Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NA1 1991 Berlina Black

Cool NA1 1991 Berlina Black

Hi guys,

I am really pleased that we have opted to open this new builds forum as I have always found it both useful and satisfying having a thread dedicated to of our cars. Anyways on with the build!

So I have been after an NSX for years, i've worked my way through a fairly healthy catalogue of turbo charged Japanese cars and i've always had an eye on the top place car and for me that is the NSX. When I would (rarely) see one about I would get giddy with excitement! They really are such a spectacle on the road and I do feel lucky to be in a position to own one.

How did that happen? Well I bought a (rather expensive) ticket for a driving tour, a week around the alps with ex racing drivers and fellow lunatics. I bought a stock, black S2000 for the trip and my brother also brought along his heavily modified Nissan 200SX. We had an incredible adventure and met many amazing people, I somehow swapped my S2000 for an F360 Spider and a Murcielago and I can tell you that was an experience around some of the best roads this side of the globe Amazing.. anyway at the end of each day we would catch up in the bar and discuss the day. The theme that kept cropping up was how well the near to stock, larger engined NA cars did versus the smaller, turbo and supercharged cars. My friends and I have always opted for the turbo cars and tuned them for power and handling but it was a bit of an eye opener seeing my brother's fire breathing 200SX having it's ass handed to it every day by a stock Boxster!!

When we came home I was left feeling underwhelmed by the S2000, it was a great car and I vividly enjoyed being on tour with it but in my daily routine it just wasn't doing it for me. It didn't have any sense of occassion. So I got back to looking on pistonheads for Silvia S15's and other Japanese turbo charged cars and on a whim I spied C7NSX, for a fairly outrageous price compared to what I was looking at I might add. I started doing the sums and after two months of haggling and an expensive clutch repair C7NSX was mine! That was in July 2010 and I still cannot stop looking at it outside my window (right now..its distracting me from trying to write this!).

This is the day after I got it home

Onto the spec:

NA1 1991 Berlina Black @ 53,000 miles.

• Tein Racing Springs
    • H&R Hubcentric Spacers (+ 20mm)
    • Porsche Carrera Wheels (F 18" 8j + 50, R 18" 10j +60)
    • Stock intake with custom cone filters inside
    • Wing Intake
    • PRIDE V2 Exhaust
    • Test Pipes
    • NA2 Manifolds
    • StopTech Big Brake Kit (328mm) with ST-10 Rear Calipers
    • Nardi Racing Wheel (330mm)
    • Momo Shifter
    • NRG Snap Off Steering Wheel Hub
    • Carbon fiber center panel
    • Kenwood stereo relocated to glovebox

Some of the modifications were already fitted such as the wheels and BBK, however many are my own personal touches. The car has many minor niggles which I am slowly working through, minor electrical issues, faulty passenger window, a faulty headlamp motor was replaced, a full water pump, timing belt, oil service and handbrake setup was needed after the harmonic balancer failed in spectacular fashion on the motorway (REPLACE YOURS!!!).

This is how it sits today, i've done some work on the paint and various minor things. The biggest visual change will come when I get my new wheels on.

My plans going forward include new wheels which I have now purchased, new aero parts including skirts, rear valance and NSX-R wing and hopefully a full paint job. I would very much like it in a dark, cadbury's purple colour and I have a very good bodyshop. I'd like to ditch the nasty foglights too. These plans are all going to be tempered with me saving up for a house deposit though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nsx1.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	479.6 KB 
ID:	11999   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nsx5.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	375.1 KB 
ID:	12000   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nsx7.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	381.4 KB 
ID:	12001   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nsx_dark1_resized.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	12002  
    Last edited by Tokyo-Joe; 01-12-2013 at 12:52 PM.

I took the car on my first track day in April, here are a couple of shots from that. The car performed beautifully and I can't stress enough how much fun it is! Amazing. Just like the alps but a fraction of the cost. The car also attracted a lot of attention in the pits and always seemed to have a crowd gathered around it.. now I just need to learn how to drive it properly!

A tired drive home!

Last edited by Tokyo-Joe; 01-12-2013 at 12:53 PM.

I took the car to a rolling road event hosted by the guys I went on tour with (PetrolHead Nirvana) at the Surrey Rolling Road.

Here is my graph. The power was disappointing, I was hoping for over 300hp with the modifications I have put on. After some research it seems my fueling is off and I also failed to do an ECU reset since I have owned the car.. oops!

My next steps are to investigate for ECU errors and possible change the 02 sensors although my bro reckons that won't change the power (he's starting a tuning business and has done tons of research on mapping etc along with mapping his own 200SX). After that I guess larger fuel injectors and a custom map, either by ROM chip or by aftermarket ECU. A never ending list cars eh..

Last edited by Tokyo-Joe; 01-12-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Here are a couple of shots from the trip which prompted me to buy the NSX in the first place!

Full gallery here:
    http://www.morfee.co.uk/gallery/inde...ine-North-2011

So I fitted my new wheels this weekend, the arch liners need to go and I need to get an aggressively negative camberred alignment done but otherwise it's good to go. I am not a fan of darker wheels and I think I will have them powder coated gold in a few months

F: 18" 8.5j +39 / 215/35/18
    R: 19" 9.5j +20 / 245/35/19

What do you guys think?

I also removed my fogs.
    Last edited by Tokyo-Joe; 01-12-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Hi Tokyo-Joe
    New wheels looks great but I read that 18/19 wheels are not optimal for handling.
    Have you checked out this on Prime regarding NA tuning:
    http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157469

SS
    Lexus LC500h.......New Daily run around with some saving the Planet thoughts
    Black/black 95 NSX NA with mk1 Ary exhaust....Now sold
    Red/Black 91 NSX treasure.....FI No more NA
    Silver/Pearl White/Black 1993 NSX 3.0 5 MT NSX ZAZ R-GT Twin Scroll Turbo

Hey,

Yep that's fairly high on my list

I like the 18/19 look and am thinking of some smaller rims as track wheels with less aggressive offsets so I can squeeze some wider tyres in there. I guess these are my poser rims

8. Default

Looks very nice :-)
    Formula Red NA2
    Imola Orange NA2
    Yellow NA2

Looks great & stealthy!
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

10. Default

Looks good!

Definitely black with black wheels and red calipers.....but I maybe biased!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast