Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: Britludes NSX story

also ordered new door/body seals that go over the side glass.... these are overly complicated rubber mouldings with various internal and external channels, and mine had split on one of the moulding joins, and no matter what i tried i couldn't get them to seal adequately, and the water was managing to appear behind the rubber at the front and rear corners, getting the flocked body edge seal wet, wicking the water inside and getting it damp. i've always had this issue, and enough was enough!

so new seals purchased, i had replaced them many moons ago!
    NSX body seal.... by NSX Jon, on Flickr

so fitted and extra attention used when fitting the ends... there are channels to direct water that gets into the rubber seal core (yes really!) to outside the door seals, so a bit of juggling and extra silicon was used to make sure water stayed where it should.... fingers crossed its ok... it fails in a very heavy downpour, but they have been a bit extreme lately!!!

so the rubbers fitted, they were tested with a bit of spray instant detailer in the rubber 'holes' to see if the fluid was directed correctly.... (instant detailer being a milky colour to make it obvious!) and all seems well... except....

the passenger side front.....

NSX secret water channel by NSX Jon, on Flickr

in the front channel beside the glass there is 2 holes, one half way down, and one where the channel ends where the front triangle panel meets the glass/body seal....... except this one wasn't properly formed, a skin over where the hole should be! a quick trim with a scalpel and a hole was returned!!!!

NSX secret water channel by NSX Jon, on Flickr
    Last edited by britlude; 07-03-2020 at 02:15 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

with pandemic lockdown, got some bits done..... http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...ockdown-thread

edited highlights...

IMG_20200329_121238 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

IMG_20200406_123118 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

IMG_20200408_125740 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

IMG_20200407_141909 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

IMG_20200409_153119 by jon sutherland, on Flickr
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Latest additions.... Door seal membranes and more overdoor sealing nonsense!!!!

IMG_20201113_120917 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

chasing drips....
    IMG_20201128_144607 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

read the details here...... http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...-nsx-ownership!
    Last edited by britlude; 02-12-2020 at 10:42 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

got myself a fire stick extinguisher

IMG_20201230_153546 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

a few more pix here.... http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...487#post130487
    aka Jonathan!!

blimey, it's been a while since i updated this... those that see my facebook page know i've been busy, so here's a quick update for those that have missed out...

think i've finally got to the bottom of the damp interior issue, only taken 15 years!!!! anyway, update here http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...875#post130875

bottom line, the foam seal in the over door trim are ok for washing the car, but give it 4hrs of rain, then the water can seep through and get behind the seals and into the car.... that's why it was frustrating and a pain to find.... before i got the car the roof had been sprayed a couple of times, going green, then black again, so the sealing foams had already been damaged before i got it. and had no reference to the foam properties... a lot of trial and error later, i might be there!!!

i have puddles, which is encouraging!
    IMG_20210513_130409 by NSX Jon, on Flickr

driving home one day, the sun visor made a loud pop and went floppy..... not good, i might have to complain the the vendor that sold it to me!

anyhoo, i took off the vinyl cover i'd already made to cover the typical split, and investigated...
    IMG_20210424_155405 by NSX Jon, on Flickr

the spring steel clip, it turns out, has a rivet through it, to make it tighter.... the small silver circle is the rivet head that had pinged off... so a new rivet was made, literally out of an old nail...
    IMG_20210425_094608 by NSX Jon, on Flickr

reassembled, cover sewn back on, refitted, to find the clip was the wrong way round, so held the visor to the screen, not the roof.... so remove,cut stitching, reverse clip, resew, refit....

.... to find it's not tight enough, so remove, cut stitching, tighten rivet, resew, refit.... seems the rivet has to hold the 2 flats the rivet goes thru very tightly together.. the picture above isn't tight enough!!!!
    live and learn!!!!

had the brake bulb warning light come on, on the dash, a first for me!!! was it the bulb sense controller spitting its dummy?

IMG_20210428_073615 by NSX Jon, on Flickr

no, turns out it was working perfectly!!!

and last, but no means least, i finally got a break in the weather to fit a new starter inhibitor relay, the one that (in my JDM car) is buried on the computer rack behind the glove box just above the sub, no where near any other relays, or easily accessible..... as starting the car was giving increasingly regular issues.... by a process of elimination, having changed/serviced everything else, this was the prime suspect

IMG_20210508_154543 by NSX Jon, on Flickr

note... the mounting bracket has been slotted. yes, it is that fiddly to get to that and this allowed me to fit the mounting bolt, slide the bracket into place, then nip the bolt up.... without having to take half the dash apart to get to it!!! ta Honda!

touch wood, since it's been swapped in the issue has vanished.... give it another week and i'll take the emergency reserve wire off the starter motor!

the relay is a Denso 056700-8570

don't buy this one !!! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263077327846 , i'm hoping the £110.99 price for a s/h unit is an extreme typo!!!

think that's the main bits covered....
    Last edited by britlude; 15-05-2021 at 03:44 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

just going to add a thread cross-link to the seat fun and games from January http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...to-not-recline

IMG_20201222_121310 by NSX Jon, on Flickr
    aka Jonathan!!

169k... Oil change, nothing exciting to report, apart from the fur door trims seem to be dry after heavy rain, so the foam I put under the over door trims after the new screen seems to be working...
    Last edited by britlude; 22-10-2021 at 04:11 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

i did a budget glass hatch strut refresh using aftermarket struts....
    IMG_20211223_125940 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

read about it here...
    http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...537#post131537
    aka Jonathan!!

as i have been somewhat remiss updating this thread, here's an update as to what i've been doing lately......

the shiny new JDM rear lights i ordered have finally been fitted, not before a bit of red tint was put over the reversing lenses.... it annoys me that they had the opportunity for a clean red rear panel (after all they did it with the indicators, but not so with the reversing lights, and it offends my aesthetic!!!!) anyhoo, reversing lights are now the fogs, and reversing light is stealth!

centre console... mine was damaged/wrinkled/broken when i got the car, so i stripped it and painted it.... several times.... seems the plating coating is to hold back the porosity of the underlying material.... i peeled it off, so i get blisters under the paint....

scraping the blisters show just where the bubble started

so they were covered in thin superglue, allowed to soak a bit, then hit with activator... hopefully it got in and sealed it a bit! after that it was the traditional sanding and flatting, before colour

then lacquer and back in

next up was the seats... my leatherseats.com covers are over 11 years old now, and the green sections suffering a little, so time to get ahead of any issues....

so a kit was ordered to restore the cushion sections....

the seats had also faded from green to blue, here's an offcut of the original leather.... with the tip recoloured with the kit

decided it might be a bit bright, so mixed in some black from the same manufacturer to calm it down

this was then applied following the multi stage and multi chemical process...

spot the cushion with the faded colour!!!!
    aka Jonathan!!

here's the before and after.... bearing in mind i'd darkened the green down significantly!!!

and now it's just before Beaulieu supercars, and my plans for a complete respray are on hold for the time being, i decided to sort the horrid drivers rear wing... it's been offensive for years, but finally too much.... it's had paint sometime in its life, and a patch of lacquer right in the middle art the top had made a bid for freedom. so.....

the offending bit.... lacquer was also lifting along the edge next to the bootlid....

so flatted back, masked off and a bit of colour...

then lacquer, leave in it natures oven to cure, flat and polish the next day and get....

it'll do until it gets the respray it deserves.....

aka Jonathan!!

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast