Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet another NSX interior mod (ok, I was bored.....)

Default Yet another NSX interior mod (ok, I was bored.....)

Obviously you can’t improve on perfection, but you can have another cubby hole to store stuff in! As storage in the NSX is sparse, and inspired by a thread on prime, I had a play with my car. Obviously I’ve been bored since easter and the epic cambelt, water pump, LMA and so on!!!!

So the plan is to make a S2000 centre console compartment that goes between the seats fit between the NSX seats… thanks to Hugo and Shawn on NSXPrime for the idea!!

So starting with this…

the idea is to go from this…

to something like this….

Last edited by britlude; 21-04-2012 at 05:27 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

not wanting to go too mad, I slowly started to ease the 2 bits together…

slowly trimming back til the 2 parts are where they need to be!

basically lots of trim/test fit/trim/test fit!!!

Once the S2000 door section was basically there, the cubby box had to be chopped off, as there’s not enough room for the full depth….

behind the centre console, the NSX has a raised section in the bulkhead, not sure why just yet, plus a fat bunch of wires added to the mix…
    Last edited by britlude; 29-03-2022 at 08:03 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

my plan was always to use the S2000 ‘lid’ on the project, as it’ll make trimming easier, and I wanted to retain the centre speaker, so this was trimmed down to suit….

and the top set up to take the speaker moulding….

trimming and test fitting later, the speaker mount fits into the reworked lid

and bonus is that the curve on the speaker mount is spot on for the lid
    aka Jonathan!!

so the 2 bits were glued together, and the join blended in…

a quick trim in leather and the original speaker cover fitted, it all looks like it’s always been like it!

with the speaker mounted, the main unit was trimmed to suit once more, allowing the top cover to sit correctly….

I also fitted the console into the car, and mocked up the cubby hole sides to match the bulkhead, then used the cut off box to make up the sides. an added complication is a boot release switch in the S2000 setup, which has a mounting moulded inside the box. This was deleted too

as you can see there is no bottom/back in the box. the bulkhead has a rubberised sound-proofing layer so I decided to utilise this, adding a little more capacity .
    aka Jonathan!!

next up, once the glueing was all finished, was to trim, another piece of leather going to the cause…

mmmmmmm.... evostik

you can see at the top the leather has a join in it, this is where the excess was removed. when trimming, the leather would either have to be sewn to shape, or have a huge stretch in it to cover the 'dome' at the top, this was why i wanted to keep the lid. the 'dome' is now a separate smaller piece with short rolled edges.

trimmed up…. (with the lid in place)

Last edited by britlude; 21-04-2012 at 05:54 PM.
    aka Jonathan!!

then it was a case of finishing up! The box was lined with a very thin sticky backed foam (I bought it as dolls house black carpet that I wanted for the NSX model I have!) and a piece was added to the bulkhead, for continuity. Also the speaker wire was extended….

and the final mockup…
    aka Jonathan!!

all bolted in…..

door opens! And just misses the seats!!

and I can fit a can in it!!!

more this way!!!

very pleased with the outcome!!
    aka Jonathan!!

Nice one!! Little extra storage would come in handy.

Seen the guys on prime doing something similar too.
    “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

後は、残っているものに関係なく、不可能なことを排除する方法 ありそうもない、真実でなければなりません。

Excellant modification! Once you got the mod itch, you can't stop scratching!

May be channel some cold air to cool your drink cans via some pipes from the rear hatch vents?
    1999 3.2 Manual 6 Spd Coupe
    Honda's Finest Hour

Nice work looks factory finish and any extra storage is a big bonus in our cars especially when carrying a passenger

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast