Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Britludes NSX story

Excellent thread Jonathan ...

I didn't appreciate quite how much you've already done

Looking forward to the next updates ...

regards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

neither did i! And another 4 years to go
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Great write up. Is amazing the amount of work that one can put into a car just sorting bits out.

You are a bloody genius, amazing!!!

the ongoing saga…….

After the excitement of the new exhausts, and subsequent change in tailpipes (2 simple slashcut round tips this time, instead of the 2 ‘halfords special’ twin tips) it was down to enjoying the car and doing the routine stuff….

90000 oil change (yawn!)

91000 HID head lights and sidelights! As part of a DTA special offer (and as Christmas present) I received a Hid kit, 6000k (blue/white colour) with matching side light leds. Fitted without too much issue, and the evenings were now bright and clear! No separate thread as it was quite boring!

5/1/09 sorted petrol flap spring… the petrol flap stopped springing out like it should, almost getting to the stage where a 2 person manoeuvre would be needed to open it, so the spring was refreshed! Well, replaced with a bit of spring steel, fashioned to be a little bit more robust!

15/2/09 ABS fluid change… the abs pump decided it wanted to run a bit more often than usual, so a quick fluid change was done, to give it a bit of a refresh, hoping it would sort it out….

… it didn’t!!!!

20/2/09 ABS pump service… the pump and abs system was given a flush, and the solenoids exercised, cycled a few times to clear any debris in the solenoids
    (very short thread on the matter http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...nge&highlight= )

april 2009, 930800, refurbish wheels and new tyres… the problem with chromed aluminium wheels, and that’s ALL chromed aluminium wheels, is that chrome doesn’t really like aluminium! And that’s what had happened to mine! The rims were first copper plated, then the chroming process added on the top of that, unfortunately the corrosion had set in between the aluminium and copper layers, so it all had to come off!
    After a lot of searching, a firm was found that could chemically strip the copper, and once the rims were clean, they were polished, and anodised. A far more durable finish. Curiously, by then Evox had dropped the chrome plating from their range, adding instead the anodised finish on their new wheels. shame they hadn’t done it sooner!

While the wheels were all stripped to their component parts, the centres were also repainted, in a dark grey metallic, paint code ‘dark grey metallic that looks nice’ … and all done just in time for Japfest

then i decided 'It’s the summer', so I had a rest!

(that post looks quite dull, i'll add some pics to the next one, jazz it up a bit )

... see even that smiley helps!

really, there is some fun stuff coming up.....
    Last edited by britlude; 22-06-2012 at 03:19 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Aug 09… the double din dash mod! Now it’s always been a source of irritation that, although there’s a CD changer in the boot, there’s a cassette player in the dash.

Now I know mine is a early car, so it is forgivable, but to still have it fitted on later ones is just odd! What that means is there’s no factory ‘steal it out of a later car upgrade’ option, so more radical solutions are needed!

My basic requirements were no motorised screen (not sure why, just didn’t want one!) a cd player, and GPS! I had a 7” screen thing in the hotrod, and wanted the GPS as the radio/CD screens are sooo boring!

Anyway, I found a unit that fitted the bill and chopped things up until they all fitted! (ok maybe a little more careful than just attacking it with a chainsaw!)

Image1238640x480 by jon sutherland, on FlickrImage1238640x480 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Image1241640x480 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Anyway the upshot is NOOOO cassette ! hurrah! Ironically, as the unit has a SD card slot, I’ve not even used the CD player part!!!
    Image1247640x480 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Here’s the full lowdown! http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...nit&highlight=

...see told you i'd jazz it up a bit
    Last edited by britlude; 18-07-2017 at 10:23 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

Sept 09… a whiff of steam under the engine cover glass gave me the clue that there was the need for a new milk bottle header tank, as a split had formed just above the flange for the outer 2 mounting bolts. A couple of failed attempts to rectify the problem weren’t doing the trick, but bought me enough time to get a new header tank ordered.

When it arrived it was given a quick going over with a scotchpad, and painted to match the intake covers (dark met grey) with a masked off stripe to give an area to see the fluid level. Once refitted everything was fine (obviously!!! Pretty pointless doing it if didn’t fix it!)
    z2012-06-23-858800x600 by jon sutherland, on Flickr
    this pic was taken june 2012 so no worries about durability!

While I was tinkering, I removed the spare wheel, bracket and blower motor, and had a go at cleaning out the aircon evaporator as best as I could, and fitted a filter on the air intake to stop any more debris finding it’s way into the system…
    Image1404800x600 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

Oct 09… all was well, but with a plume of steam, I was stopped at the side of the road, a stream of water running across the tarmac. Whilst waiting for the recovery truck I stripped the rad out to see just what had happened, and the plastic part of the radiator header tank had split.... not good. Once recovered home, a shot of jb weld was splodged on, and a replacement rad was ordered… so the new all aluminium replacement rad was duly delivered and fitted, and subsequent coolant/antifreeze refreshed!

Whilst waiting for the rad to arrive from afar, I made up some stone shields, just to offer some protection for the new matrix!
    Image1554800x600 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

More details here….http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...ks!&highlight=
    Last edited by britlude; 19-07-2017 at 09:28 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

Nov 09… getting bored with the damp inside the screen!! its still happening….

Feb 10… getting really fed up with the screen fogging up, so replaced the top door rubbers, to stop water getting in
    Image1697800x600 by jon sutherland, on Flickr
    All covered in this thread….http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...9852#post69852

March 10…. finally got around to taking the climate control unit apart, and changed out the CCU electrolytic capacitors. These are notorious for leaking after years of service, so a check is in order. Lucky I had a look as there were 2 corroded tracks, so these were repaired and the unit put back together!!! While I was playing about with the car, I thought the brakes were a bit spongy, so bled the brakes!

April 10… even though I’d bled the brake system, it still didn’t feel right, so new brake master cylinder was ordered (rockauto.com), along with a calliper overhaul kit (bigg red brakes) with all the callipers stripped, old rubber parts replaced with new seals, and a new master cylinder fitted, I bled the brakes, now it all feels a lot better! (can’t find pics to bore you with, sorry)

On the screen condensation front, it was still ongoing, so new lower door seals were ordered and fitted, really getting fed up with scraping the inside and the outside of a frosty screen… i must be running out of water sources soon!!!
    Image1817640x480 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

The abs pump seems to be working more often, so the fluid was changed and the solenoids exercised…. Again!!! I even asked for a replacement unit that I could service and swap in!!http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...nit&highlight=
    Last edited by britlude; 18-07-2017 at 10:42 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

May 10…101k oil change! New battery and a set of floor mats (ebay special!)

June 10… another set of rear tyres! ....again!

July 10… definitely fed up with the ABS pump, so I ordered up a new accumulator
    Image2282800x600 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

and gave the system a thorough going over, making up a little widget allowing me to backflush the solenoids.
    Image2290800x600 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

If the ABS accumulator fails (its half gas/half fluid like citreon suspension systems), it allows more fluid in until the pump switches off when the set pressure is reached. This leads to the commonly reported problem (at least on prime) of the abs reservoir overflowing. Also once it activates, it needs to pump sooner to refresh the pressure, so the pump runs almost as soon as the ABS triggers. When the solenoids release the pressure when ABS is needed, the fluid goes back to the reservoir.

leaky solenoids will show as the pump running more often, accumulator on the way out will show as ABS pump starting almost as soon as the ABS is triggered, and reservoir overflowing, or very close to overflowing.

when i replaced mine, i filled to the max line and switched on the ignition, this activated the abs pump as the pressure is low. as per manual, i refilled to the max line and cycled the ABS a couple of times then refilled again to the max. when i got back home, i exercised the solenoids to release the pressure, and the expelled fluid doesn't reach the top of the reservoir! Hurrah!

another thing i did notice was when the ABS activated with the old accumulator, the fluid came back to the reservoir, fast at first (as expected) fading down to a slow 'dribble', whereas the new one came though fast at first, fading a little but to a definate 'stop'.

Anyway it did the trick, and here’s the full lowdown…
    http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...ent&highlight=

Aug 10... sub amp decided to give up the ghost, so a new sub amplifier was sourced from germany….
    http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...re-speaker-amp

Another rest… playing with the hotrod…

to be continued! again....
    Last edited by britlude; 18-07-2017 at 10:43 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

Jan 11… winter project for this year was a quick retrim of the gearstick/steering wheel/armrest bits
    zImage2516640x480 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

a26122010031640x480-2 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

z03012011026640x480 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

here’s the lowdown on what I did.. http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...or-trim-tweaks

After several years of running the inside brake lights as fog lights, I finally got round to sorting this! Technically you shouldn’t use brake lights as fog lights, so I worked out a centre fog light mod, using the unused centre panel!
    Here’s the thread… http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...s!)&highlight=

z31012011104640x480 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

ok, so the led look might not be to everyones taste, but the point is it’s a bright light to be seen from a distance! If they are close enough to make out led dots, then the light would be off anyway!!!

oh the days of the halford twin exhaust tips.....
    Last edited by britlude; 19-07-2017 at 04:18 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast