PDA

View Full Version : Tuning question (with dyno chart provided!)

Tokyo-Joe
07-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Hey guys,

I just had my car dyno'd and got numbers that dissapointed me, I was expecting circa 300hp at the fly but only managed 274.6hp on a Dyno Dynamics at SRR.

As you can see the power is nice and linear but the fueling is shot to hell! What's going on there?

Mod list:

3.0 50k miles with decent compression
NA2 manifolds
Decats
Pride V2 exhaust
Stock intake box with ram filters
DF intake

Thanks,
Joe

m666 edd
07-04-2012, 06:05 PM
I dunno but decats have never really been known to benefit an NA NSX. Normally just messes things up.

AR
07-04-2012, 06:18 PM
The pride exhaut also restricts the exhaust flow.

Check O2 sensors, fuel filter, plugs, injectors, fuel pump, etc.

When I had my 3.0 as NA it produce from 290 upwards.

Senninha
07-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Hi Joe,

I'm no expert but from your above list it appears you've made changes to let the gasses out but maybe not enough to let the engine draw in enough air.

Check the items Ary lists and ensure all the basics are right, timing, clean throttle body, filters etc

Good luck with the re-run

regards, Paul

NSXGB
07-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Did you find your SCS terminal?!

Tokyo-Joe
07-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Did you find your SCS terminal?!

Not yet mate, I ran out of time fitting tyres haha. It's on the list I guess I need to do all of the above anyway :)

gumball
08-04-2012, 09:05 AM
The noodle exhausts sound great but I think are known to sap some power from the car. As we arn't competing with anyone I guess the sound is arguably more important really. :bigsmile:

Tokyo-Joe
08-04-2012, 10:03 AM
I love the exhaust and don't mind it sapping some power but I expected the NA2 headers alone to increase by 10-15 from what others have dyno'd.

My plan is to check scs for errors, then do plugs and fuel filter. Failing that I will go for the prospeed rom tune and possibly the rdx injectors. Fuel pump is giving no signs of being on its way out to me, no whining or cut power.

m666 edd
08-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Definitely make sure you've got the fueling sorted before doing any 'prospeed rom tune'

Don't want to try and tune over a problem.

Danny Boy
08-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Ok,
I have no direct experience of tuning NSX engines - but theory works for all internal combustions engines - my experience is with big V8`s.

Whenever you are planning even mild engine upgrades, you need to know exactly what it is you want to achieve, you must go through the whole set-up to balance everything so it works together - I`ve seen so many engines that have ad-hock parts put on them, only to bring the power down from stock. Its easy to think headers and filters will realease power - but its often valves, heads and cams that choke at high revs. As already mentioned, check everything. No point in having good gas flow out if nothing can get in. With an engine such as the 3.0, it would probably work out cheaper in the long term to just drop in a later 3.2 and let Mr Honda deal with the development......

I did almost kill myself when the throttle jammed open on a 7ltr fire breather - I killed the ignition at 7500rpm and almost ran out of road - As a rule, I`d stick with stock...... where do you stop?