Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the NSX becoming too expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post

And lets not forget that there will be ex NSX owners looking at prices today and thinking that it is now unlikely they will own another as prices have moved north ... but they acknowledge it looks a sensible purchase if they can

There will be those Paul, no doubt! There will also be ex owners laughing at the current owners of their cars for their lack of due diligence.

A lack of supply does not automatically create a demand!

As always, a mix of feelings. I'm just glad I got mine (my third) in 2005 when I did a direct swap for my then three year old (2000 mile) ZM coupe. I thought that after my second (NA2) had been written off that would be it NSX wise. While i loved the breadvan for being wacky and unusual, when I saw the opportunity to buy a 7000 mile NSX (a then nine year old NA1 manual) I had no hesitation but to take it. It was over book but I figured that you rarely get a low mileage totally as new car very often and I thought a straight swap was pretty good. But why, given that the NSX was old, technically outclassed, and I had had two before it? Because it is such a fantastic car and i knew that one day it's time would come. and it is. It is extremely well built and feels special every time you look at it, get in it, and drive it. The bollocks about the interior being out of date is rubbish, but i agree a bit less hard plastics would be good! It is now becoming increasingly collectible and as others have said before me here, there comes a time when cars cease to be every day cars and move into the reserve. it evens happens with cortinas. That time has come for the NSX. It will become a staple in octane and Classic car not Autocar, and the buyers guides will trot out the same old guff but the prices will steadily increase. The price of the NSX will never be this low again, so buy now. and those that have not been through the "jaguar syndrome" will be even more desired, given tha cost of bringing these cars to optimum health. So, keep your cars, use them sparingly, have fun and be thankful you didn't buy a 911 or a Vantage. If it had done (a 911) it would be near valueless. On the other hand, i would not sell my now 10000 miles NSX for less than £40k and even then probably wouldn't. It's always better to buy the weird choice.

3. Default

I think most of us here did not buy our brilliant NSX's to make a profit ,did we ! I enjoy taking my car to various CLASSIC CAR shows here in the south west as people just don't see these rare and special cars in these parts, it always attracts great interest. There is virtually no snobbery with the ownership of an NSX and it turns heads wherever you are.

I have owned my car for over 5 years now and I still feel so privileged every time that I jump in, start that amazing engine and pootle out of the garage and on to the open road, every journey is accompanied by admiring glances, acknowledgements and even having photo's taken.

'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' they say, so whether it is an American muscle car,well built German/French sports car or an Italian super car that 'Floats your Boat' so be it,however, I really don't understand ex owners posting negative comments here about alleged unwarranted rising values as it just sounds like sour grapes from where im sitting, just be happy for those here who are lucky enough to own these fantastic APPRECIATING cars,

Ian

I have not seen any negative comments about the cars. Just never ceases to amaze me that a lot of owners think that they are seating on an investment when in reality they have a car that has more air miles than the retired space shuttle. As the cars become rarer more thorough inspections will be carried out an a few "why the long face" moments will be had.

As Mark stated, I could not agree more with his comments.
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

6. Default

Supply & Demand.

There's easily enough demand vs supply. What this tells you is that they are desireable enough for this to happen even if the amount of people that like them are slim vs other marques. Lack of production sales in count for nothing on todays market.

Interesting debate but I think we all bought our cars as that's our passion. Having something interesting in the garage to take out on good days, polish and enjoy is what it is about for me and if it gains in value great, if it dosn't then so be it. I don't smoke, go to the football or chase other women (because I'm not allowed) so what else am I going to spend my hard earned on.
    Scott
    1994 Red/black roof NA1 Manual
    1993 Red/black roof NA1 Auto - SOLD
    2001 Imola Orange Pearl NA2 T manual - SOLD
    2019 Mercedes GLC - Daily Drive

Previous Toys
    Chesil Porsche Speedster
    GTD GT40 5.7 L Ford
    2008 CAV GT40 5.7 L Ford Audi 6 speed trans
    Ultima Sports 5.7 L SBC, G50 trans
    Superformance AC Cobra 427 SC
    Factory Demonstrator Ultima Sports 5.7 L SBC, G50 trans

Quote Originally Posted by SILVER BULLET View Post
    I really don't understand ex owners posting negative comments here about alleged unwarranted rising values as it just sounds like sour grapes from where im sitting, Ian
    I am guessing as the thread starter that this is aimed at me,so i will address the "sour grapes" issue first. I sold my last NSX,not because i had to,but because i chose to.It was getting very little use and an opportunity to accuire a building plot with planning permission for a 5 bedroom house came on the market for just 30K so i sold the NSX and bought that.In terms of investment,it will return me FAR more than my NSX ever would,so no,no sour grapes.

Regards my initial post,i think people are missing my point. I buy a car based on,amongst other things,value for money. When i bought my first NSX it represented a relatively cheap,worry free entry into the junior supercar market.I know there are members on here who live and breathe Honda-i don't. Do i like the brand? absolutley,Honda make a very reliable car,and that's why i chose an NSX over an Esprit when i wanted a car from that segment of the market.

The whole classic car status and Ayrton Senna conections mean nothing to me,again i don't buy vehicles based on who helped develop them, and the fact the may be considered classic.I buy a car i like based on,value for money (figuratively speaking) performance,looks and reliability.THAT is why i made the comparison to the R8,because at this moment in time it represents the same thing.There is no other car out there with the same platform layout to compere the NSX to.Ferrari are too expensive and fragile,and Lotus are not as refined and are too fragile.

The 3 NSX's i bought represented good value for money TO ME. Even the 04 was priced very competatively compered to others of the same year at the time of sale. TO ME, it no longer represents that,the game has moved on,and there are better bang for your bucks cars of the same layout out there.

I have owned 3 NSX's and loved every minute of ownership of all 3, but i would not return to the NSX if i was again in the market for such a car,because as i said,the game has moved on,and the NSX is now too expensive for what it is,TO ME. Please don't misunderstand me,i hope you all enjoy your cars as much as you can,they are fantastic cars, they are just not an ownership propostion for me any more due to their rapidly rising prices.

Regards,

Ivor.
    92 brown/blue/gold manual coupe sadly stolen:
    96 Brooklands Green manual T-top.Sadly now sold
    04 Formula Red manual coupe Very sadly sold

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    There are currently 135 R8's for sale on PH from £43k ... is it any wonder this mass produced sports car is loosing value yr on yr
    Paul, i really don't think Honda wanted to limit the amount of NSX's they built,they simply didn't have the demand. I belive if the demand had been there (as it is with the R8) the NSX would still be in production now and the values would be lower than they currently are. Have a look on pistonheads at the amount of 997 911's for sale,and suddenly the R8 seems rare.

Regards,

Ivor
    92 brown/blue/gold manual coupe sadly stolen:
    96 Brooklands Green manual T-top.Sadly now sold
    04 Formula Red manual coupe Very sadly sold

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I am guessing as the thread starter that this is aimed at me,so i will address the "sour grapes" issue first. I sold my last NSX,not because i had to,but because i chose to.It was getting very little use and an opportunity to accuire a building plot with planning permission for a 5 bedroom house came on the market for just 30K so i sold the NSX and bought that.In terms of investment,it will return me FAR more than my NSX ever would,so no,no sour grapes.

Regards my initial post,i think people are missing my point. I buy a car based on,amongst other things,value for money. When i bought my first NSX it represented a relatively cheap,worry free entry into the junior supercar market.I know there are members on here who live and breathe Honda-i don't. Do i like the brand? absolutley,Honda make a very reliable car,and that's why i chose an NSX over an Esprit when i wanted a car from that segment of the market.

The whole classic car status and Ayrton Senna conections mean nothing to me,again i don't buy vehicles based on who helped develop them, and the fact the may be considered classic.I buy a car i like based on,value for money (figuratively speaking) performance,looks and reliability.THAT is why i made the comparison to the R8,because at this moment in time it represents the same thing.There is no other car out there with the same platform layout to compere the NSX to.Ferrari are too expensive and fragile,and Lotus are not as refined and are too fragile.

The 3 NSX's i bought represented good value for money TO ME. Even the 04 was priced very competatively compered to others of the same year at the time of sale. TO ME, it no longer represents that,the game has moved on,and there are better bang for your bucks cars of the same layout out there.

I have owned 3 NSX's and loved every minute of ownership of all 3, but i would not return to the NSX if i was again in the market for such a car,because as i said,the game has moved on,and the NSX is now too expensive for what it is,TO ME. Please don't misunderstand me,i hope you all enjoy your cars as much as you can,they are fantastic cars, they are just not an ownership propostion for me any more due to their rapidly rising prices.

Regards,

Ivor.
    You clearly have an eye for a bargain Ivor. A building plot with planning for a 5 bed house for 30k sounds fantastic compaired to what that would cost in Dorset ( ad another 0)
    Scott
    1994 Red/black roof NA1 Manual
    1993 Red/black roof NA1 Auto - SOLD
    2001 Imola Orange Pearl NA2 T manual - SOLD
    2019 Mercedes GLC - Daily Drive

Previous Toys
    Chesil Porsche Speedster
    GTD GT40 5.7 L Ford
    2008 CAV GT40 5.7 L Ford Audi 6 speed trans
    Ultima Sports 5.7 L SBC, G50 trans
    Superformance AC Cobra 427 SC
    Factory Demonstrator Ultima Sports 5.7 L SBC, G50 trans