Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Other cars that tempted you when looking for an NSX

Default Other cars that tempted you when looking for an NSX

As I while away the hours/days/weeks/(months?) waiting for an NSX to buy, I thought I'd mention some of the other indulgences that are tempting me.

#1: Strato's (replica)
    http://www.targafloriocars.com/details.asp?StockID=5699
    Similar power to NSX with the Alfa V6, but much lighter, no creature comforts, no driver aids (just a stiff roll cage!)

#2: W201 Evo II
    http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C317377
    More practical, less quick, but just as focussed. Not a car to drive if you hate attention. Evo I is more in-budget and looks less Max Power.

#3: The AMG Hammer
    http://www.avantgardecars.co.uk/view.../251/HAM?emb=0
    Very rare in RHD, and blows my budget. Chalk and cheese compared to the NSX, but I've always loved the big '80s Benzes. Perhaps best in a straight line.

Apart from the Strato's, none are comparable to the NSX. But some how I'm immune to the appeal of Porsche, Ferrari, Noble, etc.

Wondering what other cars you guys considered before choosing the NSX?

only cars i would consider over an NSX is either an AM DB7 or DB9 ... only concern was reliability and could not really afford a db9 when i bought the NSX ... beautiful cars ... i do hope to own an AM at some point.

tbh i really dont like any of your shortlist ... big merc's do nothing for me and you could not use the 1st one in any nice way albeit would be nice to own but pointless

save your cash based on that lot
    "The value of life can be measured by how many times you soul has been deeply stirred" - Soichiro Honda

I used to see someone commute along the A14 in a Strato's replica! Must have been mad.

The W201 Evo I is not at all big. The original Baby Benz was 4.4m, same as the NSX, and actually weighs less (4 doors, steel and all!). Rated as one of the best RWD chassis ever. I've had two regular 16V 190s and they are fantastic cars (except for the onset of rust). The super-rare Evos are LHD only (I could wait for the Euro to collapse and then go and buy one in Germany...)

Interesting on the AMs - they're also not directly comparable to the NSX. I have a thing for the '70s-'80s Vantage, but more modern AMs don't float my boat somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by goldtop View Post
    Wondering what other cars you guys considered before choosing the NSX?
    I do think the Stratos would be fun ...

Lotus was a prior ownership for me ... 135R ... too much fun for the road really and would like to try the later Evora but way to much for a Lotus

s2k was a great car too ..

I'm with you on the F-cars and Porsche ...

Keep the faith, the right NSX will come along ... took me best part of 8 months to find mine ... that was almost 6 yrs ago ...
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

I would agree with Andrew, an Aston Martin DB 9, hopefully one day for me as they are beautiful.
    Would love a mazda cosmo 3 rotor, not the best looking of cars but a 3 rotor rotary engine : ) quite rare now.

Looked for a 348tb previous to the NSX, rust and saggy leather aside not as bad as some would have you believe.
    我々の祈り、日本に届きますように。

Had a strong look at a Noble, still fancy one but not to replace my NSX. If I had the garage space and some spare cash I think I would have both.

Had several Kit cars and they can be great fun but there is always that little doubt in your head over how well they have been built. Best Iv'e owned was a factory built Ultima which gave more confidence and a CAV GT40 but that had ongoing problems despite being built by the local importer and they didn't give the back up service you would expect.
    Scott
    1994 Red/black roof NA1 Manual
    1993 Red/black roof NA1 Auto - SOLD
    2001 Imola Orange Pearl NA2 T manual - SOLD
    2019 Mercedes GLC - Daily Drive

Previous Toys
    Chesil Porsche Speedster
    GTD GT40 5.7 L Ford
    2008 CAV GT40 5.7 L Ford Audi 6 speed trans
    Ultima Sports 5.7 L SBC, G50 trans
    Superformance AC Cobra 427 SC
    Factory Demonstrator Ultima Sports 5.7 L SBC, G50 trans

Funny (to me) that some here rate the DB9. To me, that's a bloated car that delivers in few departments other than a nice badge. The Vantage looks a closer match to the NSX ideal: strict 2 seater, engaging lines, more balanced drive.

Mind you, I had a Vantage Roadster for a while, so I'm probably biased. The other car I had that was maybe similar to the NSX in some ways was a Mazda RX7. Mind you, the fuel consumption was a killer.
    Daily driver: Jaguar iPace HSE
    2000 NSX Coupe, Circuit Blue, was W2NSX now V6NSX
    Renault Megane RS Trophy R
    Other interesting mode of transport: Bell JetRanger

i just have a love for Aston Martin ... i'd take a vantage, db9 etc all day long IF i could afford/live with it

i think their cars are simply stunning to look at ... hope to own one someday ... head is ruling over heart at this time
    "The value of life can be measured by how many times you soul has been deeply stirred" - Soichiro Honda

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast