrring) a Tuscan S (Russian roulette, after a Honda) or an NSX-T. The NSX-T sort of won, but the deal exploded rather spectacularly with the end of the economic cycle.

Kind of salutary lesson, because it made me realise I actually preferred the earlier coupe version to drive and that I should keep the S2000 as it's also simply irreplaceable.

This kind of kept happening & I test-drove an Evora & kept comparing it to the NSX as the benchmark. Some bright spark posted something to the effect of "Oh, FFS, why don't you just buy an NSX?" and so I did.
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Interesting replies, and quite a wide range of alternatives. I suppose I'm drawn to less-popular cars - rather like the Rowan Atkinson quote. (I even have a soft spot for the RR Camargue and Panther Deville!)

Maybe that's why the Porsche/Ferrari thing doesn't work for me (whereas oddities like the Lamborghini Silhouette and De Tomaso Pantera do).

Do sometimes wonder about going back to a well-sorted and unabused GT-R R33...

Quote Originally Posted by goldtop View Post
    Interesting replies, and quite a wide range of alternatives. I suppose I'm drawn to less-popular cars - rather like the Rowan Atkinson quote. (I even have a soft spot for the RR Camargue and Panther Deville!)

Maybe that's why the Porsche/Ferrari thing doesn't work for me (whereas oddities like the Lamborghini Silhouette and De Tomaso Pantera do).

Keep the faith Goldtop it will be worth the wait
    Scott

Previous Toys
    Chesil Porsche Speedster
    GTD GT40 5.7 L Ford

Quote Originally Posted by goldtop View Post

IKWYM; Bristols, Borgwards; There is a lot of weird s hit out there that I rather admire...
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Quote Originally Posted by scottg View Post
    The RX7 is a good shout, owned one when I was younger and it was incredible compairde to other cars such as a VW Scirocco at the time. I know that owners of the RX8 nowadays soon get scared off by the fuel consumption particularily when cold I've heard of single digits in the winter.
    Which series rx7 did you own mate?
    I own an rx8, but love the rx7 fb and rx7 fd.

Fuel consumption in a rotary is not great, a 1.3L engine, but classified on tax books as 2.6 but drinks it like a 4.0L lol
    But my rx8 is not bad, combined city/open road driving i get 24-27mpg. They need to be revved to be kept right, some rx8 owners baby them and it ruins the engine, plus they need the oil as they're designed to use it to lubricate the apex seals on the rotors to maintain compression etc.

However some cheap example rx8's out there as due to the cost of fuel people cannot afford to run them etc, so good time to pick one up that's been looked after for a few grand.

Aston Martins are beautiful, I had thought of a vantage, but prefer the lines of the db9, they are starting to come down to around £40000 and less so it's a case of waiting a bit more lol.

DB9s must be one of the most beautiful cars out there and look like great value.

The only issues are maintenance & reliability?
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

Quote Originally Posted by soddy View Post
    Which series rx7 did you own mate?
    I own an rx8, but love the rx7 fb and rx7 fd.

Fuel consumption in a rotary is not great, a 1.3L engine, but classified on tax books as 2.6 but drinks it like a 4.0L lol
    But my rx8 is not bad, combined city/open road driving i get 24-27mpg. They need to be revved to be kept right, some rx8 owners baby them and it ruins the engine, plus they need the oil as they're designed to use it to lubricate the apex seals on the rotors to maintain compression etc.

However some cheap example rx8's out there as due to the cost of fuel people cannot afford to run them etc, so good time to pick one up that's been looked after for a few grand.

Aston Martins are beautiful, I had thought of a vantage, but prefer the lines of the db9, they are starting to come down to around £40000 and less so it's a case of waiting a bit more lol.
    I had a series 1 1979 RX7 with about 20,000 miles and one owner from new. It was a superb car but the cost of maintenance scared me at the time so I didn't keep it.
    A friend of mine recently bought a DB9 convertible for less than £34,000 with 60k miles, amazing value if you have the stomach for the servicing costs.
    Scott

Previous Toys
    Chesil Porsche Speedster
    GTD GT40 5.7 L Ford