Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Britludes NSX story

latest mini-update! now with pics!

when i got the car, the roof had been polished through the lacquer, so shortly after i got it and i'd got fed up looking at it every time i opened the car i repainted the roof! flatted back, painted, and polished back to original. by 'original' i mean back to a nice black roof, with a polished through the lacquer bit in exactly the same place! bum!

so when i got fed up of looking at the shiny fresh polished through bit, i eventually painted it again, again flatting back, barrier coating, primer, black, lacquer, and once finished i had a glassy smooth lovely roof!

move on about 3 years, and the roof begins to have some micro-blistering, 3 yrs fine, then it decides to erupt. i put up with this for a year, then flat and polish, again i'm back to glassy, but know the problem is still there, and last year it worked its way through again, ending the year looking like a tiny bubbled pizza! just like this... no, it's not wet!
    2014-03-07-4495 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

enough was enough, i had to bite the bullet and get on with it! with the hot spell recently, supplies were bought and the car set upon!

with micro blisters you have to flat down to find the source and remove it, unfortunately in my case, as suspected it was the barrier coat, so all the paint i had put on was removed..... the first coat of paint i has put on caused the problem! typical!

2014-03-07-4499 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

at the bottom of the pic the 'grey' is the lacquer, with black dots, where the black has been pushed up, next up is the black paint with beige dots, where the primer is erupting through the black!

moving along top left, you can just see where we have the grey of the barrier coat coming through the primer! bum!

so all stripped off! (before the trims/ b-pillars removed, and the roof edges finished, the trims/b-pillars were painted too!!)
    2014-03-07-4501 by jon sutherland, on Flickr
    Last edited by britlude; 21-07-2017 at 02:27 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

anyway, fast forward a bit, and the roof is nice and smooth and black again! just as it should be!
    2014-03-27-4529 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

2014-03-27-4528 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

on a quick sort of aside, Berlina black is just that, straight black with nothing added! the old term would be 'taxi black'!

anyway, with the shiny new roof, i also treated the car to a new top screen trim bits as mine had shrunk and suffered after 22yrs of use on 2 sides of the world!

here's a pic of the trim, cos you've never seen one before! it's not until you have a nice new pliable shiny trim that you realise just how past-it the one on the car was!
    2014-03-27-4527 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

i also put a new mast in the aerial, as mine wasn't playing as it should! this turned into a bit of a trial as there is a sleeve around the base of the mast, which stays stuck in the aerial housing when the old mast is taken out! ho hum, a lot of fiddling and disassembly and it's all as it should be again! hurrah!
    Last edited by britlude; 21-07-2017 at 02:29 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

sorta boring update, mainly because there are no pictures!

occasionally i have been getting a 'knock' from the front suspension when i go over bumps. I have a particular bump on my way to work that i can't avoid if the traffic is wrong, so have been getting reminders on a regular basis!

The MOT didn't show any play in the suspension joints (although i had taken the precaution of sorting some bare uprights for new ball-joints that might be needed later) so i'd had anti-roll bar drop links ready since xmas! finally got a free minute to fit them!

before removing the drop links, the anti roll bar was given a firm wobbling, and a slight knock in the joint area found on the drivers side (always nice to find something!)

fitting was fairly straight forward after the old ones were removed, a combination of fighting with corroded threads and allen key sockets before employing an angle grinder!

no pics, but imagine a dirty black bit being replaced with a shiny new bit! with plenty of grease on the threads and allen socket!

i cleaned the front suspension at the same time, with the simple green precision cleaner stuff!
    aka Jonathan!!

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    i cleaned the front suspension at the same time, with the simple green precision cleaner stuff!
    I'm sure you do it just to wind a few owners up .... LoL!
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

been doing a little preventative maintenance on the starter motor.....

2014-05-06-4808Small by jon sutherland, on Flickr

full story here.... http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...-motor-service!!!

also my car had developed a 'knock' when turning the steering wheel, regular and always with the wheel in the same position, so after a quick upside down and backwards fumbling in the footwell, it was decided it was the bottom steering knuckle/UJ that was the culprit. lucky really, as if it were the top joint it would have meant a new column as the joint is not changeable!

anyway, a new joint was purchased and duly fitted! and the knock was gone!

this is the old one! it had a knock on the car which i couldn't replicate off the car! most odd!
    2014-05-01-4705Small by jon sutherland, on Flickr

jolly sportingly Honda had designed the joint in such a way that the clamp bolts could be removed and the joint slid up the longer spline, releasing it from the short spline, allowing the joint to be swung out of the way and removed! nice as it means the column doesn't have to be touched!
    Last edited by britlude; 21-07-2017 at 02:31 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

also has a bit of a tidy up on the engine intake cover plate....

before..
    2014-05-03-4718Small by jon sutherland, on Flickr

after...
    2014-05-03-4720Small by jon sutherland, on Flickr

..........hmmm. wonder why i felt the need to tidy that up?????????
    Last edited by britlude; 21-07-2017 at 02:32 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    ..........hmmm. wonder why i felt the need to tidy that up?????????
    Engine bay envy
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

read all about it here..... http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...weak-with-pics!!!

a slight change to the rocker covers colour....
    2014-05-05-4793Small by jon sutherland, on Flickr

had to be done!!!
    Last edited by britlude; 21-07-2017 at 02:33 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

latest tweak... well, been on 'test' for a couple of months..... 'rear coil pack rain deflector exotic drain thingy'....

basically a splash guard for the back of the engine!
    2014-05-29-4901 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

2014-05-29-4904 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

must sort a new pic of the finished version! and just noticed the painted rocker cover post above has the splash guard in it and no-one noticed!!!

full story, not that there's alot more to say... here http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...-pack-solution (thread pix repaired!)
    Last edited by britlude; 05-08-2017 at 04:32 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

had a day off today, so finally got around to sorting a couple of bits on the NSX....

firstly, the door handles lacquer had 'gone off' with the effects of use and weather, after years of faithful service.... to the point that I wrapped the handle for Silverstone classic as an interim measure. i had sourced another handle from USA, my theory being the US version is the passenger side, and less used! this was all very well but the only ones i could find at something approaching reasonable cost needed painting. i know i could have just painted the one already on the car, but as mine is a daily driver, I didn't want down time whilst waiting for paint to dry!

anyway, a quick before, you can see the lacquer under where the nsx badge was has lost it's oomph! (i took advantage of a hot day and whipped the badge out!) (the handle is matt as i had flatted it back before applying the wrap, the lacquer was old and soft enough to scrape off with a finger nail!)

10847770_10204581372067301_308720381697587439_n by jon sutherland, on Flickr

and after.... a lot better!

10359405_10204581371667291_3221375161980559966_n by jon sutherland, on Flickr

now it's bolted on the car, I can give it a final polish
    Last edited by britlude; 21-07-2017 at 02:35 PM. Reason: reconnecting pic links
    aka Jonathan!!

Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast