Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Britludes NSX story

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    Aug 09… the double din dash mod! Now it’s always been a source of irritation that, although there’s a CD changer in the boot, there’s a cassette player in the dash.

Now I know mine is a early car, so it is forgivable, but to still have it fitted on later ones is just odd! What that means is there’s no factory ‘steal it out of a later car upgrade’ option, so more radical solutions are needed!

My basic requirements were no motorised screen (not sure why, just didn’t want one!) a cd player, and GPS! I had a 7” screen thing in the hotrod, and wanted the GPS as the radio/CD screens are sooo boring!

Anyway, I found a unit that fitted the bill and chopped things up until they all fitted! (ok maybe a little more careful than just attacking it with a chainsaw!)

Anyway the upshot is NOOOO cassette ! hurrah! Ironically, as the unit has a SD card slot, I’ve not even used the CD player part!!!

Here’s the full lowdown! http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...nit&highlight=

...see told you i'd jazz it up a bit
    Very nice...who did all the cutting of the centre console. Was this the original or did you buy another one to chop up?
    Geoff

S21 NSX red 1998 NSX T NA2 3.2 manual with pop ups
    black 2010 Renaultsport RS250
    black 2007 Honda Civic Type R gt......gone but sadly missed
    black 2006 Lexus RX400h

i did all the chopping up, and on the original console... it was already broken when i got the car, just above the ashtray one side, by some hamfisted muppet in its earlier years!

.... finding another rhd centre console proves quite difficult, and/or expensive!

the second pic shows the bottom half fitted without the head unit and ACC surrounds on.
    Last edited by britlude; 24-06-2012 at 05:42 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

More playing….

Inspired by the hugabuga thread on prime (prime can be a dangerous place at times) I made my own window regulator wheel mod, certainly makes a difference, as proven by the popularity of hugabuga’s kits, and his international tours fitting them!!!! see the prime thread here fpr the original idea... http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...277&highlight=

Feb11.. just to be annoying, my dash cracked! Typically a hot climate fault, it was surprising to happen in february! Oh well, a quick patch sorted it out for the time being….
    z22022011020640x480 by jon sutherland, on Flickr
    more details of both of these tweaks…. http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...lt!&highlight=

107060miles… Fitted a K&N air filter, because I could….

March 11… cleaned greased aerial! As I made an aerodynamic tweak to my aerial, I like to keep it greased, just to stop any water getting places it shouldn’t!
    I always felt the original sticking up spoiled the lines of the wing, and not taken by the shark-fin type things, so made a new ferrule and sunk it down flush… mine also benefits from the JDM half-height option, so doesn't look quite so much like a bumper car!

z2012-06-23-860800x600 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

(i actually made 2 ferrules, the first beautifully carved in aluminium, which beautifully earthed the aerial and beautifully killed the received signal!!! ... oops, should have thought of that earlier!)
    Last edited by britlude; 19-07-2017 at 04:22 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

May 11…as my spare wheel was the best part of 20 years old, and looking quite cracked and unpleasant I decided to do something about it. So I set about getting my spare tyre replaced. Various methods had been suggested, but after managing to source a tyre, this was fitted (even though it’s not supposed to be possible!!!)
    Before
    z11052011529800x600 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

after…

z18052011604800x600 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

here’s the writeup….http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...yre&highlight=
    Last edited by britlude; 19-07-2017 at 04:22 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

speedo died, so new speed sensor was fitted… fortunately I’d bought one in readiness as the speedo had died briefly once before.

All I can say is what a pain of a job! This is one of those things that’s fitted to the engine/gearbox/suspension assembly, then fitted into the car.. as getting to it with everything bolted in is a Mare of a job! Headers don’t help either! Needless to say it can be done in situ, just expect to waste a couple of hours getting 2 M6 bolts out, and another couple of hours to put them back in!

the offending article looks like this....

can you see it here??? the speed sensor is at the back of the engine, on the gearbox under the rear vtec solenoid (green connector)z12052011533800x600 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

in this pic the bright screw in the middle of the pic is part of the unit that was replaced, but not the mounting bolts, these were deeper still! (in this pic imagine the units arrow shape to be pointing down!)
    z12052011534800x600 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

just to add the the mix, the speed sensor has a shield around it making the bolts only really accessable from the top. when i reassembled it, i slotted the mounting holes in the shield so that i could at least start the bolts from under the car, fit/slide the shield into place, and tighten up from the top. not an easy job, you have been warned!!!

PS the engine is cleaner now!!!
    Last edited by britlude; 19-07-2017 at 09:15 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

thought i'd better write the next installment, at least it's something interesting this time!!!

As a treat to myself, and as the original seat covers were looking dated and feeling tired, I replaced leather seat covers/door trims!!! I managed to do this the week AFTER the NSX coffee-table book photoshoot! So missed out on them being immortalised with the rest of the car! Bum!

I got the covers from Leatherseats.com, made in my colours using their patterns. Apparently they stripped a set of OEM seat covers to get their patterns so they pretty much fit out of the box, just one tweak to the upper centre cushion on mine! Anyway, here’s how they looked for those that can’t remember!

Before and after
    nsxseat27042011201800x600 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

door inserts to match….
    nsxseat26042011184800x600 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

all installed
    nsxseat27042011214800x600 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

it must have turned out ok as leatherseats are using my covers in their ‘look at what we do’ video, and my pics as an install example!!! They did give me a discount after I did a forum writeup… J

heres the nsxcb threadhttp://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?8994-The-interior-trim-overhaul-update-continues%85&highlight=

and the nsxprime thread (pretty much the same thing, just with a red surround! http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...022&highlight=

PS... the crease in the top panel of the green was from the leather being folded coming from italy to america... i could have steamed it out, but the natural heat in the car has flattened it out, so all good
    Last edited by britlude; 19-07-2017 at 09:17 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

boring one.....

while the door panels were off, I did the door panel tab repairs as some were broken,

nsxseat26042011176800x600 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

see here for the lowdown! http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...nel&highlight=

Aug 11 new boot seal, (ebay find!), well would have been rude not to for £30, and as it was the only seal not changed on the boot…

Nov 11 oil change 110035…. Yawn again!

......see told you!!!
    Last edited by britlude; 19-07-2017 at 09:18 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

bit more fun......

Dec 11.. SOOO fed up with wet condensation screen, YES it was still doing it after the aircon was used, I bit the bullet and changed evaporator…

when you compare how much of the evaporator you can see here in Kaz’s photo ,

with how big it actually is,
    z241220111939640x480 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

then you realise if its heavily soiled AND damp, it’s never going to get clean!!! Anyway a Christmas eve well spent!!

it got a little involved...
    z241220111938640x480 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

the old and the replacement
    z241220111940640x480 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

the full lowdown is here....
    http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?9681-my-aircon-evaporator-overhaul&highlight=

I am glad to say there has been NO condensation since! None! Nowt! Zip! Zilch! Hurrah!!!!!

29 dec.... to go with the new evaporator, the air con had to be regassed, so a new aircon dryer was fitted (fortunatley the aircon guy had one on stock (fortunate as 91/92 are different to all the others!), and the aircon system refilled/upgraded to R134, with the appropriate new R134 compatible oil
    Last edited by britlude; 19-07-2017 at 09:20 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

And so begins what has become an epic year for my NSX, some planned, others unfortunately not…..

jan 2012 new handbake cover off ebay, as the rest of the interior leathers had been refreshed/updated/renewed the last bit left was the handbrake cover which was looking decidedly tired. So a replacement was sourced off ebay, and fitted, looks far better, but I might tweak and tighten it a little when I get a spare 20mins!

The before and after
    311220111965 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

new front tyres, as you do

regreased p/s idler pulley as it was sounding very dry all of a sudden. Whilst it was off, I noted the number so I could order up a replacement bearing. No point replacing the entire pulley assembly when it’s an £8 bearing! (this was changed when I fitted the cambelt, but I’ll put it here!!

Before
    z2012-04-05-152800x600 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

the bearing
    z2012-04-05-153800x600 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

and with a bit of a cleanup
    z2012-04-05-154800x600 by jon sutherland, on Flickr
    Last edited by britlude; 19-07-2017 at 09:24 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

3 feb 12... clean/service ignition switch as the engine starter motor wasn’t quite as ‘instant’ as it should have been... If its happened to you, you know what I mean! So the various bits of dash removed and the ignition electronics block removed, stripped, cleaned, and everything reassembled.
    I always see it as a challenge when there are ‘no user serviceable parts inside’!

I forgot to take pics, but they would have been much the same as Kaz has posted on his blog on this subject!

new battery as although it was only a couple of years old, it was getting a bit low sometimes, so a replacement sourced just as a precaution!

Then there was the ‘simple green’ controversy..

after doing some research and prompted by NSXPrime threads, I got hold of some of the simple green precision (specially formulated for aluminium) cleaner and tried it… judge for yourself…
    Before..
    WP_20160503_19_46_26_Pro by jon sutherland, on Flickr

After..
    WP_20160503_19_55_03_Pro by jon sutherland, on Flickr

I think it works! to do it properly would require a complete strip-down, but i think it's a vast improvement for surprisingly little effort!

Anyway, here’s the thread…. http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...ner&highlight=
    Last edited by britlude; 19-07-2017 at 09:25 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast