PDA

View Full Version : Standard size of rear number plate

Jammy
23-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Hi,

Does anybody know what the standard size of the UK rear number plate is on a 92 (or similar) NSX? As I think is common mine is larger than the average rear UK plate (in height rather than width), and as I plan to replace soon I want to get it right. I can measure and report back if this makes no sense.

I mentioned to Chiswick Honda today as I think I'll replace when it's next in for service, and they gave me spiel about there only being 1 legal size for UK cars. Is this wrong?

Cheers,
James

NSXGB
24-02-2012, 12:07 AM
From DVLA website:

The basic rules for number plates:

You must display a number plate on the front and rear of your vehicle
Letters should be black on a white plate at the front
Letters should be black on a yellow plate at the rear
The background surface should be reflex-reflecting, but not the letters
Number plates should meet the British Standard
Rules on character dimensions differ slightly depending on whether your plates were fitted before or after 1st September 2001. Details are below.
Rules on character dimensions differ for traditional 'black and white' plates, which may be fitted on vehicles manufactured before 1st January 1973.

Number plates fitted after 1st September 2001
Any number plate made up after 1st September 2001 must meet the dimensions as below:

Character Height

79 mm

Character Width (except the figure 1 or letter I)

50 mm

Character stroke

14 mm

Space between characters

11 mm

Space between groups

33 mm

Top, bottom, and side margins (minimum)

11 mm

Space between vertical lines

19 mm

Number plates fitted before 1st September 2001
If you fitted a number plate before 1st September 2001, they must meet the dimensions in one of the two groups below:

Group 1

Group 2

Character height

89 mm

79 mm

Character width (except the figure 1 or letter I)

64 mm

57 mm

Character stroke

16 mm

14 mm

Space between characters

13 mm

11 mm

Space between groups

38 mm

33 mm

Top, bottom and side margins (minimum)

13 mm

11 mm

Space between vertical lines

19 mm

9 mm

Hope that helps?

TheSebringOne
24-02-2012, 12:09 AM
HTH!

http://www.comparenumberplates.co.uk/dvla/legal-number-plate-display (http://www.comparenumberplates.co.uk/dvla/legal-number-plate-display)

simonprelude
24-02-2012, 11:33 AM
I've seen quite a few NSX's with a plate that almost fills the smile recess and this looks silly.
Remember the special sized plates on the Rover 75 (I think or was it the S type Jag?)

The plate size as above only has a minimum border size so the physical plate can be as large as you want.

britlude
24-02-2012, 04:02 PM
so , in summary, if it's a UK car, a standard UK plate fits in the hole. JDM will need a squarer one!

narrower characters allow space for the 'GB' or honda badge/playboy bunny/footy team

Senninha
24-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Plate production is strictly governed so if you buy from a high street outlet such as Halfords, you will get a fully compliant and legal plate for UK & European use. So yes, Chiswick is correct for UKDM vehicles. If you have a JDM car then you will be able to use a squarer plate as per Britludes comment above.

Remember to opt for the euro plate if you intend travelling off the island.

24-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Further to all the comments,

It also seems when I was getting mine made....if you have an import car the registration on the front can be the same as a motorcycle plate. On my car the plate size on the front is small and was made up by the Honda dealership. keeps the front quite neat :)