PDA

View Full Version : Cemtre speaker and headlight prob.

mutley
14-01-2006, 04:24 PM
HI all, next on my problem list, my off side headlight pops up but doesn't go down, causing the sheer awkwardness of popping the bonnet and winding down manually. Is this common. The motor must be ok as it goes up fine. Is it a simple relay replacement?

Also all I get out of the centre speaker is a high piched whine, how do I get to the speaker, is it a case of having to stirp out everything behind the seats?

Cheers guys, I think I'll be owing you lot a few beers for all this!!

mutley
14-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Cancel the speaker question, downloaded the service manual which answered my first thought.......having to take out practcally everything behind the seats. OH JOY!!

Mr_Spanners
15-01-2006, 04:25 PM
Before you go dismantling the rear panels it's 99% certain that the speaker is OK.... it is fed from an amplifier in the passenger footwell which also supplies the feed for the small subwoofer found down there. It's a sure-fire bet that this amp has failed.

You might want to disconnect the speaker in the footwell as it's likely the sub will be disfunctional too.

There's lots on NSX Prime about amp repairs!

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23819&highlight=amp+repairs

As for the headlight - it could be the relay although there's a chance that the mechanical arm that pulls the light back down could have broken or become disconnected. When the light is supposed to retract can you hear the motor working on the affected side?

Hope this helps!?

~Phil.

mutley
15-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Cheer Phil, I was about to start ripping out the interior, but I'll check that amp now ( that might be why the divers door speaker isn't working either.)

As for the headlight, I have had a good look in and around it, I can't see of feel anything broken, so I think that mechanically it is ok.

Mr_Spanners
15-01-2006, 05:02 PM
The door speakers also have individual amps....

The audio config for the NSX is...

Three amps - One each for the doors (fitted in plastic enclosures inside the door which also house the door speakers) with the 3rd amp being in the footwell driving the sub and centre channel (rear) speaker. The Head Unit has no amplifier inside and instead uses the 'speaker out' wires as low-level outputs to feed the amps.

The Bose amps are prone to failure but they can be repaired (in the USA). I'm sure there's someone on here who's sent their amps away to the States to be fixed??? The bad news is you'll have to get them out of the car to send them away!

~Phil.

Ian.M
15-01-2006, 08:34 PM
Hi

I have the same problem with the floor speaker and the centre rear speaker. Took out the floor speaker and amp today with the intention of sending it to Willman's Electronics in Texas but their web site suggests buying a new speaker $150 plus P+P plus exchange core of $50. I have e-mailed them (Darylw@willmanselectronics.com) so I will keep you posted. They accept PayPal.

I am thinking of just buying one outright rather than sending my old one to them.

best
Ian

mutley
15-01-2006, 09:09 PM
I think I would rather just install a more up to date system, not sure how to get past the problem of that the stereo not being the standard DIN fitting, but Isuppose it will mean a custom job. I'm hoping to go along the SAT-NAV route. so I think the best solution for my sound system is to start from scratch with a new system! You would think that there would be someone in the UK that could handle the repairs though.

britlude
16-01-2006, 05:51 PM
you can buy new Amps direct from Bose in Germany and fit them into the housings, I replaced both amps in the door speakers for about £160 the pair delivered....

here's what Bose said...

Thank you for your message.
We are to read about the difficulties you are currently
encountering with the amp in your NSX.
If the issue is clearly limited to the passenger door
only, chances are that the amp there actually has a problem.
Did you hear any unusual noises prior to the failure?
We just like to make sure that the purchase of a new amp
really resolves the problem.
Regarding the amplifier we would like to ask you to contact
"proService" , Mr. Werner Thorum.
[e-mail: SERVICE@proService.biz, Tel: 0049 221 9704090]
Mr. Thorum will be able to offer you the requested single
amplifier. ( at a more reasonable price)
Please ensure that the speakerbox will be sealed after the
exchange of the amp. A "leaking" box may reduce the sound
quality (badly).

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate
to contact us again.

Best regards

Frank Mueller
Bose Automotive GmbH
Customer Service Team Europe

duncan
16-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Headlamps, again do a search on Prime, the system has separate fuses(?) and relays for up and for down, for left and for right. Start by swapping the good ones for the ones on the side that dosn't work. The probability is that the problem will be in the relays or the connections. By about 10 to 15 years solder joints on the like become a little suspect.
Have fun!

mutley
17-01-2006, 01:25 AM
Thanks Duncan, but you won't beleive this, tonight the other headlight started playing up, that one goes down and not up!!! I did downloead the service manual so I'll have a bit of studying to do to see if I can rectify this. If push comes to shove I'll bite the bullet and get Honda to have a look !!!

daniel1971uk
31-01-2006, 01:57 PM
I hit a similar problem, the let hand door unit seemed to have failed and I couldn't find a reasonablyprced replacement/repair.

I got a set of templates from the US that completely replace the Bose units and allowed me to install far better speakers, with separate tweeters and crossovers. Then installed an amp behind the seats to power them.

Next up I got my hands on a rather neat Kenwood subwoofer system that uses two oval shaped subs. Installed one of these and the amp on a custom mdf board that I cut out to replace the existing metal cover plate in the passenger footwell and am currently deciding how to install the other in the centre speaker location between the seats... that may be more difficult!

All in all a pretty simple solution and for what it cost far better sounds.

I also got myself the fibreglass console template so I can replace the head unit soon with a single DIN/Mp3 item.

If anybody needs contacts for these items I'm happy to help.

Daniel

Flinty
01-02-2006, 01:24 PM
sorry if i'm hijacking the thread.

Replacement Centre consoles can be had from Dali Racing. They can be cut quite easily to suit a single DIN head unit. Cost $120 plus shipping. GreyBloke has recently done his and it looks v good.

I have a spare FibreGlass unit that awaits painting - provisionally sold subject to offer price being accepted by Dali - but will let you know if it's available. Just PM me if you're interested.

Mutley - well done mate - you're a braver man than me. Once your project is finished, you'll be a very happy man. Good luck and keep us posted.

Flinty

mutley
01-02-2006, 04:47 PM
HI all,
Well I think I have finally stuck on the new system rather than overhaul. I am looking at the Pioneer AVIC X1R system. Now as for the console, I will probably order a new one and rather than fiddle about with the one fitted. I wouldn't mind one in carbon fibre as I think that looks fantastic. Oh my bank manager is going to hate me after all this!!!

daniel1971uk
01-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Go for it, it wasn't as difficult as I originally feared. You will definitely need to replace the door units though, I bought in a pair of plates that install in directly and stuck plenty of Dynamat around them but to be honest they would have been pretty easy to make.

If you need any help feel free to ask!

mutley
01-02-2006, 04:53 PM
I haven't had the inner doors off yet, but hoping to this weekend to see what needs done. What size of speakers did you fit in the doors?

daniel1971uk
01-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Aah now you're asking. Apparently (and I don't know why) in a small cabin such as the NSX it's really important to use good speakers. I suspect so they still sound good at really low volume which you tend to use more given the close proximity.

The most you can get in the doors is around 6.5", need to be careful with the depth. I used a pair of Phase Audio which also come with separate crossovers and tweeters, cost me about £200 from Car Audio Direct but they are absolutely superb and far far better than the Bose. Eclipse are apparently brilliant but I couldn't find any, or MB Quarts are excellent too.

I got a pair of mounting plates to go in the doors, cost me about $120 inc shipping to UK. Could make them up but this was far easier, perfect fit and good quality. A few sheets of dynamat and that was that.

I cut a small hole in the door panels for my tweeters in the end but they could have gone onto the mounting plates in the door.

I'll explain the sub in another post if you need!

All the best

Daniel

mutley
02-02-2006, 10:51 AM
Yeah Daniel, go for it, there is no such thing as too much info. Although the way I'm going I think I'll have to take a step back and chill . I'm trying to do too much all at once, just sheer impatience on my part. But as I have no sounds in my car at the mo, i've moved this to top priority...... although the engine sound track is still nice to hear .

daniel1971uk
02-02-2006, 11:09 AM
OK, well I also bought a Kenwood KFC-WDA69RC system, I think it was about £120. This consists of a small amp and two 6x9 woofers. It won't shake your kidneys out but it'sa lot better than the Bose and complements the Phase speakers in the doors nicely.

I removed the metal plate in the passenger footwell (it just unbolts) and took out all the existing subwoofer parts in there. Then cut an mdf template to go in its place and installed one subwoofer into it and also the amp on the back. My cunning plan is then to install the second subwoofer in the centre speaker compartment but (ahem) space was rather tighter in there than I anticipated... so I need to find some time to look at that idea again.

I have seen slimline subs that can go under the seat, or Clarion do a small active unit that I've seen installed behind the seat in an Esprit... nice idea but can't comment on sound quality.

Have a think on it, if you need any contact details let me know and I'll PM so as to not offend any other vendors on the board!

All the best

Daniel

mutley
02-02-2006, 01:51 PM
That sounds spot on, I know what you mean about the space in between the seat, I had that thought too, i'm used to haveing a lot more space to work with, but isn't that half the fun?

Are you going to post some pics when you're done, it sounds like you've done a cracking job.

daniel1971uk
02-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Will do!

nigel
19-01-2007, 04:47 PM
This is the same subject I have been directing MINCH to address. ALL the earlier NSXs have a problem with the amps shorting because of to much heat buildup and they will go off. The centre speaker is driven by the amp that drives the sub in the floor. No need to remove the seats or anything there to get to the problem. The amp is in the box under the carpet on the passengers side. 3, 6 mm bolts. Most all amps in the US cost $1100 to replace at the ACURA dealers so unless you are simple or rich, it's cheaper to replace the system than to repair it.
Thus, enter Brian K. He will repair all three of your amps, one in each door and one in the floor for $70. US each, plus shiping. On the same note your CCU will go bad as well on the earlier cars, you can tell it's going off as the first symptom usually is the fan will only work on high. Mine just kept shuting down for no reason. This will happen on the earlier ones. $2300. US at Acura.
He will repair them as well and it will no longer a problem. $210. Plus shiping, US. As the pound to the dollar is 1.97 to 1 as of yesterday, just do it.
When you have one amp go bad, the others are no far behind so pull them all and be done with it, you will only have to take the door panels off once. The reason I know all this is from asking alot of question when I found out what Acura was prepared to do to me, with no grease, to fix mine when they went bad.

Brians e-mail is briank@nsxe-repair.com
I think you can get to him through an NSXPrime site by typing in NSX CLIMATE CONTROL AND BOSE SPEAKER/AMP REPAIR once you are at NSXPrime and in search. Or go to the DIY site there and look for someone bitching about there stereo or CCU going off and you will see good things about him there.

Cheers
nigel

WhyOne?
19-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Lots of good, helpful information their Brian - thanks!!

Going somewaht off-topic, is see you are in southwest Florida - a fantasic part of the world. We regularly take our holidays (vacations!) in the Naples / Marco Island area - I spotted 3 NSX's last August, 2 yellows and a red (yellow works a lot better under Floridian skies than it does here!) I picked up a couple of bits for my NSX from Germain Acura - not the cheapest source in the US, but they were helpful enough. Is this your 'neck of the woods' by any chance??

NSXGB
20-01-2007, 11:40 AM
Does anyone know whether the door speaker amp is the same as the amp for the bass and centre speakers?

mutley
20-01-2007, 01:14 PM
I have removed the bass speaker and amp but haven't got round to removing the ones in the doors. At a wild guess I'd say they will be different, but don't know for sure.

I know that was about as useful as a handbrake in a canoe, but lets face it, nothing is simple with cars, so my money is on tham being different.

Jim

Steveycaz
31-01-2007, 06:07 PM
This may be a dumb question but where is the sub-woofer in the passenger footwell? I have lifted the carpet and can only see metalwork. where exactly should I be looking. My centre speaker is also duff, only letting out an annoying rattling sound. Is it worth replacing the sub-woofer amp?

mutley
01-02-2007, 12:12 PM
This may be a dumb question but where is the sub-woofer in the passenger footwell? I have lifted the carpet and can only see metalwork. where exactly should I be looking. My centre speaker is also duff, only letting out an annoying rattling sound. Is it worth replacing the sub-woofer amp?

When you lift up the carpet, there will be a metal plate, remove that and the sub woofer is there (it's not very big and is contained in a plastic box that houses the sub speaker and amp.) It only takes a few mins to remove.

Hope that helps

Jim

Steveycaz
01-02-2007, 01:34 PM
When you lift up the carpet, there will be a metal plate
Thank Mutley - now I'm really going to be dumb; how does it 'woof' if its underneath a metal plate and a carpet?

mutley
01-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Thank Mutley - now I'm really going to be dumb; how does it 'woof' if its underneath a metal plate and a carpet?

OH I have no idea, but that's where it is!! I think that the metal plate is just to stop any damage from pasengers feet, and maybe the "woof" just used bass notes. I'm only guessing as mine has never worked, but I am just going to rip the whole sound system out and install aftermarket stuff from scratch. I thinkn that will be easier.

Cheers

Jim