Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Britludes NSX story

Here’s my ‘build’ thread….

zKIF_0446800x600 by jon , on Flickr

1992 Honda NSX
    JDM
    Charlotte (or Brooklands)
    Green 3.0ltr automatic (i don't care, it's a NSX!)

I bought my car in September 2005 needing a little TLC. I’d seen it listed twice in the previous year on ebay, watching it work it’s way down the country before I bought it from an ad in Autotrader… the previous 2 owners only having it for 6 months each! I suspect the previous owner, a Ferrari fan, couldn’t get used to the concept of a car that would start and go without fuss, rather than the excitement of what would fail to work with the turn of the ignition key or if the timing belt would need changing after a week of use!! That and not being able to get the steering wheel comfortable for himself… It only tilts apparently… Strange that the column has 2 levers then… Anyway, back to the plot... When I got the car I started to sort the bits that needed doing…

- Drivers footwell/column cover… one of the forward locating pins had broken off, the other not located, so the panel bounced off the top of my feet when driving… always a good feeling, wondering of your foot would be stuck on the throttle, unable to lift up to get to the brake!!! Fixed that first

- when I got the car the drivers door handle had broken (the small cast aluminium bit that pulls the cable) which aided negotiations! On arrival home, and after sorting the footwell cover I stripped the handle, and carefully lumiwelded the broken pieces back together! £320 for a new handle saved! (Door fixit thingies were used later, once I’d found that they existed!)

- as part of the importing process a few tweaks were done to make it comply with UK regs… the first was the speedo, which was recalibrated with a small box of magic in the speed signal wiring, and a small ‘mph’ sticker on the speedo. However in their haste they had managed to lose the clear legend where the petrol light is. With the aid of the handbook dash layout a new legend was printed on clear acetate and the dash returned to original! They also managed to lose the trip reset button on the speedo, but I found that later under the carpet ( 7 years after import!)

- Boot release bodge in the door … When the car was imported, and tweaked for the UK roads, they obviously discovered the boot release button wasn’t working, so a power feed was hotwired from the remote alarm sensor in the door … Not realising it was the valet switch in the glove box turned off!!!

- Also to comply with UK regs a fog light was added by disconnecting the inner set of brake lamps (JDM have an extra pair) and wiring them to a switch in the centre console (an ugly switch that needed changing later). All well and good except my car didn’t have a brake warning light like every other NSX…. That’ll be because of the black tape over it! Sorted that, rewired the cente brake lights via a relay to function as both brake lights and fog when necessary. This is still dodgy in the world of regs, so was later changed, but did for the time being, the added bonus being the brake warning lamp on the dash reminding you when the fogs were on!

- TCS switch didn’t light up…. Does with a new bulb!

- aircon controller (ACC) had lamps out, again a couple of ‘grain of wheat’ bulbs sorted that, and gave me experience of getting the centre console out!

- traditional sticky slow windows…. Greased for the time being, until I knew better

- removed the hideously installed Bluetooth kit… well I didn’t have a Bluetooth phone anyway!

- front spoiler was reattached as it had been scraped once too often

- new gas rams for the engine hatch as they didn’t work, even the first time tha car was on ebay

- new gas rams for the boot lid (http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.ph...=5816#post5816 )

- the electric aerial shaft was replaced as the old one was broken. Fortunately JDM has a half height option so it wasn’t too much of an issue, just it was broken!

- the car was suffering with the traditional split sun visors, fortunately I had some vinyl that was a perfect match for the originals… so pockets were sewn and the visors carefully sewn in!

- whilst I was up there I removed the headlining and repaired the back edge, someone previously had been trying to get the headlining out for some reason and had managed to break the back edge, so that it was bent and hung too low, reinforced and rectified it was back to how it should be!

- finally the bonnet catch/release was cleaned and oiled so that it worked properly!

- just to add to the mix, the aftermarket alarm on the car had a boot release button… so it might as well do what it was designed for, especially as the boot has a solenoid release! (guess how I found the boot release in the door bodge!!!!

So, now I had a car that basically did everything it was supposed to, everything that should have worked, did work, and all was well with the world

......except those wheels look a bit small

and the fog lights are a bit unsightly

and its got a cassette player...

....to be continued....

........... in the edit screen there's blank lines between the bullet points, making it somewhat easier to read. I did try, honest! ... *edited, note to self, don't try to be flash and use bullet-points!!!*
    Last edited by britlude; 18-07-2017 at 10:08 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....