PDA

View Full Version : electrical gremlin!

candyman
11-04-2012, 03:56 PM
I have a strange electrical problem. I had a new battery fitted to my immaculate 04 beauty last year by my local Honda dealer. I didn't get much chance to use it over the winter. I bought a k-tek trickle charger which indicates that the battery is fully charged yet it appears to be flat when I try to start the engine. It starts easily with jump leads but when I went for a run , the battery was flat after sipping a pint! The car is totally original and hasn't had anything fitted which could affect the electrical system, any ideas?

NSXGB
11-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Have you got a voltmeter or multi meter? You will be able to check that the charger is actually 'trying' to charge the battery when it's supposed to. If it is, I'd guess a dead battery. As you bought it from Honda and they fitted it, I'm sure they could check it out for you and replace under warranty?

Hagasan
11-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Most probably a cell has gone in the battery. Had exactly the same problem on my daily runner out of the blue...

Sudesh
11-04-2012, 05:39 PM
I would pretty much agree, have it checked first and see what volts are there while the car is running and put some load on too, as in turn on the rear screen demister.

What brand is that charger?

Hagasan
11-04-2012, 05:47 PM
I would pretty much agree, have it checked first and see what volts are there while the car is running and put some load on too, as in turn on the rear screen demister.

What brand is that charger?

K-tec was what he said. Also on my motorbike the same thing happened with a trickle charger. I think the batteries don't like being continually charged without being exercised as in a load placed on then from time to time then charged again. Maybe the more advanced chargers simulate this? I don't know as I've never looked into them that deeply.

Nick Graves
11-04-2012, 06:14 PM
The C-Tek ones do; they only top up when it needs it. and shock it in order to knock off sulphate deposits.

You probably shouldn't have let the battery sip that pint!

You have checked the terminals for corrosion, fit, haven't you? It may be fully charged, but if there's a massive lot of resistance when you drop it...

Failing that, it might have gone bad. I'd dig out the receipt & see what they say.

Can it cope with the electric windows etc?

Sudesh
11-04-2012, 06:23 PM
K-tec was what he said. Also on my motorbike the same thing happened with a trickle charger. I think the batteries don't like being continually charged without being exercised as in a load placed on then from time to time then charged again. Maybe the more advanced chargers simulate this? I don't know as I've never looked into them that deeply.

Yeah I seen that but wondered what it was lol. Never heard of it before. I've been using a trikle charger on my car for 4 years now, never had any issues, but it's a good intelligent maintaining charger.

jpspringall
13-04-2012, 10:48 PM
I brought the charger that Sudesh recommended, and served me well last winter