Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Britludes NSX story

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    Whilst the car was playing host to a dead gearbox, I took the opportunity to do a coolant hose refresh! well i had to find something to do!

So a set of hoses was ordered from our friends across the Atlantic, excluding the 6 main hoses that I’d already purchased in silicone.. lots of bags!

silicon set

Hi Jonathan,

Question for you, more out of curiosity as I've been reading stuff and there was reference to the fact that silicone hoses can 'release' fluid through the composition of the hoses as compared to the OEM manufacture. The discussion recognised that they are great for withstanding higher temperatures for short periods, ie competition use, but questioned the rational of using them for daily drivers.

Were you aware? I guess you simply swap out one lunchtime between sandwiches if they do 'leak' ;o)

regards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

hi Paul, not heard that one before, but as with pretty much everything, for the expert that says something is great, there will always be another expert to say it's the worst thing ever, and we're all doomed!

i was always under the impression silicone hoses were an improvement/progression over the old rubber hoses so will now monitor them! or just check the water level as usual!

i'm sure the issues referenced in your reading would involve tiny amounts over a long period of time!

much the same as i once read that GRP fibreglass was not waterproof and as such is no good for boats... ironic that most small boats are GRP!
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

I should have said that the information was provided by a manufacturer of both silicone and OEM hoses, so no real bias either way as far as I could tell.

Certainly do keep your usual eye on the levels and as you were not aware I'm pleased I commented.

regards, Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

time for another boring oil change update...

124767.... changed the oil!

once again i used the '1-bar-on-the-gauge-at-idle-with-hot-oil' indicator of when to change... so works out about 6k miles again!

.. and used the last of my original long filters however it does mean i'll have more room to make less mess when the shorter version goes on next time

on a more interesting note, i have completed 1 relatively big project on the NSX, and working on a small obvious one that i'm surprised no-one in the world has done yet!

aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Such a tease....
    Senninha

so here's the latest big (well sort of) NSX project... http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...world-of-mats!

just to keep me amused, and give a little refresh....the carpet overhaul!!!
    2013-10-04-4007 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

now all nice and new! still Simons fault!!!

while i'm at it, i gave the bonnet hook a spruce up! after a good wire-brush off it got a couple of coats of satin black and baked on!
    2013-11-29-4204 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

2013-11-29-4205 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

a shot of copper-slip on the threads to keep the bolts fresh, all somewhat tidier!
    Last edited by britlude; 20-07-2017 at 09:47 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

as a boxing day treat and between storms, i gave the throttle body, idle valve and EACV (electronic air control valve) a spruce up.... first up was the throttle body, removed and given a good going over....

before and after
    2013-12-26-4329 by jon sutherland, on Flickr
    2013-12-26-4330 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

and on the car....
    2013-12-26-4328 by jon sutherland, on Flickr
    2013-12-26-4344 by jon sutherland, on Flickr
    Last edited by britlude; 20-07-2017 at 09:49 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

occasionally the car would die for no reason when it was started, so i gave the idle valve and EACV a clean-up. the EACV has a filter too, so after reading about possible cloggage,

i ordered some small bits from Lings...
    2013-12-26-4325 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

and the idle valve left, and the EACV on the right, removed from the intake.... (they are upside down on the bench!!!)
    2013-12-26-4332 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

the filter was removed! it's pushed in like a core-plug, so doesn't want to come out easily! hence just a bit bent, however, the difference is clear...
    2013-12-26-4338 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

... or not so clear! bear in mind it had already had a carb-cleaner blast before the pic was taken!

the rubber seals had taken on a bit of a set too (old left, new right obviously!)...
    2013-12-26-4336 by jon sutherland, on Flickr
    Last edited by britlude; 20-07-2017 at 09:51 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

after doing this, and restarting the car it stalled instantly, so went from occasional/rare to consistent every time! lol, typical!!

so, clock fuse removed, in for a drink, replace fuse, start up and let the car relearn how to run with nice clean inlet and EACV filter! after about 15 minutes of letting it do it's thing, switched off, and on again...

....all as it should be now!
    aka Jonathan!!

a quick fog light dash lamp mod.. literally 5 minutes!!!!

see here for the lowdown! http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...200#post106200
    aka Jonathan!!

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast