PDA

View Full Version : Should we start an NSX "Builds" section?

Senninha
22-03-2012, 10:40 PM
With a couple of owners embarking on their own refresh programmes, is now the time to consider adding a new forum thread area?

Over on Prime they have an NSX "Builds" section. It started about a 15 months ago and now has a number of interesting threads running. These are for owners that are either rebuilding / refreshing an NSX or those developing a project car.

Please provide your thoughts and votes and if there is strong enough interest I'll ask forumadmin to introduce the new area.

Many Thanks

AR
22-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Fwiw I think is a great idea, specially since I keep getting the urge for a project!

NSXGB
23-03-2012, 06:48 AM
Don't think there are enough projects on the go in this country, blog is ideal for it.

nobby
23-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Blog is best option

Kaz-kzukNA1
23-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Followings are my feedback after creating long-long ‘Health Check Service’ thread in the Technical Forum and the regular usage of Blog section.

Blog is good if you want to get two way communications on a very specific subject.
To me, the comment section is the key for any successful Blog.
It will also prevent the discussion from going off-topic.

However, it is not easy to attach certain file format in the comment as it is designed for a quick chat and thus, comment is not the place for detailed discussion involving photos, files, etc.
For this, I had to start new thread in the forum to discuss further on the detail of the topic.

If the project is going to be over several months, it could be hard to search for the previous post if the topic was not well categorized.
I had to spend long time and modified the category several times until I felt comfortable enough considering the search engine.

If posting through mobile devices using application such as forum runner, Blog section is not enabled for this.

Posting in the thread format will allow the user to back up all of the posts in one page quite easily even the project could continue for many years.
This will assist in searching for the specific word.
Within the site, short single sentence such as ‘ABS’ won’t start the search feature.

Other owners can easily post reply including photos and other files but because of the top-down flow, if someone posts something off-topic, it could end up with different subject for a while. From a certain point of view, this could be a good thing.

If you are heavy mobile devices user, you may prefer using forum runner to upload the new post quickly and it is enabled on our forum section.

So, I think it will depend on how the project owner would like to express his/her view on here in Thread/Blog format considering several points.

One thing for sure, we don’t want to see someone posting part of the project in Forum and others in the Blog….

Not sure how many projects will happen within this small community but if it is not big task to setup a new forum area or slowing down the page upload speed, why not try it.
Blog is already there and even someone has already started a thread, it should be easy to move from one forum section to the other.

Kaz

m666 edd
23-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Is it possible to make the "What's New?" button list new blog posts as well? I for one pretty much only open up NSXCB with that function. As the forum isn't hugely active it's the easiest way of seeing all new posts. The downside is I often miss Kaz's updates as I have to remember to look at the blog section. I think others would find this useful also.

Tokyo-Joe
30-03-2012, 05:18 PM
I really rate build threads and vote yes. I would certainly contribute.

Senninha
06-04-2012, 09:35 PM
OK Boys and Girls,

Only a limited number of responses, but they do give a good variety of feedback. We did giet more votes, 20 in total, and the extra vote went in favour of starting a "Builds" thread.

So with the vote in favour I now have some work to do to consider what to pull together to give the potential new thread some starters .... and of course, I need to persuade Forumadmin that the changes are worthwhile!

Regards and Thanx for your input,

Paul

Sudesh
06-04-2012, 10:09 PM
The main thing I think, is people would need to distinguish the difference between a build and DIY/refresh/health check/servicing/etc

Builds work well on prime, as there are so many NSXs on there and it's more of a Global site with people that are into modding in a huge way, and the builds can be immense.

I find that here, most of us go with some subtle changes, A spoiler here, new wheels there and the odd stereo upgrade etc etc. I don't think that's enough to warrant a whole new section.

Not much point in starting a build if all that's installed is a new set of wheels, New rear spoiler, air intake and good tyres, then 3 years later you update the thread because a new exhaust is installed lol.

Senninha
06-04-2012, 10:22 PM
........ people would need to distinguish the difference between a build and DIY/refresh/health check/servicing/etc
.........Not much point in starting a build if all that's installed is a new set of wheels, New rear spoiler, air intake and good tyres, then 3 years later you update the thread because a new exhaust is installed lol.

Good points Sudesh. I have potentially 7 cars to focus on but need to speak with the owners first.

I agree that a simple 'refresh' that is essentially a major service / valet would nto warrant a build thread.

Lets see how I get on with the owners ...

Senninha
18-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Quick update ... a new section should be up and running soon with 3 owners ready to continue their builds ... thanx for your support guys