PDA

View Full Version : Grom iPod adapter

Hondaboy
27-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Having trouble with my grom iPod adapter got it with the car worked fine last year tried it yesterday as I'm getting the car ready for the road this year however I'm getting no volume through the car, the unit seems to be working as you can just hear music playing only when turning the cars stereo volume all the way to max. My iPod works fine anywhere else and my head unit works fine on tape and radio so to any users of grom unit have I pressed something to mute it etc or is it buggered :D

Cheers in advance

Nick Graves
27-02-2012, 08:18 PM
Try irritating the connections - may be high resistance/corrosion.

Failing that, it's probably bu ggered.

Hondaboy
27-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Yeah tried that also tried the 3.5mm jack plug and USB connectors on it thought maybe I'd muted it or something from the head unit as you can control some features of the iPod through the factory head unit

Kaz-kzukNA1
27-02-2012, 10:24 PM
I have never used or installed the Grom products as I normally use the one from USA Spec but seemed to be used by a few on here as well as some mixed feedback on NSX Prime.

As I don’t know exactly which model you have but if you don’t have the user manual, you can download it from the Grom web site.

Did you change anything including the firmware on your iPod since last year?
Did you try to change the mode of Grom adaptor?
Anything changed since last year on the Grom?

You may want to contact Grom directly to explain the detail.

Kaz

L696ULO
28-02-2012, 07:51 AM
I've got a Grom in mine, you need turn off the head unit, connect the iPod, wait until the iPod 'syncs' with the head unit and then returns to the iPod normal play screen. Turn on the head unit and it should blast through especially if you have it on max volume! I think that's the procedure I havent used it for a few monhs if it doesn't work then I'll check this evening.

Rich

L696ULO
28-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Hi hondaboy,

Checked he procedure to get the iPod working. When the iPod is sync'd and returns to the normal screen select shuffle or the artist and press play once that is done turn on the head unit and it should work. Once it is playing you can change artist etc using the iPod. It is less complicated than it sounds.

Hondaboy
28-02-2012, 08:57 PM
Hey cheers for that will try it tomorrow and report back do remember the previous owner telling me something about operating it the day I picked the car up but funnily enough can't remember a thing he said about it must of had my mind on something else :D

Hondaboy
01-03-2012, 03:15 PM
Hi hondaboy,

Checked he procedure to get the iPod working. When the iPod is sync'd and returns to the normal screen select shuffle or the artist and press play once that is done turn on the head unit and it should work. Once it is playing you can change artist etc using the iPod. It is less complicated than it sounds.

Success thank you for that was ready for binning it though the volume still seems a bit low compared to playing a cassette or the radio but it's loud enough when I need it.

On a separate note how easy would it be to bring the cd changer lead back through the car into the cabin to locate it in the glovebox for example as this would be quite handy

NSXGB
01-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Would be easier to run a new short lead from the back of the head unit & into the glove box.

L696ULO
01-03-2012, 06:34 PM
The CD changer connection in the boot I believe is part of the original wiring loom, as NSXGB says it would be easier to run from the head unit if possible. From memory the cable goes from the head unit to a connection point behind the passenger seat panel (where I suspect your Grom is) then through the engine bay and into the boot. I'm not sure you can have a Grom and a CD changer, it could be an either or choice?

Hagasan
01-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Success thank you for that was ready for binning it though the volume still seems a bit low compared to playing a cassette or the radio but it's loud enough when I need it.

On a separate note how easy would it be to bring the cd changer lead back through the car into the cabin to locate it in the glovebox for example as this would be quite handy

Tend to agree with NSXGB there. Without checking my car, I think the CD cable is taped up with a few other bits of car wiring...

Kaz-kzukNA1
01-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Hi, Hondaboy.
You have several options here.

As I have never used the GROM kit and I don’t know how long the adaptor cable is so can’t comment on the exact method.

Please visit my thread of ’NSX Technical and Service Information Index 02’ (http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?9724-NSX-Technical-and-Service-Information-Index-02) and look for the ‘Electronics’ section.
In there, you will find the post ’iPod Adaptor, USA Spec PA11-HON’ (http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?6286-NSX-Health-Check-Service/page16&p=66680#post66680) and ’Sample B (Blog Tag)’ (http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/blog.php?1811-Today-at-Atelier-Kaz-NSX-Enthusiast&tag=pa11-hon).
I have also embedded the link to the above sentence for the ease of accesss.

Although the iPod adaptior in the above link is different from yours, hope you can use some of the info/photo and utilize your imagination to create the suitable installation method to meet your demands.

Kaz

Hondaboy
06-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Cheers kaz looks like a better solution for me