Thread: How much brake fluid do I need for a routine change?

Default How much brake fluid do I need for a routine change?

Hi all,

I have looked in the usual places (here and prime) and cannot find a clear answer to what volume of brake fluid I need for a routine change on the NSX.

Could anyone advise please?

Thanks,

Ian
    2001 3.2 Circuit Blue Coupe with pop-ups!

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

Blog Entries

Hi, Ian.

I presume you just want to run the fresh brake fluid to push out the old one and also haven’t emptied the brake master cyl.

Based on your signature section, I presume your NSX is equipped with the upgraded latest ABS that uses the brake fluid directly from the brake master cyl reservoir and not like the separated reservoir on the classic ABS.

If above assumption is correct and presuming that you haven’t cooked your brake to cause spongy pedal feeling, then standard 500cc bottle would be just about enough if you have done this procedure several times before and if you start from the FRONT side.
    However, you may want to get 1L one to be on the safe side.

With the latest ABS design, if you follow the old text book method of start bleeding from the furthest point from the master cyl (ie., rear left on RHD model), then you will waste your time and fluid.

For the classic ABS that has its own brake fluid reservoir and doesn’t share the fluid at the main brake system, you follow the old text book method.

Kaz

Hi Kaz,

Many thanks for the help and advice.

Your assumption that my car is running the latest ABS system is correct.

I am going the replace the brake fluid like-with-like, and the ATE Super Blue Racing Fluid in the system at the moment appears to only be available in 1L bottles, so 1L it is!

"If you want to argue that The Best Car in the World is a supercar, go ahead. But there is only one that makes the grade. Only one that's built properly.
    Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)

jhonknes Guest

I am in search for the best place to buy them. I require them and the details posted in the site regarding these are very interesting. Could you please produce some attachments regarding the best places where the quality is good and also about the price details?

I wouldn't like to promise that this is the best place to source ATE Super Blue Racing Fluid (or that this is the most appropriate fluid to use in the NSX - it was already in my cars system when I acquired it and as I had no problems with it, it seemed sensible to continue using it) but I bought mine from here without any problems:

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod66...010;29296;1492

Gordon Murray knows.
    Rowan Atkinson knows.
    It's the Honda NSX."
    (J. Clarkson)