Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Silverstone Classic 2013 - 26-28 July 2013

Monday is the last time it will be shown with a possible exception at Christmas. It has 8 days left on itv player, I forgot to watch it in August so 45 mins is reserved over the weekend to watch it.
    Thanks fo the reminder

cheers Rich

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    i have yet to work out why japfest is more popular that SSC.. unless the NSX demographic is firmly set in the 'backwards baseball cap, seat laid back gangsta styleee'.

japfest, apart from the appalling, incurable traffic queues which may appeal to some, is firmly aimed at the adolescent, max-power, 'drifting is good', sticker buying audience. a day of 'entertainment' that gets boring very quickly. watching someone else doing a track-day has never been that interesting! that is of course unless you LOVE blue subaru imprezzas with '555' branding! 'dog burger' anyone?

silverstone classic however is a whole different affair. there is 3 days of quality racing, and don't for a minute think that they take it easy in their £500k+ classic race cars. they don't, they properly race, as the cars should be used! add to that a load of traders, decent choice of food outlets, and 2 free evening concerts the VFM rating keeps getting better. then there's the clubs, everything from classic Pipers, morgans, jaguars to astons, ferrari, lambos, and of course NSX! there was even a MX5 club with far too many cars! definite lack of hairdressers working that weekend! just to add to the mix, my drag racing friends at Taz racing give a demo of proper power at the streetcar shootout! 500HP fiat 126 anyone???

out of the 2 SSC is really the must do event!

just saying.....

I read yours and Paul's posts the other week, but it's taken a while to reply. First of all; however it's meant, it comes over a little disrespectful to belittle events that other members spend time organising. Especially when all you have to do is turn up. However, I take the point about the traffic. Japfest has got too large for the venue and even the traffic calming measure this year weren't all that effective.
    However, it's an event which enables club members to convoy down, meet up and talk about cars. On a few Japfest's I've hardly left the stand, despite there being a lot going on.
    Certainly horses for courses, but IMO the charm of JF is the lack of ego attached the event. At any age with any budget you can join a club and be part of a big event.
    Silverstone on the other hand, I find a little pretentious. The last time I went I got the distinct impression we were at best tolerated.
    Jon' the stuff that you are so anxious to see is the very much a spectacle. It's worth making the journey for, but it's not accessible to the masses in the same way as an event like JF.
    As for the trade stands. I'm not sure whether Silverstone has improved, but last time I went they were pretty poor. And the club stands?
    What I am trying to say is this; at a simple level, all NSXCB events are great, because they allow us to meet up and talk about cars, life etc. The content is personal taste. There are good and bad things about every event. With this in mind, can we lay off the critique. Because if we don't, you SE boys will get your wish and they'll be one event and it will be Silverstone and the 'club' will be poorer for it.

Cheers,

James.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

Quote Originally Posted by Papalazarou View Post
    Certainly horses for courses, but IMO the charm of JF is the lack of ego attached the event. At any age with any budget you can join a club and be part of a big event.

Silverstone on the other hand, I find a little pretentious. The last time I went I got the distinct impression we were at best tolerated.
    Jon' the stuff that you are so anxious to see is the very much a spectacle. It's worth making the journey for, but it's not accessible to the masses in the same way as an event like JF.
    As for the trade stands. I'm not sure whether Silverstone has improved, but last time I went they were pretty poor. And the club stands?
    I think you're wrong about the SSC - comparing it to the Goodwood FoS it's refreshingly LACKING in pretention. Yes the BRDC have their stand and private car park, but it's the home of British motorsport and they pay their dues. SSC ask all the clubs into the infield, whether MX5, MG or Maserati...Goodwood FoS want to charge you to park your supercar on display and want to vet the suitability of your car first! And there you really do get the monied 'look at me' set, and the F1 hangers-on.

At the SSC I've got chatting to owners of all sorts of cars, and most are happy to chat, whether competition machines or car-club - spent 15mins with a Diablo SV owner this year, including sitting in his car admiring the sheer lack of practicality! Was on quite good terms with the #2 driver of the old white/green Group-C Jaguar for a couple of years, after nothing more than a few chats at my first SSC. That said, I'll grant you there's a lot more 'money' at the SSC, just by the nature of owning/running classic racing cars. And there are a few 'monied' people who act-up, though more often those owning a car with a donkey or a cow on the front than those running a D-Type/Sauber/Mclaren...

I agree JAE/Japfest are more accessible to the 'chap in the street'...IF said chap is into modding/tuning Japanese cars. I'm not - my S2000 and both ITRs were virtually standard, my NSX is mechanically standard and the cosmetic stuff was added by a previous owner. The times I've been to either event I've actually got bored with the repetitive "look at my shiny engine bay with a huge turbo and dozens of pipes everywhere, all colour-coded" at each club stand, and the repetitive trade stands, all offering tuning/cleaning kit - the *** scene in that regard is very 1-dimensional - it's all about modding - "yes, we are all individual!". And attempts to engage such owners in conversation usually descend into bragging-rights of 1/4 mile times or rolling-road results. Or worse, which wax lasts longest!

So it depends what you like. I like variety...I've had a series of Hondas but have a real appreciation for a whole range of 'modern classics' as well as the older, prettier stuff. And while I've massive respect for stuff like the 22B, TME and V-Spec IIs, and would happily pore over one for a while, my experience of Japfest is that such machines are almost drowned out by the acres of Type-UKs, VIII MR FQ-xxx's and cooking Celicas. At the SSC you genuinely don't know where to look first - the mint E30 Cecotto, the Boxster Spyder, the gorgeous short-nose D-Type, Tim Harvey's old R500, wow that is an Enzo...next to another one...next to a 250 SWB!!!

Anyway, essay over. I guess we're coming from different viewpoints...I've done the ***-scene and got bored of it - the sameness and the egos. And I know I'll never be able to afford to 'take part' in the competition side of the SSC (let alone the lack of driving ability), but just soaking the atmosphere, sounds and smells up is good enough...it genuinely IS the best m'sport event in the country, so forgive us for being a little evangelical...and please try it before you condemn it.
    "No man with a good car needs to be justified"

Blue '08 FD2 CTR - big, ITR-sized shoes to fill...
    Yellow '96 NSX 3.0 - oh was it worth the wait!
    Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...
    Blue '03 S2000 - SOLD, flawed but fun
    Blue '04 Focus TDCi Sport - SOLD, very good fun for a diesel!
    Black '00 ITR - SOLD, still missed
    Red '98 Civic VTi - SOLD, probably still bombproof

Quote Originally Posted by havoc View Post
    I think you're wrong about the SSC - comparing it to the Goodwood FoS it's refreshingly LACKING in pretention. Yes the BRDC have their stand and private car park, but it's the home of British motorsport and they pay their dues. SSC ask all the clubs into the infield, whether MX5, MG or Maserati...Goodwood FoS want to charge you to park your supercar on display and want to vet the suitability of your car first! And there you really do get the monied 'look at me' set, and the F1 hangers-on.

At the SSC I've got chatting to owners of all sorts of cars, and most are happy to chat, whether competition machines or car-club - spent 15mins with a Diablo SV owner this year, including sitting in his car admiring the sheer lack of practicality! Was on quite good terms with the #2 driver of the old white/green Group-C Jaguar for a couple of years, after nothing more than a few chats at my first SSC. That said, I'll grant you there's a lot more 'money' at the SSC, just by the nature of owning/running classic racing cars. And there are a few 'monied' people who act-up, though more often those owning a car with a donkey or a cow on the front than those running a D-Type/Sauber/Mclaren...

I agree JAE/Japfest are more accessible to the 'chap in the street'...IF said chap is into modding/tuning Japanese cars. I'm not - my S2000 and both ITRs were virtually standard, my NSX is mechanically standard and the cosmetic stuff was added by a previous owner. The times I've been to either event I've actually got bored with the repetitive "look at my shiny engine bay with a huge turbo and dozens of pipes everywhere, all colour-coded" at each club stand, and the repetitive trade stands, all offering tuning/cleaning kit - the *** scene in that regard is very 1-dimensional - it's all about modding - "yes, we are all individual!". And attempts to engage such owners in conversation usually descend into bragging-rights of 1/4 mile times or rolling-road results. Or worse, which wax lasts longest!

So it depends what you like. I like variety...I've had a series of Hondas but have a real appreciation for a whole range of 'modern classics' as well as the older, prettier stuff. And while I've massive respect for stuff like the 22B, TME and V-Spec IIs, and would happily pore over one for a while, my experience of Japfest is that such machines are almost drowned out by the acres of Type-UKs, VIII MR FQ-xxx's and cooking Celicas. At the SSC you genuinely don't know where to look first - the mint E30 Cecotto, the Boxster Spyder, the gorgeous short-nose D-Type, Tim Harvey's old R500, wow that is an Enzo...next to another one...next to a 250 SWB!!!

Anyway, essay over. I guess we're coming from different viewpoints...I've done the ***-scene and got bored of it - the sameness and the egos. And I know I'll never be able to afford to 'take part' in the competition side of the SSC (let alone the lack of driving ability), but just soaking the atmosphere, sounds and smells up is good enough...it genuinely IS the best m'sport event in the country, so forgive us for being a little evangelical...and please try it before you condemn it.

Martin, I know we don't always agree, but I think what you've said makes a lot of sense.
    Because I only go to a few events a year; Japfest, Thornfalcon and this year Classics at the castle. I never really get bored of any format. When I go to JF, I generally get my buzz from the convoy, the car chat, watching a bit of track action and talking to interested party's about the NSX. Much of the modding and the heavily riced up trade stands pass me by. However, there is a lot of clever stuff on display. The tiny gap between tasteful and vulgar is incredibly small. Aesthetically, I find this both funny and interesting.

My gripe has never really been with the format. Although I feel that every type of event has it's pros and cons. But rather with the lack of perspective on this site. Japfest, Silverstone, JAE, The Sherborne Classic, Mugen tour and dinner. What does it matter what the event is, as long as we get together as a club a few times a year?

Cheers,

James.

Quote Originally Posted by Papalazarou View Post
    What does it matter what the event is, as long as we get together as a club a few times a year?
    :yes:

I'll drink to that. Hopefully before Xmas!

Black '99 ITR - well, I had to have another one, the first was so much fun. Miss this one even more than #1...

i don't know... I make a comment on Japfest compared to SSC in response to Mike's 'why don't more go to SSC' question and I'm suddenly not allowed an opinion! I didn't say i wasn't going to Japfest, in fact I'm definitely going next year! This year I've done japfest. Supercar Sunday at goodwood. Supercar siege, SSC ,FOS supercar parking, A couple of local shows and the mini meets! Add to that shows in the hotrod and others in the cube it's been a busy year
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    i don't know... I make a comment on Japfest compared to SSC in response to Mike's 'why don't more go to SSC' question and I'm suddenly not allowed an opinion! I didn't say i wasn't going to Japfest, in fact I'm definitely going next year! This year I've done japfest. Supercar Sunday at goodwood. Supercar siege, SSC ,FOS supercar parking, A couple of local shows and the mini meets! Add to that shows in the hotrod and others in the cube it's been a busy year
    Great, you can organise next years stand;-)

Cheers,

James.

:yes:

I'll drink to that. Hopefully before Xmas!
    They have the right idea in the US................God bless America!!!
    http://www.hotimportnights.com/2013/...er-phoenix-az/
    Geoff

S21 NSX red 1998 NSX T NA2 3.2 manual with pop ups
    black 2010 Renaultsport RS250
    black 2007 Honda Civic Type R gt......gone but sadly missed
    black 2006 Lexus RX400h

Good god...that looks like the worst combination of JAE and a MaxPower event possible...

Good god...that looks like the worst combination of JAE and a MaxPower event possible...
    Pheonix isn't all that bad!
    Geoff

S21 NSX red 1998 NSX T NA2 3.2 manual with pop ups
    black 2010 Renaultsport RS250
    black 2007 Honda Civic Type R gt......gone but sadly missed
    black 2006 Lexus RX400h

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112