Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have stop tech discs installed?

Question Anyone have stop tech discs installed?

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

後は、残っているものに関係なく、不可能なことを排除する方法 ありそうもない、真実でなければなりません。

No, but one of my mates in Ft. Myers, Fl. has them fitted on his '92 GPW NSX with a CTSC and many other bits..
    Any questions?

Cheers
    nigel
    Last edited by nigel; 03-05-2012 at 02:51 AM.

Hi,

Forgot to add the questions in the first post lol New baby and lack of sleep.........orgot to add the questions in the first post lol New baby and lack of sleep.........

Whats the good and bad if any? Quite a few people has said to stay away from drilled discs and stay with the grooved as they dont crack as much, surely this must be down to heavy track driving and no just normal use? Whats the good and bad if any? Quite a few people has said to stay away from drilled discs and stay with the grooved as they dont crack as much, surely this must be down to heavy track driving and no just normal use?
    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

Quote Originally Posted by Sudesh View Post
    Hi,

Forgot to add the questions in the first post lol New baby and lack of sleep.........orgot to add the questions in the first post lol New baby and lack of sleep.........

Whats the good and bad if any? Quite a few people has said to stay away from drilled discs and stay with the grooved as they dont crack as much, surely this must be down to heavy track driving and no just normal use? Whats the good and bad if any? Quite a few people has said to stay away from drilled discs and stay with the grooved as they dont crack as much, surely this must be down to heavy track driving and no just normal use?

Something clearly repeating on you Sudesh, have you tried a Rennie?
    Scott
    1994 Red/black roof NA1 Manual
    1993 Red/black roof NA1 Auto - SOLD
    2001 Imola Orange Pearl NA2 T manual - SOLD
    2019 Mercedes GLC - Daily Drive

Previous Toys
    Chesil Porsche Speedster
    GTD GT40 5.7 L Ford
    2008 CAV GT40 5.7 L Ford Audi 6 speed trans
    Ultima Sports 5.7 L SBC, G50 trans
    Superformance AC Cobra 427 SC
    Factory Demonstrator Ultima Sports 5.7 L SBC, G50 trans

Hi Sudesh,

Can't comment on these actual discs but have experiance of drilled discs (mainly track enviroment) and I personally would not even put them on a wheel barrow!

The problem, like you have previously mentioned, is cracking and unless they are ceramic they all crack between the holes under any hard use (track or road).

My view is simple, if you drill a hole in anything solid you introduce a weakness so I would always keep to solid or grooved discs. Increase cooling to solid discs and a good quality brake pad is more beneficial than fitting slotted discs if you want better braking performance in my opinion.

Hope my 2 pence worth helps!

Cheers

Pete.

P.S Congrats on the new family addition.
    91 Honda Nsx
    90 VW Golf 16v (Track Hack)

The drilled discs no mater what manufacture will tend to crack under track use but that's unusual high heat for extended periods.
    My friend doesn't run hard so not much worry there. Mostly there for looks.
    I don't want to take any chances so I have "Bandi", (I think is the name, it has been awhile) slotted on the front, and "Racing Brake" on the rear.
    I found out "Bandi" is the manufacture of "Brembo", and several other brand name rotors and they just put them in a plain coloured box and charge a lot less for the same rotor without the red box. No kidding. If you hold them next to each other you can tell they are the same manufacture.
    My "Racing Brake" rears were a gift from my mate with the other GPW here in Ft. Myers when he bought his "Stop-Tech's. They are drilled as well as slotted but no worries because under even hard braking the rears don't get anywhere near as hot as the fronts and I don't track.
    He has nothing bad to say about them and it's a less expensive way to get big brakes and still have good quality.

Cheers
    nigel
    Last edited by nigel; 04-05-2012 at 09:11 PM.

Sudesh

Tokyo-Joe referred to having stop tech calipers in his recent track day exploits perhaps he can shed some light if he has the discs as well?

regards
    Richard

Hey guys, my discs are indeed slotted as the eBay ad picture shows, I'm no engineer but I can assure you that I have put them under serious abuse and got nothing but fantastic performance they also seem to be hard wearing, very little wear in 4/5000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo-Joe View Post
    Hey guys, my discs are indeed slotted as the eBay ad picture shows, I'm no engineer but I can assure you that I have put them under serious abuse and got nothing but fantastic performance they also seem to be hard wearing, very little wear in 4/5000 miles.
    Thanks for the reples!

Are you the standard discs or the floating system?

I *believe* they are floating discs yes. If that means the center of the disc is not one piece with the disc? Sorry I am new to the world of upgraded brakes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast