Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: Britludes NSX story

Always interesting to see what else you’ve found to address ... and how you have all the toys to complete ... with ref to powder coating of brackets, I did all th front bay one some years ago returning them to an OEM look but with a far more resilient finish that still looks good today ... definitely one for your to do list Sir ...
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    been a bit tardy with posts lately... so a quick bit of house keeping, as i seem to have a few straggly threads...

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...-gearbox-issue .... chasing a gearbox glitch that is related to throttle position sensor signal...... not resolved here....

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...-unstable-idle.... also an unstable idle issue which also includes an added bonus of an aerial change, and TPS change (which should be in here!)

and finally http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...eset-procedure 3 pages of unstable idle, associated investigation, blowing up of components and a resolution!!!!

upshot, lots of investigation, swapping of bits, swapping back, more testing, accidentally killing ecus, replacing ecus, and more tweaking and all is well! we have a gearbox behaving, an idle in the 750-800rpm area, and the exhaust is running far cleaner... so finally we can move on

at Beaulieu Supercars, it was noted by Sarah, that her leg was getting wet as we pulled into the show..... hmmm.... no coolant pipes around her, but put the heater on full and drips were spitting out of the lower heater vents...... hmmm....

pull the carpet mats up, and the carpet .... fortunately i had made new, finest green carpet, so its in sections, rather than a single moulding, so i quickly found the puddle of pure fresh water in the footwell.... a proper sloshy puddle! so unscrew the footwell vent cover and pull that bit of carpet out of the way, and lo, the heater box was dripping quite profusely! pull out the drain hose, and nothing, prod a twig up it and it starts to drip....

now i've only seen a AC wee puddle under my car about twice in the 14 years i've had it! so avoiding using the AC and on returning home pulled the carpet and under mat sound deadening, which does a really good 'sponge' impression and dried it all out over a few days.... wringing wet was the literal phrase!

putting a tiny camera up the drain tube hole showed a couple of bits of dead foam so a quick airline blow was used to clear it, and heater on full had airflow out of the drain tube.... but i still wanted to make sure...... so.....

start digging:

and a hole, with AC evap pipes close behind, so wise to go gently! the foam was cut with a scalpel.....
    IMG_20190921_162332 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

so now i have a viewing window, that i can investigate with my lil camera thing! (after finding out it wifi's to my phone, and sulks if it's near metal, so camera in car, control box and phone outside, just to be awkward!)

no doubt going in from the other side would be better, as the evap pipe loop isn't that side, but then you have to fight around pedals..... and cant get the carpet out of the way so easy.... and there'a a steering wheel in the way..... etc etc!!!
    So I'm assuming Jon you found the leak, was it from that very small pipe indent area you've shown or are you still investigating where it's coming from??? 🤔

Very good photography by the way. 👍
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

The 'leak' is not from the Aircon circuit, or the engine coolant circuit, it's a product of the Aircon doing its thing...

Think of a coke can straight from the fridge, open, pour and the can/glass gets wet on the outside with humidity condensing on the cold surface. The same happens on the air con evaporator (hence why a screen demists quicker with the Aircon on).... And the evaporator is a heat (cool) exchanger with a lot of surface area... So a lot of water can be generated!

The Aircon/heater box has a funnel arrangement at the bottom feeding to the drain tube, but as it was not draining it was filling, and spilling into the interior.... So the drain tube was blocked, usually by ingested debris, tho I have a filter on the air intake to the heater system, or old foam that has become unstuck or broken down and fallen down. A probe with the camera up through the drain hole showed some dead foam, so I wanted to get a better look, hence the 'drastic' measures.... The alternative is to strip out ALL the dash to get to it!!!

Anyway, took it out for the day, air con on all the way there and back, and an investigation under the car when we returned....

The Aircon drain tube dripping fluid as it should
    Last edited by britlude; 22-09-2019 at 06:06 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

All the front bay brackets are now satin silver powder coat, I was finishing a couple of stragglers! Next on the list are the ones under the car.... The timings mean I can do one, and while it's cooking I can remove/prep the next.....

Now I have an inspection hole in the bottom of the heater I can do this, ok it should be rotated clockwise as the shafts are vertical....

This is the internal doors moving from the hot setting (air channels covered so all the air has to go through the heater core, then to cold setting and the shutters move to cover the heater matrix.....
    Last edited by britlude; 22-09-2019 at 06:07 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

a couple of random things over the last couple of weeks.....

turn the key and the starter was 'hesitant' to start, you know, it's doesn't turn quite as instantly as you expect, so i knew something was going to need looking at, so i ordered another ignition switch electrical unit (fits on the end of the key barrel)

a little later it decided it didn't want to turn over, until about the 6th turn of the key... plenty of relay clicking going on, and a clunk from the starter motor, so investigation needed!!

i took off the air filter box, and popped the end off the starter solenoid.....

IMG_20191213_141333 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

terminals a bit pitted but nothing dramatic! a quick sand of all the contact surfaces gave me this....
    IMG_20191213_141904 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

reassembled, a turn of the key, and exactly the same symptoms, lots of clicking, but no motor turning! swapped in the ignition switch unit and all was well!!!

gave the computers behind the glove box a quick once over! nothing untoward found! http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...-and-all-that!
    Last edited by britlude; 07-03-2020 at 01:50 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

There's an overhaul kit for the starter for a few bucks. I recall I've got mine from the UK. Highly recommended to install it because sooner or later ...

Yup, well aware, as I overhauled mine in 2014 http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...-motor-service!!! Followed by a few others!!

Carl is still supplying kits, so I have a new repair kit in stock for when it needs renewing (£15+postage).... Note, not all starters on the NSX are the same, you need your specific starter number!
    aka Jonathan!!

Blog Entries

Hi, Jonathan.

Do you mind sharing the info on how many miles you covered since the starter was overhauled in 2014?
    Also, did you have a chance to look at the contact surface on the plunger side (the one that connects the two terminals in your above photo)?

Always nice seeing someone working on one's daily driven NSX.

Kaz

The plunger side of the contact was much the same 'hammered finish' from the spark erosion as the contacts in the picture, but not a severe erosion, a quick wipe over with sandpaper smoothing the surface. The erosion was all the way around the contact washer, showing the plunger is turning to spread the contact area.

Checking an old mot, mileage shows about 35k miles since I did the starter overhaul in 2014. Being a daily means its used more than most! I checked the starter end first as it's a quick fix, and the contacts can be checked on mine with the starter still in situ....
    aka Jonathan!!

MOT time, so a quick look round and the front anti roll bar drop links have bitten the dust, the rubber old and broken.... i'm pretty sure they haven't been changed, can't remember doing it, so not surprising really! the top bolts, the ones through the anti roll bar end didn't want to unscrew fully, fortunately an angle grinder and a ultra thin cutting disc made quick work of removing them!

fortunately, after market replacements are available, so the dreaded NSX tax can be avoided! i got both sides from ebay, with a 5% discount of you spend over £20 AND the seller had a general 20% off code too.... result, both sides for just over £20!!! yes they are not OEM, so a disaster for some, but they are a consumable unit, and cheap and easy to replace!!!! not many things you can say that about on our cars!!!

NSX front drop links.... by NSX Jon, on Flickr

anyhoo, another MOT passed, and with the replacement engine ECU, which struggled through emissions the last couple of years (the TPS 5v line having noise, confusing everything) it now passed with negligible CO and hydrocarbons! super clean!
    aka Jonathan!!

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast