Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Britludes NSX story

1. Default

Some simple green is not good for rubber and bushes etc so hope this is ok!
    Formula Red NA2
    Imola Orange NA2
    Yellow NA2

post supercar siege and i have 2 problems....

1. Sarah likes driving the NSX, the whole 'being able to accelerate uphill' is a new novelty for her....

2. following the NSX, apart from looking awesome on the road from front and rear, i spotted a problem with the nearside rear wheel inner edge... it had a wobble...

was it a buckled rim, missing lip, faulty tyre??? on closer inspection at home, it's the tyre. it had a blister on the inner edge, for about half the circumference of the tyre, so a new pair of rears are needed. i don't want a half worn one side and a new one on the other for reasons discussed in another thread, basically it'll put my steering wheel out as the car will want to go in a circle as the lsd drives both wheels evenly....

fortunately my local tyre place had a pair of my preferred kumho ku39 255/35x18 (for £104 a piece) in stock

here's the inside of the good tyre side... nice and smooth, nothing to report

11220877_10205760631188042_4938551313620505860_n by jon sutherland, on Flickr

however the other side was like this...
    11233345_10205760631108040_4126239416347919826_n by jon sutherland, on Flickr

not so much a blister, more of a donut, with a fatter donut for half the tyre. not good! at least it was spotted before silverstone or the pancake run.

there was a 3rd issue with the hotrod, but binding rear brakes (because of a faulty servo that needs stripping again!!!) aren't NSX related....
    Last edited by britlude; 22-07-2017 at 08:30 AM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Firstly, glad you spotted it and the only drama involved finding replacements!

I would suggest you keep an eye on the replacements. I had an MOT failure on the Merc last yr, but the coincedence is that this was also on Kumho Ku39's. Both the MoT tester and tyre fitter put the damage down to potholes and that particular tyre not having a strong sidewall compared to some of its competitors.

Stay safe, rgds Paul
    Senninha

'Too many manufacturers today are obsessed with lap times and power outputs at the expense of emotion and fun' Colin Goodwin

S2 is signed by the NSX Project Leader Shigeru Uehara

'tis the first issue i've had with the numerous sets that have been on the car over the years! i shall keep an eye on them just in case!
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

as you may have gathered... it's been all quiet on the NSX front, nothing exciting to report, everything behaving as it should....

these turned up today.....
    front top and bottom ball joints, you know, the ones that aren't replaceable, only available as part of the NSX front upright/hub carrier.... but have circlips!!

trtr by jon sutherland, on Flickr

the new with a couple of old joints i took out of a spare upright... all measure up fine

9189ec25-e526-4ac5-a1f5-075814c9c25a by jon sutherland, on Flickr

22135037-fc4d-4a70-b673-9fda4983e842 by jon sutherland, on Flickr

all delivered from USA via amazon.com for $657... ok a little extravagant, but bought for when they are needed! bearing in mind, mine are now 23 years old and it's used everyday on the quality roads we get to enjoy in good 'ol Blighty!

they were cheaper via amazon than direct from Rare Parts themselves. they also list the rear bottom joint too. with the upper, they refurb your top wishbone with a new joint, obviously this needs to be sent to them! (i think they are part numbers R11905 and R11906)

rare parts site... http://shop.rareparts.com/smtp/shopd...&%20COMPONENTS
    Last edited by britlude; 22-07-2017 at 08:36 AM.
    aka Jonathan!!

do u have the links as i cant find these on the amazon website?

Quote Originally Posted by britlude View Post
    as you may have gathered... it's been all quiet on the NSX front, nothing exciting to report, everything behaving as it should....

these turned up today.....
    front top and bottom ball joints, you know, the ones that aren't replaceable, only available as part of the NSX front upright/hub carrier.... but have circlips!!

the new with a couple of old joints i took out of a spare upright... all measure up fine

all delivered from USA via amazon.com for $657... ok a little extravagant, but bought for when they are needed! bearing in mind, mine are now 23 years old and it's used everyday on the quality roads we get to enjoy in good 'ol Blighty!

they were cheaper via amazon than direct from Rare Parts themselves. they also list the rear bottom joint too. with the upper, they refurb your top wishbone with a new joint, obviously this needs to be sent to them! (i think they are part numbers R11905 and R11906)
    What a good idea John, so I've just ordered mine and thanks Simon for the hyper link.
    Pride.

1992 My beloved Red/Black manual NA1.😎
    1992 Chevy Lumina apv Rockford Fosgate sound system demo van.🙉
    2003 Hartge Mini Cooper S (2 x UK & 1 x European sound quality finals winner) 🏆 

"The NSX's greatest victory was to WIN the 1995 Le Mans 24hr GT2 Class"
    ..............and guess what, it was a RED one but of course.  

Some time ago there was a thread with a UK supplier . Can't remember who ?
    97 Sebring Silver Ex Honda show car.

after finishing the bits i was doing on the hot rod, i finally got around to fitting the new joints in a spare pair of uprights i have, so later i can just swap over the hardware when the weather is onside!

the theory was to remove them from the car , swap in the new joints and reassemble, but with the weather being horrid today and the outlook just as grim, i dug out the bare 'knuckles' that i'd bought ages ago....

WP_20160102_11_13_27_Pro by jon sutherland, on Flickr

and the new joints fitted

WP_20160102_17_29_54_Pro by jon sutherland, on Flickr

the fitting was fairly straight forward. the joints that load in from the centre (the top in the picture) were snug, but not as tight as anticipated, this might be because there is little room to press them in so factored in by the manufacturer?? anyway, i applied heat to the knuckle, not too hot (still ok to touch! not blow-torched to the point of melting!!) and fitted with a little locktite just to make sure they don't twist in use. i shall mark them for future checking just to make sure!

the top joints, (on the car, and bottom in the picture!!) were as tight as expected, so again some heat was applied and this time the joints pressed in using the trusty vice and some old bearing races from a front wheel bearing as spacers to make it easier! all looking good so far!

i also have a pair of compliance joints that i've already freed and lubricated the castor adjusters, as mine on the car are seized solid!
    Last edited by britlude; 22-07-2017 at 08:38 AM.
    aka Jonathan!!

Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast